Guest The travelling brummie's

migration baggage allowance? airlines?

Hi All, Just a quick question really when finally coming to book our flights back out to adelaide, as this will be a migrating flight as apposed to all our other flights to and from oz either being tourist visa or working holiday visa, are we entitled to more baggage allowance? and how do we go about getting this? would i have to book with the airline directly? thinking either malaysian airlines or singapore?

thanks in advance :)

hiya

If you have a PR visa that specifically says that you have the right to remain "indefinitely" and it is unstamped i.e. you have never travelled to oz using this visa then Singapore airlines will double your luggage allowance to 40kg each and that can be as many bags as you like as long as the toal weight is not over 40 i.e. 2 bags at 20kg each - i spoke to malaysian and as far as im aware they have stopped this facility so Singapore Airlines was the way to go for me - I confrmed this by email with the airline just for piece of mind however when i got to the airport this was not queried at all and it seemed they are well aware of this offer.

just be careful if you are not coming straight to Adelaide from Singapore as internal flights within Oz will not extend such courtesy!!!

Guest MrsC

singapore airlines double your baggage allowance from 20kg to 40kg when checking in at your departure airport with an un used residency visa. Just email the reservations desk at your departure airport and they will email you all the info you need. Good luck.

Thanks Guys i will defo be flying back out with singapore as they are brilliant. So i just book as normal and then email reservations....

:))))

Yup. Your visa is electronic and attached to your passport so it'll show up for them what visa type etc when you check in. Permanent unvalidated gets you the migrant baggage.

If you are worried email them and get confirmation that the double allowance will be allowed and print of a copy to take with you to the airport.

FWIW, no single bag should exceed 32kg total for H&S reasons. They will refuse to take it if it tips the scales over that weight. I'd look to taking 2 bags a piece filled to about 20kg each. Usually that is about the amount weight wise you can squish in for a large holdall or suitcase filled with clothes etc.

Other thing to consider if they come in cheaper is that BA and Qantas now have a set fee for a bag of excess to 23kg. Something like $90 or so. Check their websites. Might work out cheaper paying for an extra bag each plus airfare than going with Singapore and getting the extra. And you'll get 46kg each if you did that as BA and Qantas are 23kg per person usually, unless things have changed in recent times.

Hello all, this thread is particularly pertinent for us as we have just returned from our visa validation trip - reading this then it seems we will not be able to get the extra baggage when we move permanently next year because we have used the visa - even though it was not being used to actually emigrate!?

Hello all, this thread is particularly pertinent for us as we have just returned from our visa validation trip - reading this then it seems we will not be able to get the extra baggage when we move permanently next year because we have used the visa - even though it was not being used to actually emigrate!?

Hiya - unfortunately no you will not be able to qualify for Singapore Airlines extra allowance however you can still revert to the BA/Qantas option as Snifter has explained above

alternatively a plea to the airline might be worth a shot and from what I hear there is a possibility that Emirates may do a similar thing when there route is up and running from Dubai to Adelaide however this is just a rumour and not confirmed so please dont take my word for it!!! I am a travel agent over here so if i hear anything else i will post it on the thread

Thank you OKMorris - what a shame, I wish I had realised this before our trip! Just looking at the Qantas options online now but annoyingly Singapore Airlines are currently about £100 cheaper on the fare alone at the moment so the Qantas option adds quite a bit on including the baggage fee. Will keep an eye out on this thread though and also may well try a plea to Singapore Airlines direct - no harm in asking!

You can ask Singapore if you can have extra but they won't give you the full double allowance. Most people seem to get an extra 5kg is all. I've read on occasion some people getting a bit more but defo not the extra 20kg or anything close to it.

I just got a response from Singapore Airlines who have said that as a "gesture of goodwill" they will give us an extra 10KG each - so an allowance of 30KG each for free. This may actually be enough for us to consider them and I am pretty pleased with that - will have to weigh it up against fare prices and the Qantas option of a set fee nearer the time but this was a nice gesture given we have used the visa once already.

Thanks for the advice etc on this thread, as ever a source of wisdom, reassurance and advice.

