Misplaced

Reccie over with and thoughts

Okay we have finished our reccie trip to Oz and it has been useful.

As some of you will know Adelaide is my home but I have not been back for 34 years and a lot has changed. The main change is all the new housing especially down south of Adelaide.

What did we find useful from our visit: -

Looking at all the different areas such as Henley through to Elizabeth and Henley through to Aldinga. We liked Henley, Glenelg, Brighton etc. but these areas are way out of our budget. Parts of Christies Beach, Hackham, Norlunga Downs were nice but they didn't give us that feeling of home. Seaford, Moana, Aldinga, Willunga and McClaren Vale we felt more the areas that we could make home. We know the travelling would be a journey into the city but we do not think the traffic is anywhere near as bad as back in the UK, and, yes we did travel at different times of the day to try it out. Once we have sold the house we will be lookin to settle in Aldinga, renting first, and if the journey into the city gets to much we can move north a little.

As for schools we visited Willunga and Wirreander. Wirreander was okay but we felt that the way they kids dressed, basically anything seemed to go, it didn't give us the impression that the school cared. I know you don't judge a book by its cover but we have the opinion that care in appearance shows care about schooling, rightly or wrongly. Having said that I think the school is okay but not what we are looking for. Willunga on the other hand seemed to care a little more about how the kids looked, by no means were the kids spotless. We also liked their principles which fitted with ours and the kids liked it as well. They were also very helpful in advising us on what to do with our eldest who has finished school in the UK.

We also entertained ourselves by looking at some new build houses and yes we would like build our own but everyone beware that here are a lot of extra costs to add on to the prices you see quoted. Whether we will build or not we haven't decided but it will come down to a few things one of them being whether we can secure well,paid permanent jobs.

What else did we do? Well we visited some of my old friends and drove around a lot we did just short of 2,500 km in 13 days!!!! The kids went swimming in the sea a couple of times sampling Henley, Port Noarlunga, Silver Sands and Aldinga sea water! Us adults just went and sampled one or wineries!!!!

As for driving in and around Adelaide I didn't find that they drove any worse than people in the UK and most stuck to the speed limits. There was a couple of occasions where we were cut up but hat was it. They do like their Utes with big exhausts which made me chuckle.

The people well they are fantastic! Friendly helpful and caring. We pulled over a couple of times totake pictures and people stopped to make sure we were okay and didn't need any help. In the UK that would never have happened.

All in all the trip has been useful, expensive, but useful and we ALL can't wait to sell the house and make the move permanent.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Mis

Glad to hear it was a success for you all :) Its good to have an idea in your head now of where you want to be and why. Gives it more focus and the feeling of being real. Good luck with the big move.

Guest conor222

Hi there

Thanks for the reccy update - we are going to move in march after never having been there without a reccy are we brave?

;-)

Guest Guest6899
    Hi there

Thanks for the reccy update - we are going to move in march after never having been there without a reccy are we brave?

;-)

We came here without ever setting foot in south Australia too, didn't want to spend 1000s when we could use the money for other things. you can do plenty of research online, base your living areas within what ever distance you want to drive to work and remember we are all different and like different things. We love port noarlunga where we are now and have just bought a house in christies beach.. some people wouldn't be seen dead in these suburbs but i love them.

I don't class us as being "brave" just savvy with our cash.

Lisa

Guest vikkiann
    Okay we have finished our reccie trip to Oz and it has been useful.

As some of you will know Adelaide is my home but I have not been back for 34 years and a lot has changed. The main change is all the new housing especially down south of Adelaide.

What did we find useful from our visit: -

Looking at all the different areas such as Henley through to Elizabeth and Henley through to Aldinga. We liked Henley, Glenelg, Brighton etc. but these areas are way out of our budget. Parts of Christies Beach, Hackham, Norlunga Downs were nice but they didn't give us that feeling of home. Seaford, Moana, Aldinga, Willunga and McClaren Vale we felt more the areas that we could make home. We know the travelling would be a journey into the city but we do not think the traffic is anywhere near as bad as back in the UK, and, yes we did travel at different times of the day to try it out. Once we have sold the house we will be lookin to settle in Aldinga, renting first, and if the journey into the city gets to much we can move north a little.

As for schools we visited Willunga and Wirreander. Wirreander was okay but we felt that the way they kids dressed, basically anything seemed to go, it didn't give us the impression that the school cared. I know you don't judge a book by its cover but we have the opinion that care in appearance shows care about schooling, rightly or wrongly. Having said that I think the school is okay but not what we are looking for. Willunga on the other hand seemed to care a little more about how the kids looked, by no means were the kids spotless. We also liked their principles which fitted with ours and the kids liked it as well. They were also very helpful in advising us on what to do with our eldest who has finished school in the UK.

