zebedee

Water quality at Henley Beach South

We're in the process of moving into our rented house in Lockleys and were up there cleaning it today, with the weather being so lovely we decided to time the walk to the beach. The beach was perfect - sandy, big etc etc but what I noticed on our way to the beach as we walked along the Torrens were the signs that warned against going into the water (in the river) because of pollution; if this river drains directly into the sea at Henley Beach South how good is the water quality for swimming? I mean the water certainly looked beautifully clear today but how safe is it for bathing?

I've had a look but can't seem to find any recent surveys and was hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction regarding water quality - now that we've just signed up for 12months at least in the area I'd like to be able swim without fear!

Thanks, again.

Guest Emu

I dont know but everyone swims there. Maybe just avoid the area where the river goes into the sea. At certain times it does smell a bit there. Maybe just walk a bit north towards Henley Beach.

Guest ozdreamsa

The only thing I have seen there is a notice saying do not swim in colored water after rain

I lived on the Esplanade at Henley for two years so looked at the sea there every day. The Torrens outlet is not an issue unless there has been serious rain and it washes the river contents into the sea. It only happens a few times a year - when it does, it pushes a slick of brown water out into the sea that takes sveral days to disperse.

Occasionally when the tide is out, the bacteria in the outlet does smell a bit.

The rest of the time the sea there is very nice- clean and always good swimming. I used to paddle a kayak and saw dozens of dolphins, sting rays, seals and other marine life that wouldnt be there if the water was bad.

Swim and enjoy it:smile: