Josie

Is there a cheaper way to get my medication?

Hi there,

Ive been here for a week now and I'm absolutely loving it. House sorted. School sorted BUT I'm horrified by the prescription prices! I have a newly discovered heart problem and need daily medication. In the uk they could give me 6 months ramipril for one prescription price but here they will only let me have one month at a time for $35!!! So I have to pay it every month!! Does anyone know a way round this? It's sickening as I know this drug is off patent now and only costs £2 a packet to manufacture!!!

Thanks lots for your help. I'm new to all of this Medicare stuff! Xx

Hi there,

Ive been here for a week now and I'm absolutely loving it. House sorted. School sorted BUT I'm horrified by the prescription prices! I have a newly discovered heart problem and need daily medication. In the uk they could give me 6 months ramipril for one prescription price but here they will only let me have one month at a time for $35!!! So I have to pay it every month!! Does anyone know a way round this? It's sickening as I know this drug is off patent now and only costs £2 a packet to manufacture!!!

Thanks lots for your help. I'm new to all of this Medicare stuff! Xx

Pharmecuticals are not covered by medicare, unless you have a health care card then that would entitle you to a discount, try this link for rampril at Chemist Warehouse but you may need to travel to find a store or perhaps order online http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/searchresults.asp?searchsection=products&terms=ramipril&stype=NP&expand=0

Talk to your doctor about including repeats on his prescription and you may be able to get a quantity discount at the chemist. This works for my OH's medication requirements.

Welcome to the Aussie Medicare system! My husband and myself are on at least 5 different prescribed drugs per month ........ it costs us a fortune ......... although we have found that SOME Priceline pharmacies charge a bit less on some items.

Do get a PBS card and save the stickers you get with each script, when (if) you reach the annual cut off point you should get your prescriptions reduced. Having said that, even with all the drugs we have to take we never reach the threshold!

http://www.pbs.gov.au/pbs/home

http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/provider/pbs/

Edited by wizzywozza

Thank you both so much for the advice. I'm looking into the chemist warehouse and there's one nearby too! Thanks loads. X

You can also ask the Pharmacist whether there is a generic drug which is the same composition as Ramipril but cheaper. It may save you money to substitute.

I am the same take 4 tabs a day I have found chemist warehouse is the best place saves me about $35 a month on persciptions.

Guest Guest5035

Heres my answer, i'm on 10mg tablets for my cholestrol, so i get my doc to prescribe me 40mg, then cut them into 4, with my blood pressure i was on coveram, $35 a month, so my doc prescribed me with 2 tablets, same ingredients as the coveram and saves me $9 a month., The wife is on 5mg for cholestrol and gets 20mg and cuts them into 4.

Stevo