We also entertained ourselves by looking at some new build houses and yes we would like build our own but everyone beware that here are a lot of extra costs to add on to the prices you see quoted. Whether we will build or not we haven't decided but it will come down to a few things one of them being whether we can secure well,paid permanent jobs.

What else did we do? Well we visited some of my old friends and drove around a lot we did just short of 2,500 km in 13 days!!!! The kids went swimming in the sea a couple of times sampling Henley, Port Noarlunga, Silver Sands and Aldinga sea water! Us adults just went and sampled one or wineries!!!!

As for driving in and around Adelaide I didn't find that they drove any worse than people in the UK and most stuck to the speed limits. There was a couple of occasions where we were cut up but hat was it. They do like their Utes with big exhausts which made me chuckle.

The people well they are fantastic! Friendly helpful and caring. We pulled over a couple of times totake pictures and people stopped to make sure we were okay and didn't need any help. In the UK that would never have happened.

All in all the trip has been useful, expensive, but useful and we ALL can't wait to sell the house and make the move permanent.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Mis

What a fab post!

We are in Aldinga on the Sunday estate. A lot of people call it Little Britain and there are loads of us down here but I love it.

when my hubby works in the city it takes him about 40 minutes I think or so he tells me!

We'd also love to build but not till we've been here long enough to know that this is where we definitely want to settle.

Good luck with the house sale.

Vikki

xx

Guest weegie

Hi Misplaced,

Great post!

I was a bit nervous at first cos we're committed to moving and didn't really want to read that Adelaide had changed for the worse and you weren't going any more.

Maybe the folk that complain about the driving should try a trip on the M6/M61 :biglaugh:

We came here without ever setting foot in south Australia too, didn't want to spend 1000s when we could use the money for other things. you can do plenty of research online, base your living areas within what ever distance you want to drive to work and remember we are all different and like different things. We love port noarlunga where we are now and have just bought a house in christies beach.. some people wouldn't be seen dead in these suburbs but i love them.

I don't class us as being "brave" just savvy with our cash.

Lisa

We had intended on just going over but as we are having difficulty selling the house we had to visit for the OH to activate her visa.

What a fab post!

We are in Aldinga on the Sunday estate. A lot of people call it Little Britain and there are loads of us down here but I love it.

when my hubby works in the city it takes him about 40 minutes I think or so he tells me!

We'd also love to build but not till we've been here long enough to know that this is where we definitely want to settle.

Good luck with the house sale.

Vikki

xx

We toured the Sunday estate on various occasions and it is very nice. Mind you we toured Aldinga on many occasions.....lol!

Hi Misplaced,

Great post!

I was a bit nervous at first cos we're committed to moving and didn't really want to read that Adelaide had changed for the worse and you weren't going any more.

Maybe the folk that complain about the driving should try a trip on the M6/M61 :biglaugh:

Oh no we are still going! As for the traffic I had no real problems with it and felt very relaxed even at busy times and when unsure of where I was going.

By the way the roads are great to drive on.

Oh no we are still going! As for the traffic I had no real problems with it and felt very relaxed even at busy times and when unsure of where I was going.

By the way the roads are great to drive on.

Except at night, or in the rain, or at night when it's raining. Not sure what it's like down south but here there is hardly any street lighting, the lines on the road are faded and there are hardly any cats eyes. Makes for interesting driving when it's dark.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
    Except at night, or in the rain, or at night when it's raining. Not sure what it's like down south but here there is hardly any street lighting, the lines on the road are faded and there are hardly any cats eyes. Makes for interesting driving when it's dark.

It's not any better down this way.

Good point on when it's raining hard there is difficulty distinguishing lanes!

Hi misplaced

I am due to move out to Adelaide later this year with my husband and children. I would be interested to hear what info you were given by the school principal concerning your eldest child. My son was 16 this week and has just finished his GCSE s . He does want to stay on to do A levels if we were in the uk. Do you know how long he will remain in school in Adelaide before going to uni ?

many thanks for any info from anyone

Rocky

Hi Rocky,

We didn't see the principal but another very helpful person at Willunga.

With our eldest we discussed the best route for him as he is not very academic and for him he can do a VET Course in his chosen area which for him would mean going to another school for a couple of days a week. This would cost us on average about $200. He would continue to do his base subjects (maths, English, science) at Willunga.

If he was academic he could choose which subjects to do so he could go onto gain his SACE which could then lead him onto Uni.

I hope this has helped and if you have any other questions just ask.

Cheers,

Mis