R & H

Buying a New Car SA or NSW?

Hi, we are shortly moving to Adelaide and we will be wanting to purchase a new car. I notice on the websites that dealers in SA charge more for the same car than dealers in NSW. Is it possible to negotiate prices down to the NSW prices, or do people buy cars in NSW and drive then back to SA?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks R & H

If you buy a car from another state you will only have the period the car is registered for to use it before you'll be required to re-register it in SA. If you maintain an address in another state you could re-register the vehicle there but otherwise it will have to eventually have an SA plate.

This may require a vehicle identity check before the rego can be issued and may require a vehicle inspection at Regency Park or Lonsdale before rego can be issued. Think of it like an MOT at the harshest testing station you have ever heard of/been to.

Given the hoops you'd have to go through I suspect it might not be worth it however a bargain is a bargain. Bear in mind a lot of used cars from other states are sold in SA because there is no MOT equivalent so dealers bring cars over all the time if they think they won't shift them in other states.

Most info re vehicle registration can be found here

2nd edit: just realised you're asking about a new car. In that case it's a "no, you can't buy a car and drive it back" as NSW won't issue you with a rego plate as you won't be resident in that state. Only way round this is if you know someone who lives there and will let you use their address. You'd need to renew the rego there each year or ultimately re-register it in SA at some point.

3rd edit: 2nd edit didn't make sense when I read it back :(

Edited by sidestep

Just another thought - I know we have to haggle but does anyone have any idewait experience in what percentage discount we should look to get for a new buy?

Guest Crushfamily

If the car is already regostered only an ID check is required which in our experience was nothing more than a tyre kick. The roadworthy is no where near as harsh as a UK MOT having had one of these also. It is just that there are so many death traps on the road here in SA that people fear them.

Buying new or used interstate is very easy and straight forward. There is some paper chasing involved. I bought a car in Vic for around a $ 4000 saving and am just about to buy another with over $ 500 saving. If you're saving $ 500 its probably easier to buy in SA but anything over I'd buy in Vic (Vic appears cheaper than NSW). PM me if you want further info.

A work colleague just bought an second hand Outlander from NSW and drove it back at the weekend. Taking into account flights, stop-overs on way back, fuel, food and re-registering this end he stands to save $4000 (or $5k excluding taking into account above expenses) which is nothing to be sniffed at. Seems worthwhile in my book.

A work colleague just bought an second hand Outlander from NSW and drove it back at the weekend. Taking into account flights, stop-overs on way back, fuel, food and re-registering this end he stands to save $4000 (or $5k excluding taking into account above expenses) which is nothing to be sniffed at. Seems worthwhile in my book.

Thanks Tinkertailerdog, I agree that a lot of $'s that I could save.

One point re secondhand cars in most other states is that they've had a check each year much like the UK's MOT whereas cars in SA haven't so a 10 year old car from interstate may be a lot safer and have been better maintained than a 10 year old car that's always lived in SA. Just a thought.