You know you get 30kg as standard on Emirates. Not sure when you are actually departing but from sometime next year, earlier than later iirc they will be flying direct to Adelaide. Might be worth checking them out also.

TBH I'd fly Singapore given a choice every time regardless of if they give excess or not. I really rate the airline. I've flown Qantas and BA also to Aus and they are fine but SA tops the lot IMHO.

I didnt know that so thanks! Although our actual plan (leaving end of March 2013) is to fly into Melbourne first for a friends wedding and then drive the GOR to Adelaide with our stuff so a direct to Adelaide flight is not a priority for us. Worth knowing the limits though - also I have NEVER heard anything other than praise for Singapore so we would like to fly with them if it is feasible.

Guest wolvesaussie

Interesting, just stumbled accross these posts didnt realise you could get the extra luggage allowance. Does it have to be a PR visa? We just put in an application for a partner visa last week which is TR for the first two years after application.

Also, hello to do locals, from shifnal and Birmingham :)

Guest guest8040

Snifter we're flying Emirates from Newcastle to Adelaide, they are starting the flights this month, going to check out baggage - thanks!

We did a three day stop-over in Singapore on our way here in July and when we checked in at Singapore they queried our excess - fortunately we had printed the email (and knew where it was) so it was fine. My point being: make sure you print your email stating whatever they're offering you and then it's all easy.

Interesting, just stumbled accross these posts didnt realise you could get the extra luggage allowance. Does it have to be a PR visa? We just put in an application for a partner visa last week which is TR for the first two years after application.

Also, hello to do locals, from shifnal and Birmingham :)

Yes, it usually it has to be PR for the migrant allowance. I've heard of the odd instance when people got the double allowance with Singapore on other visas but they seem to usually only dish it out for PR. A partner visa isn't usually counted in the migrant allowance as I understand it.

Over on our sister site, PIO I often read of people on temp visas being refused the double allowance but sometimes being given a few extra kilos as showing good will.

There are other airlines and options for decent baggage allowance or the migrant fares and allowance.

Guest maxfactornackerlacker

Just read this thread . I have already booked my flights with Singapore for January the 8th. I had resigned myself to the 20kg limit as this trip is not our validation trip. I did contact them by phone to check, but they confirmed that it is a 20kg limit.

However, having read the above posts, I have now e-mailed singapore to ask if there is any chance of a 'goodwill gesture' of an increase in the limit for us . I will let you all know if i have any success or not !!

Hope so !! We are really struggling to decide what we are going to take as our 80kg ( family of 4 ) limit to last us for 4 weeks UK, and 8 weeks Aus, before our container arrives ??

Max

Guest markwebsteruk

Hi

My family were in the the same situation regarding extra baggage allowance as we validated our visas earlier this year because we don't plan to emigrate till next year (Sep 2013) but we were able to book flights through an organisation called IOM who got us cut price one-way tickets for emirates for the times we wanted and all included is a 40kg allowance for each of us. If you would like more details then you could PM me.

I think we must have been very fortunate as Singapore Airlines let us all have our two suitcases even though we had visited Australia earlier on our visa! Maybe the fact that I went white as a sheet helped! I also hugged the supervisor who let us have the extra allowance at no extra cost! Probably better to get it in writing though first! :-)

Hi

My family were in the the same situation regarding extra baggage allowance as we validated our visas earlier this year because we don't plan to emigrate till next year (Sep 2013) but we were able to book flights through an organisation called IOM who got us cut price one-way tickets for emirates for the times we wanted and all included is a 40kg allowance for each of us. If you would like more details then you could PM me.

IOM is often used by migrants. Their website and info for those migrating to Aus and NZ is here

http://www.iomaustralia.org/programme_fm.htm

Guest jewels

Hi all, we have previously lived in Australia on pr visas, we returned 5 weeks ago, flew again with Singapore Airlines, we were well over with baggage along with work tools, we told them at check in we were emigrating flashed our pr visas and they let them go all the way through to Adelaide free of charge, even at check in as we had a 4 night stay in Singapore.