huggesy

Kayaking, snorkelling and Christies Beach area

Hi,

I just want to ask a few questions relating to watersports in the Christies beach area.

Does anyone snorkel and what is the visibilty like? and pretty much the same question for the kayaking but obviously not the visiblity side of it! more is it a good area for it? and also is there any restriction for taking kayaks into the water?

They are two things I would really like to start doing when we move over and would like some recommendations of areas etc.:jiggy:

Im progressing past the point of worrying about the move and looking at what a good time I can have once I'm there! is it wrong to be wishing the remaining months way :biggrin:

Thanks

Guest Damien

Now I'm not very good at snorkelling (I prefer to stay above the surface) but the mrs loved it when we lived at Christies. Port Noarlunga is amazing for snorkelling, it's usually clear unless there's been a bit of a blow and there's loads to see on the reef there, you can feed the sweep that live by the jetty bread. You could always come down where we live, the snorkelling is miles better and you can get a good feed of rock lobster and abs, we get people from Adelaide and Melbourne who make the trip here just for that reason.

The kayaking is great too, you can go in the sea or if its rough try up the onk. There are no restrictions in that area, just make sure you wear a PFD (I have fallen off my kayak).

Have fun!

It's like anything you love doing you will enjoy it etc. I have friends who dive and say yes the reef at Port Noarlunga but nothing compared to diving on big recks lol so he has taken up spear fishing. Visibility is usually pretty good most days :-)

They have been running Snuba courses here too.

Kayaking is great and usually safe, I have many friends who compete and of course there is the Surf Ski stuff attached to surf clubs if your into that, always competitions and training going on. As far as I kn ow there are not restrictions.

Hope that helps

Guest smit

Port noarlunga , onk river , southport are all near and great for kayaking on smooth water........or not so smooth for some of us :). Scenery at pt willunga, maslins superb. TBH on a calm sea all beaches worth goin off........you might even be joined by a dolphin friend or two!!!

Guest andylynnchriskirst

How much is a basic kayak?

We had a canoe in the UK, used to take it down to our local beach, but that was rare due to the weather!

Living in Seaford Meadows, basically passing these areas everyday, and kayaking and snorkelling sound amazing!!!

Chris