Guest addison

Unemployment??

Guest addison

I have to ask this rather negative question I'm afraid as it is starting to bug me now!

I have relatives in Queensland and twice now they have advised against South Australia due to high unemployment (apparently Mitsubishi is closing down). We are hoping to get out on partners trade (plumber/pipefitter) which has nothing to do with car industry.

Can anyone lucky enough to be in Adelaide already let me have their views on this.

Thanks everyone

:notworthy:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

hi there

you might want to have a read of The Advertiser today ....

there is an article saying that business is blooming in SA DESPITE the Mitsubishi closure.

www.advertiser.com.au

and this closure was expected for a long time.

good luck and happy reading

regs

sas

Guest addison

Thanks for that Sas, I was hoping someone would give me something positive so as not to ruin my dreams....... maybe my rellies just don't fancy the idea of us moving only a few hours away :err:

Guest Ken
    I have to ask this rather negative question I'm afraid as it is starting to bug me now!

I have relatives in Queensland and twice now they have advised against South Australia due to high unemployment (apparently Mitsubishi is closing down). We are hoping to get out on partners trade (plumber/pipefitter) which has nothing to do with car industry.

Can anyone lucky enough to be in Adelaide already let me have their views on this.

Thanks everyone

:notworthy:[

It is unfortunate that Mitsubishi is closing, I work for Siemens VDO and we are closing as a direct result of Mitsi closing, however there are enough jobs around and it just has to be looked at as part of life, most people from Mitsi are capable to change to another industry and there should be enough jobs for most, after all mining and defence are willing to take a lot, so don’t panic all these guys and girls from Mitsi will get another job and will still be annoying plumbers to come and do some work for them.

All the best

Ken

Your relatives are right! This was our experience and all the other families that were there the same time as us

Guest Denise 42

Hi all

can anyone recommend employment agency for trades ie painters

thanks Denise :)

I read all these negative threads about unemployment and am baffled because I work in the mining industry and we are struggling to fill basic roles. They are paying way over the top rates for office staff such as Document Controllers and are willing to fly in and fly out from interstate just to fill this position. So far no we still have not filled it and its been a month now! There are jobs out there but not quality staff to fill them.

I must admit though for my hubby who is in hospitality, it is a different kettle of fish. He luckily does have a job but is way over qualified but at least its a job and pays the bills.

We've found it's not what you know, it's who you know so it is good to network.

If anyone is interested in working in mining, please send me a PM and I can point you in the right direction. Generally, if you work on "site" it will be 2 weeks on, 1 week off - dependent on the company you work for. If you are an Engineer, you might even be lucky to get a job in the offices in the CBD.

Good luck and don't let negative threads put you off. Everyone has their own story to tell and you probably only get to hear the negative sides on these forums.

Michelle

Guest Leanne & Mark

Whats a document controller??.....and dont say some one who controls documents! LOL;)

You won't need an agency to get a job as a painter, people advertise for them in the trades section of the Advertiser. If you get painter's licence then you can get your own work by advertising in the Messenger which is a local free paper. Each area has one and there is a section to advertise as a painter. It may take a little time to get jobs but there is supposed to be a shortage of tradesmen due to all the building. Once you have done good work for a few people they will recommend you to other people. People in Adelaide like to use tradies that others have had and therefore know they do a good job, are trustworthy, etc. however you still get people who lock up their houses leaving the painter outside with no toilet facilities!

Whats a document controller??.....and dont say some one who controls documents! LOL;)

LOL yes that is exactly what it is. A Document Controller controls the flow of engineering documents and drawings from the supplier and obtains relevant signatures on the drawings within the specified timeframe. They scan and upload the final documentation onto the database and return the "wet signed" documents to the supplier. That is basically what they do.

It's quite a boring job but they pay really well for Document Controllers.