Sign in to follow this  
Guest K.gordon

Pay as You Go Mobile

Guest K.gordon

this has probably been asked before but......if I bring my own mobile over (which will have been unlocked by the time we come) am I able to buy a sim card and use it as a pay as you go? Its a Sony Ericsson Xperia phone and I'm used to it now, wouldn't know how to turn an iphone etc. on let alone use one!! Any help in this matter would be gratefully received, thank you :confused: Kate

Guest Mrs Vealy

Hi there

I'm not sure about the Sony but I think as long as its unlocked you will be fine.

We have gone with pay as you go with virgin- its free texts and calls to other virgin users and decent coverage

Hope this helps good luck with the move!

Also not sure if you have heard of viber it's an ap you can download and then call and text other viber users for free

Great for keeping in touch with people back home

Guest duicie

kate, look up virgin, vodafone, optus and telstra. telstra will usually charge more, but they have the better coverage and signal. i cant even get my 3 phone or vodafone wifi to work in adelaide now..... as they have been flooded with customers and the network cant handle it.

Guest Richie_T

You can also avoid the main carriers which tend to be more expensive, and buy a simcard from other companies which use the main carrier networks.

Woolworths supermarkets sell a range of these, but also try looking for an AllPhones or CrazyJohns. Useful if it is only going to be short term, as they also have good bundles for calling the UK etc.

Guest nakigirl

I'm using Amaysim pay as you go which uses the Optus network. They also have no contract plans available which are good value for money. I've had excellant reception with them and the customer service has been good too.

Guest Richie_T

Amaysim has really naff data handling, so not good if u log on to the internet a lot. Also try out GoTalk, or Lebara

Guest K.gordon

Thank you for all the information given, its going to be 'fun' sorting it out when we arrive (5 weeks not that I'm counting!)

Kate

Guest ajbritton

Richie_T - Can you elaborate about Amaysim's data handling? I just put an HTC Wildfire S I brought from the UK onto an Amaysim SIM with a data package and it appears to be working. Reception varies but surely that's the fault of the underlying network, not Amaysim?