Looking for reccie rental near Port Noarlunga

guspjmh

You have to start somewhere and it's only a reccie after all.

The amount of miles that we covered on our reccie was ridiculous, but you have to make sure you are making the right decision for you and your family.

There are a lot of things to consider, where you are going to work, cost of renting and buying if you you like the area and surrounding areas, schooling if it's a factor, cost of living as every area has their own pricing system when it comes to groceries .... we live in Port Noarlunga and don't shop in the area for the big stuff, we go elsewhere, for want of a better word, to the cheaper areas, as it helps to keep shopping costs down.

You'll find your feet and know for yourselves where you want to call home. A reccie and then renting is always a great way to start.

The very best of luck to you.

I'd certainly be interested in knowing where the bestter (cheaper) places to shop are - we will be eating in a fair bit, so will need to stock up and I don't want to spend millions!

It's actually Christies beach our rental is in, buts its about 100m from the Noarlunga border. Using a gps navigator it is only around 18m to the centre of Adelaide. That seems like nothing to me - even at an average of 30mph, it's still only 36 minutes. In the scale of things, given the amount of driving I do in my job anyway, that is tiny!

Edited by guspjmh

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest75
I'd certainly be interested in knowing where the bestter (cheaper) places to shop are - we will be eating in a fair bit, so will need to stock up and I don't want to spend millions!

Keep calling into the Foodland on Collins Parade, Hackham.

They keep having some good special offers on.:wink::wink:

Would be interested to know what you think of Christies when you get back. As when we were cruising around the area, we found some places that looked rough and then round the corner some really nice places.

Where abouts in Christies s the rental if you don't mind me asking or saying?

Enjoy your Reccie we did and clocked up 2,500km in 12 days! That included going to Barrossa and all the way down to Victor Harbour and across to Murray Bridge.

We were definitely more drawn to the South though. I think that maybe due partly to me being from Glenelg and growing up in Port Noarlunga but we went with an open mind about the North and East of Adelaide, however, they did not appeal. I suppose it may also be due to me always living near the sea as well.

Anyway, have a great time.

Misp

Would be interested to know what you think of Christies when you get back. As when we were cruising around the area, we found some places that looked rough and then round the corner some really nice places.

Where abouts in Christies s the rental if you don't mind me asking or saying?

Enjoy your Reccie we did and clocked up 2,500km in 12 days! That included going to Barrossa and all the way down to Victor Harbour and across to Murray Bridge.

We were definitely more drawn to the South though. I think that maybe due partly to me being from Glenelg and growing up in Port Noarlunga but we went with an open mind about the North and East of Adelaide, however, they did not appeal. I suppose it may also be due to me always living near the sea as well.

Anyway, have a great time.

Misp

We are staying in hooper place, christies beach. The rental is: http://www.homesdownunder.com.au/boomerang.html

I'm hoping it's in a nice area, although obviously I have no idea! Tbh as long as the beach and pool are ok, the kids will be fine and my wife and I will be checking everywhere out.

A stones throw from my old Primary school!

The kids will love the beach - which one? Me personally I would go to Port Noarlunga as I think it is better than Christies. Also, try Silver Sands just past Aldinga Beach that is nice as well.

Be warned if you go the chippy near Ray Whites on Beach Road they like their salt!!!!

Another area we liked was Trott Park and Aberfoyle wasn't bad. O'Hallaran Hill is okay as well.

By the way that area of Christies didn't seem to bad.

I think the port Noarlunga beach looks amazing, but we'll try quite a few I imagine! Getting really excited now - I've offered to look after the kids one day to let my mum and wife do a wine tour, but I'm a bit jealous so I may need to get up to sample some myself too!

Are there plenty of restaurants etc in this area, as we will eat out sometimes too?

Resturaunt wise there is a nice Italian at the O'Hallaran Hill shops and we ate at Fasta Pasta a couple of times but as we were staying at friends we mainly ate in as they cooked ;-)

Port Noarlunga beach is great! Ahh! The times I've had jumping in the sea and on to the sand from the jetty - great times. And doing Nippers at the Surf Life Saving Club all great memories.

You'll love it!

Port Noarlunga...not Noarlunga! Very different suburbs!

Noarlunga takes in most of the shopping district whereas Port Noarlunga is residendial.

Tamara

Yes. Thank you. It was an oversight as I was (and am) on my phone and typing in a hurry. I nearly just put in Port but went the extra work and typed out Noarlunga :|

End of the day, the world doesn't end over a word I miss out in a post and the OP had said where they were heading so I'd guess people could work it out from that.

Hi Gus, I know you don't want to live in the city (neither would I) but you should definitely check out Adelaide city centre while you are here. I hate cities but I love Adelaide city. It's relatively small and quiet and surrounded by parklands. Even if you don't go in to the centre you should check out the botanic gardens and surrounding parklands as they are really lovely. The wine centre is worth a visit as well, but you could do it fairly quickly.

