Tamara (Homes Down Under)

Beware! Airport Car Hire.

Hi,

My OH met a family at the airport last week. They had hired a car over the internet.

However...on their car hire document it had the name of the car hire company and then the address:

Adelaide Airport

Sir Donald Bradman Drive

Adelaide

The car hire company did not operate from the airport (there are many that don't). Sir Donald Bradman Drive is a raod that runs past the airport but you would have no idea whether it was a short walk or quite a distance from the terminal building.

If you hire a car it's best to check whether they are based at the airport or whether they will bring a vehicle through to the airport and meet you there.

In this case it worked out as my OH gave them a lift to the car hire company (a few km away) but there is a real possibility that people could arrive and expect a car hire to be waiting for them. They would then find out that the company is some distance away and they would have to get a taxi or get the company to bring the car through....not a good situation after a long flight!

Tamara

Guest ali

Thanks for sharing this Tamara. I'm sure it will prove useful to many who are on their way to Adelaide.:smile:

Guest Barney Rubble

Good point Tamara,

on my several excursions to the airport i drive past these rental places and never put 2 & 2 together (don't worry it's a bloke thing)

Melbourne & Sydney are really easy but that'll just be due to the overall size i guess :cool:

Guest sedgecl

Hi,

We hired through a rental company on the internet, but they collected us from the airport, all we had to do was ring on arrival and they collected, thankfully we had a mobilbe phone....They collected us in the new part of the car park.

Guest bigal

adelaide airport 5950

Hi,

My OH met a family at the airport last week. They had hired a car over the internet.

However...on their car hire document it had the name of the car hire company and then the address:

Adelaide Airport

Sir Donald Bradman Drive

Adelaide

The car hire company did not operate from the airport (there are many that don't). Sir Donald Bradman Drive is a raod that runs past the airport but you would have no idea whether it was a short walk or quite a distance from the terminal building.

If you hire a car it's best to check whether they are based at the airport or whether they will bring a vehicle through to the airport and meet you there.

In this case it worked out as my OH gave them a lift to the car hire company (a few km away) but there is a real possibility that people could arrive and expect a car hire to be waiting for them. They would then find out that the company is some distance away and they would have to get a taxi or get the company to bring the car through....not a good situation after a long flight!

Tamara

Adelaide Airport 5950 is actually a suburb of Adelaide although it mainly consists of the airport, all surrounding roads including a part of Tapleys Hill Road and Sir Donald Bradman Drive plus all other surrounding roads out to the centres of the road [suburb border line] would be classed as Adelaide Airport.

[h=2]Streets in Adelaide Airport 5950, SA[/h]

Edited by bigal