Misplaced

Perth?

Anyone on here lived in Perth? If so, why did you move to Adelaide? And what are the main differences between the 2? Any other info on good area'/ bad areas etc would be helpful please.

I think the one thing stands out over on PIO about Perth is that it is more expensive for housing than elsewhere. The boom out there has brought in a big influx of people and costs have risen considerably in recent years. Lots of people comment on how expensive rentals are and also how much property costs to buy in decent areas. Its an oft repeated thing over on PIO.

There are a few threads over on PIO about Perth, in the WA section. Perhaps check those out. Perth seems to be a love it or hate it city for those who moved there. Obviously its not for everyone. It does tend to have the highest rate of Brits moving back to the UK after emigrating out there also. As it not liking it/settling/whatever other reason and so upping sticks and returning from Aus.

My thoughts on it are as a place to settle, it may be lovely but, and its a big but for me, a couple of hours either side of Perth up and down the coast and there isn't really much else (sure this can be said plenty of places in Aus :P ). Adelaide offers the hills, wine region, coast road down to Vic and Melbourne, outback for trips and other things. Sure distances are greater wherever you are around Aus but I just feel that Adelaide has a few more options for us in terms of camping, experiencing some sights/places and so on from the city itself and then its a hop flying to wherever in Aus from a more central point. Singapore and HK are 7 hours or so away, Sydney 3-4 hours, Melbourne an hour or so. Sure flying a few extra hours from Perth isn't a hardship but its something I considered. And I realise not everyone is going to want to go much further than the area/city they live in, but we want to, plan to and for us it seems very doable from Adelaide. For us it was a toss up between Adelaide and Melbourne and as hubby doesn't really like Melbourne then Adelaide it is :)

There was a thread on here earlier this year about the two places which might help:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/adelaide-migration-issues/29411-adelaide-perth-2.html

Here's what I wrote in that thread and what I still believe:

I reckon there's something of a myth about property prices in Perth. Of course if you want to live close to the CBD and beachside you'll pay a premium, but once you get 30-40 mins away from the CBD prices drop a lot and are pretty much on a par with suburbs equally far from Adelaide's CBD.

If you were looking to be close to Adelaide CBD and beachside, say at West Lakes, Tennyson, Henley, Grange, Glenelg or Brighton you'd likely pay a higher price than Adelaide's median and be pretty similar to Perth levels. Perth has more top end suburbs and luxury CBD apartments which pushes its median up, so if Adelaide had three or four extra Glenungas or Burnsides scattered around its median would also be higher, but this wouldn't be a reflection of prices in many other suburbs.

Some on here live close to beach and CBD, but the majority don't - look at how many members of this site are in Seaford, Noarlunga, Aldinga etc. If you were willing to live as far from Perth's CBD as Aldinga is from Adelaide's (in Rockingham, for example), you'd be paying prices pretty much on a level with what you pay here.

Also, I'm not sure why Adelaide is seen as having a lower cost of living – utility rates are higher here as are taxes. Some food is cheaper, some more expensive, usually depending on the season, and overall I'd say there's very little difference.

Jim

It does tend to have the highest rate of Brits moving back to the UK after emigrating out there also. As it not liking it/settling/whatever other reason and so upping sticks and returning from Aus...

... Singapore and HK are 7 hours or so away, Sydney 3-4 hours, Melbourne an hour or so. Sure flying a few extra hours from Perth isn't a hardship but its something I considered.

I didn't know that about Perth having the highest rate of Brits returning to the UK - can you point me towards where you found that info - would be interested in finding out more.

Just a point about the two international destinations you mention - they're both shorter flying times from Perth (Singapore in particular).

Jim

Yep I'm with you Jim on the property prices expensive near the city - little more than Adelaide probably - but when you get around the same distance form he city as say Aldinga is Adelaide the prices are very comparable.

Don't know about food?

Have seen that renting is a bit hit and miss in property quality.

Keep the thoughts coming.

I agree with Jim re house prices & rentals, also with Misplaced. If you live anywhere South as far as Aldinga - - such as Rockingham or Mandurah prices would be the same. There is also the advantage of new Freeways & electric train which probably makes the journey, if working near the CBD, shorter & more comfortable.

I have not found any difference in the price of food or fuel on recent visits. Certainly electricity, rego & water rates are cheaper. And aged pensioners don't have to pay for a driving license.

Distance is an issue but we are closer to Asian countries - - cheaper to Singapore & Bali. Most of us put up with this for the better climate.

I have'nt heard that more migrants return home from here. Perhaps as there are 1,000 people arriving weekly this could be possible.