Guest SunSeekers

Help With School Info

Guest SunSeekers

Hi

This is my first thread so be gentle!! :wubclub:

We are hoping to go to Adelaide in Dec/Jan. Our daughter Helen(3 - will be 4 in May) is due to start P1 here in Sept and I am guessing will restart P1 again in Adelaide in Jan. Is this right? Also, what time do the schools begin in the morning and when do they finish.

We also have a wee boy Ben(5 - will be 6 in April) and he isn't too keen on a lot of change!! are the schools more or less the same as in the Uk? I am trying to prepare him for the move as much as I can and he seems fine with it but I don't know much about the school system over there. Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

I could sit here all night and ask question after question, this site is really amazing, I would have gone mad if I hadn't found it.

Well Done All. :notworthy:

Paul, Sharon, Ben & Helen.

Guest Libby1971

Hello

Welcome to PIA.

Schools generally start at 8.40 and finish about 3.00-3.15am. Lunch is held at morning break as it gets hot so quickly, I presume although this isn't necessarily at every school.

The schools are more or less the same, the only difficulty we hadn't anticipated was when our daughter came home and said her teacher spoke so fast in an Aussie accent that she couldn't understand what she was saying!!!!

Carry on asking questions.

Libby:jiggy:

Our daughter Helen(3 - will be 4 in May) is due to start P1 here in Sept and I am guessing will restart P1 again in Adelaide in Jan. Is this right? .

No, I think, unfortuately she will be starting 21st July, as they start the term after they turn 5. She will be able to go to Kindy for 4 sessions a week though.

Hi,

I have a 4 year old and a 7 year old at school. Hannah turned 4 in Nov and done 1 morning a week pre-entry into kindi the term before her birthday. In january she started 4 mornings a week kindi. This is the most they offer for nursery kids. She will not start full time reception until term after 5th birthday (January 2009). Bailey is 7 and in year 1 - 2 . He finds the work easier here as English kids start school earlier and he did not take long to settle into school life. Lunch is different, They do not have a dining hall at his school so eat their lunch in the classroom and only get 10 mins to do so.

Hope this has been some help to you

Wendy

Guest SunSeekers

Thanks for the replies. :D

I will have some explaining to do now. Helen is mad to get to "Big School" as she calls it. She already attends a Nursey at our local Primary School 2 and 1/2 hours a day and really loves it. Are there set hours for Kindy or does it just depend on which one they go to?

Thanks again

Paul, Sharon, Ben & Helen

Guest mOZzy

is the kindy funded?? the 4 sessions a week.

and if you have youngers kids you'd have to pay full price? do you get a place in a kindy for them? or would you rather go to a playgroup and therelike?

thx

Hi

The Kindi my daughter goes to is a state Kindi attached to the local primary school and I pay approx $30 a term. There are private child care centres where younger children can go but I cant help with the prices on these as my youngest is home with me.

Wendy