getting settled in your rental place

Guest bubbe2005

Guest bubbe2005

What were the setup fees for Electric/gas and water?

With the Broadband, do I HAVE to purchase the modem/router from the ISP? Can I not use my own netgear router? Fyi, here with Time Warner, the co-axle cable is plugged into the MODEM, then the Ethernet cable is connected from the modem to the netgear router (I am not sure how it's setup over there)?

Also, I want to use my small electrical appliances that I have (hairdryer, floor lamp, rice cooker), I am assuming I will need this to convert the plug/mains?

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Pacific-Adapter/dp/B00194DBOI/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1347806378&sr=8-30&keywords=australia+travel+adapter

Guest vikkiann

Water was already connected. I think gas and electric were about $40 to connect. With our Internet we signed up with Telstra and received it all in the post, plug it in connect to phone line and away we go.

we changed plugs on loads of electrical stuff, hubby buys them in Bunnings for $2.50 each.

With the Broadband, do I HAVE to purchase the modem/router from the ISP? Can I not use my own netgear router? Fyi, here with Time Warner, the co-axle cable is plugged into the MODEM, then the Ethernet cable is connected from the modem to the netgear router (I am not sure how it's setup over there)?

Also, I want to use my small electrical appliances that I have (hairdryer, floor lamp, rice cooker), I am assuming I will need this to convert the plug/mains?

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Pacific-Adapter/dp/B00194DBOI/ref=sr_1_30?ie=UTF8&qid=1347806378&sr=8-30&keywords=australia+travel+adapter

Hi, we didn't have any set up fees for electric and gas as they had been left on and the water bill is paid by the landlord who then bills it on to us, so no fees there either.

I'm not sure about broadband. According to my OH there was no point in bringing our wireless router from the UK as they use a different system here. Our modem belonged to our service provider so we had to return it. We have broadband with Adam internet and I think we have a modem/wireless router that is all in one, but I don't know if we had to pay them for this or if it was included (sorry, a bit useless I know).

What voltage are your appliances? Australia runs on the same voltage as the UK but I know the USA is different. If your appliances are American appliances that run on 110V then you will probably need adaptors that convert the voltage, although some appliances may have switches that enable to use them on both systems. For UK appliances you can just change the UK plug for and Australian plug.

Hi, Not that this is going to help, but we are having problems trying to get internet connected. The phone line is with Telstra, they will give us a bundle package at $100 p/month, with 200g including free connection and modem, calls included on a 24 month contract or we can have just a phone @ $22. and pay for calls, we then have to add internet on with Adam or Telstra but they only offer 20/20 g on and off peak p/month...confusing stuff if you ask me:( we are not able to have TPG as there is no infrastructure in the area....

Good luck..x

Guest bubbe2005
Hi, we didn't have any set up fees for electric and gas as they had been left on and the water bill is paid by the landlord who then bills it on to us, so no fees there either.

I'm not sure about broadband. According to my OH there was no point in bringing our wireless router from the UK as they use a different system here. Our modem belonged to our service provider so we had to return it. We have broadband with Adam internet and I think we have a modem/wireless router that is all in one, but I don't know if we had to pay them for this or if it was included (sorry, a bit useless I know).

What voltage are your appliances? Australia runs on the same voltage as the UK but I know the USA is different. If your appliances are American appliances that run on 110V then you will probably need adaptors that convert the voltage, although some appliances may have switches that enable to use them on both systems. For UK appliances you can just change the UK plug for and Australian plug.

Hi Nic; May I ask how much your water bill comes to please? is it billed monthly?

Hi Nic; May I ask how much your water bill comes to please? is it billed monthly?

I don't know - we haven't had a bill yet. We're probably not billed monthly though. A lot of houses here seem to be on water meters, possibly even all if them, so your water bill will depend on how much you use.

Guest bubbe2005
I don't know - we haven't had a bill yet. We're probably not billed monthly though. A lot of houses here seem to be on water meters, possibly even all if them, so your water bill will depend on how much you use.

oh ok then, did you guys only just started renting?

Internet will depend on where you live. In a lot of Sheidow Park for example you cannot get ADSL2 as there are not enough copper lines in the ground so a lot of people use Adam's WiMax instead. I have ADSL1 as I don't fancy wireless.

Guest Crushfamily

Save your money! Buy half a dozen 4/6 way UK extension leads and fit Aussie plugs. I have steadily converted my way thru our appliances but then you have all the transformers for things like mobile phones, hair clippers and other stuff that you cannot convert!