Guest Costa13

Passport and Visa Name different

Guest Costa13

Hi,

The visa on my passport is stamped with my maiden name, while my valid passport has my name after marriage. My first name is the same its just my last name that has changed. I do have my old passport with my maiden name as well. Does anyone know if this will be a problem when I have to travel to Australia?

Guest tinkham_lee

when my wife and I married we sent a change of information form to immigration with a copy of the new passport and marriage certificate. The visa was transferred from her old passport to her new one, (no new sticker as its all electronic now)

If you don't tell immigration it could cause a problem when travelling as your old passport is no longer valid and immigration wont have the visa details linked with your new passport.

the form is available on immigration website and I believe it can be lodged online (we went into immigration in Adelaide to hand it in)

Yup to the above :)

You need to notify them of the change and give your new passport info so they can link your visa to your new/current passport. Its pretty straightforward apparently and quite a few members have done this.

Guest Costa13

Hey!

Thanks so much for your reply. At the time of lodging the immigration application diac was informed about the name change. However their documents still reflected my maiden name. I thought that maybe they've updated their records but the system doesn't allow them to change it online. Also my visa is in my maiden name and stamped on my valid new passport. Doesn't this mean they have the new passport details. Just wanted to clarify if i still need to update them.

Hey!

Thanks so much for your reply. At the time of lodging the immigration application diac was informed about the name change. However their documents still reflected my maiden name. I thought that maybe they've updated their records but the system doesn't allow them to change it online. Also my visa is in my maiden name and stamped on my valid new passport. Doesn't this mean they have the new passport details. Just wanted to clarify if i still need to update them.

If there is an error on a document (such as a visa grant letter) issued by the DIAC it should be easily corrected. If there is an error on their system it is possible that you will be asked to lodge an FoI request to have it corrected. Contact your case officer.