Guest Libby1971

When did you know?

Guest Libby1971

I have noticed quite a few newbies who have recently joined the site and many are unsure of what to expect.

I thought it might be helpful to let people on their way over, for reccies or perm moves, know when you absolutely knew for sure that you did the right thing.

For me, there were 2 - one within our first week, walking on the beach at Port Willunga as the sun went down and the kids were playing on the beach.

The second was last week when both girls told us, unasked and a couple of days apart, that we had done the right thing by coming and this was now their home.

Libby

Guest macu68

Not yet made the move, but when broached the subject with our children (14,11,7) they don't really want to leave their family but having looked at Adelaide and discussed why we want to go they want to go and experience something different. Kids really want to experience something different, hoping for extra long holidays i think, haha.

Guest Guest75

I'd say very early,in our first reccie trip.

The blooming place just grabbed me and would not let go!!!!!!!:):)

NB - to any cynics............ I'm not trying to paint a glossy picture of life here - just my feelings as asked.:P

I'd have to agree with Tyke on this one. For me it was on my reccie last year.

Although i came over on my own without the family i knew within a few short days it would be the right thing for us all. And coming back for good this time we decided by the end of the first week it was the right thing.

There's just something about Adelaide that has us smitten. It's such a diverse place with so much going on.

But of course it won't be to everyones taste.

Guest macu68

I visited for 3 weeks in 2005 and felt the same, relaxed and at ease. I knew that as a family we would settle here easily, just hope it all comes true.

but a couple worth mentioning:

Christmas Day chasing fish on the beach

Watching the surfers at Middleton whilst having lunch

Our first Aussie barbeque invite

Drinking red wine with good friends and having to put ice in it to cool it down!!!!!

Parking in the City for 20c at the weekend and just going for a wander along the Torrens

The list could go on....

Its not paradise but its a pretty good place for us to be!

Guest Roo1

Ian and I knew 8 years ago, when we arrived with back packs on our backs to our "home" for 2 weeks in Happy Valley.

We knew then, that if we ever had kids, this would be the city we wanted them to grow up in. We toured Australia but Adelaide just stuck in our heads and we couldn't shake it.

After Thomas arrived and we applied for our visa, we had much opposition from family. I'd like to say it made me more determined but unfortunatly I crumbled under pressure and decided not to emigrate.

1 year later though, I made the move and my, am I glad I did. I've been accused on here as having rose tinted glasses but why the hell shouldn't I? I have a much better life than I did in Bolton and I'm very happy with my new life here.

What seals it for me? Everyday I walk along the cove road, early morning and dusk. My view is of the ocean, as far as the eye can see with Glennelg in the distance. Its just breath taking. No, you can stick the U.K, if I'd known back then what I know now, I would have stayed putt in 2000 and applied for my visa there and then.

Judi x

Quite a few things for us as well. Watching our kids feed baby kangaroos at Woodcroft Park just a few weeks after we arrived, strolling along beautiful Brighton beach and the squeals of excitement (from all of us) when we first jumped into our very own swimming pool! Couldn't do that in Birmingham!!!:P:p