If you are wanting to be near the beach make sure you check out all the areas along the coast - they all offer something slightly different. Most suburbs here have plenty of places for the kids to play outside (we live within walking distance of 4 playgrounds and a conservation park plus have the school grounds the kids can use on the weekend). Make sure you go as far down as Aldinga, and possibly even Selicks beach and right up to Semaphore. Personally I wouldn't want to live near the beach but there are some really nice beach suburbs and I can see why people are attracted to them. I really like Glenelg, Grange and Moana as places to visit and we were at Hallet Cove on the weekend and that's really nice as well but the beach is quite rocky. Enjoy your reccie.

Hi Gus, I know you don't want to live in the city (neither would I) but you should definitely check out Adelaide city centre while you are here. I hate cities but I love Adelaide city. It's relatively small and quiet and surrounded by parklands. Even if you don't go in to the centre you should check out the botanic gardens and surrounding parklands as they are really lovely. The wine centre is worth a visit as well, but you could do it fairly quickly.

I love the parklands round the CBD. Hubby used to live in the CBD and the parklands were a short walk away, as was Central Market (2 blocks away!) and access to tram and bus lines to get to Glenelg and other suburbs. I also like the city centre and find it more than enough to wander round. Some small boutiques tucked away and some great little cafes also. And yes, the Botanical gardens are lovely. Also liked the Adelaide Museum and even the library building, stunning from the outside and some interesting bits inside :) All worth a visit.

If you are wanting to be near the beach make sure you check out all the areas along the coast - they all offer something slightly different. Most suburbs here have plenty of places for the kids to play outside (we live within walking distance of 4 playgrounds and a conservation park plus have the school grounds the kids can use on the weekend). Make sure you go as far down as Aldinga, and possibly even Selicks beach and right up to Semaphore. Personally I wouldn't want to live near the beach but there are some really nice beach suburbs and I can see why people are attracted to them. I really like Glenelg, Grange and Moana as places to visit and we were at Hallet Cove on the weekend and that's really nice as well but the beach is quite rocky. Enjoy your reccie.

I will be checking the city out definitely! Really looking forward to visiting the places that have been mentioned. Thanks for all the advice.

Going back a few pages and Tyke, you said you don't get the postcode pricing thing. Its not just postcode, where I live for example, one side of a main road is more than the other.

if an area is cheap there is a reason(s) for it

The further south you go the cheaper and more undesirable the area to live. Just like the North.

East is most expensive and for a reason. I would love to live Eastern Suburbs, but it's too expensive.

Edited by NickyT

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

The further south you go the cheaper and more undesirable the area to live. Just like the North.

:notworthy:

I have to give you credit - that's the biggest laugh I've had all day! :biglaugh:

But then I'm just a completely undesirable Southerner so what would I know eh?!?

I have to give you credit - that's the biggest laugh I've had all day! :biglaugh:

But then I'm just a completely undesirable Southerner so what would I know eh?!?

Haha, where in Scotland are you from - I'm a Scot currently living in Wales. Can't wait until I get out to Adelaide next year to check it out!

Are you saying what I put isn't the case? Isn't it cheaper the further South/North?

If things have changed in the past few months I take back my comment.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Are you saying what I put isn't the case? Isn't it cheaper the further South/North?

If things have changed in the past few months I take back my comment.

It may generally (although not always) be cheaper the further South/North you go, I'm not arguing with you there. It was your sweeping statement about the undesirability I was referring to in my previous comment.

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Haha, where in Scotland are you from - I'm a Scot currently living in Wales. Can't wait until I get out to Adelaide next year to check it out!

I've lived all over Gus, grew up outside Glasgow but spent most of my adult life up north around Aberdeen. You will love it here. Fingers crossed you get some good news with the house soon.

Guest Guest75
It may generally (although not always) be cheaper the further South/North you go, I'm not arguing with you there. It was your sweeping statement about the undesirability I was referring to in my previous comment.

Anyway..................... I diverge,

Stop using my portrait as your avatar!!!!

It is becoming embarrassing!!!!

Nearly as bad as feeling as if I have to "live" <sic> in certain areas of the city:wacko:

One good thing about "certain suburbs - but not down South"......................... The availability of recreational "Herbs".

Found this out completely by accident by someone <ahem> "officially in the "know"

Hilarious!!:biglaugh:

Amazing comments from a person that has only lived here a few months - errm ?? July arrival???

Edited by Guest75
Cuz I can???

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
Anyway..................... I diverge,

Stop using my portrait as your avatar!!!!

It is becoming embarrassing!!!!

Nearly as bad as feeling as if I have to "live" <sic> in certain areas of the city:wacko:

One good thing about "certain suburbs - but not down South"......................... The availability of recreational "Herbs".

Found this out completely by accident by someone <ahem> "officially in the "know"

Hilarious!!:biglaugh:

Amazing comments from a person that has only lived here a few months - errm ?? July arrival???

Mr Bon Jovi with a Yorkshire accent... :err:

Doesn't have quite the same appeal I'm afraid :swoon:

:tongue:

I've lived all over Gus, grew up outside Glasgow but spent most of my adult life up north around Aberdeen. You will love it here. Fingers crossed you get some good news with the house soon.

Thanks - it would be great if we could just go for it in March! I guess we just need to keep positive and see what happens with the house - we can't really have too much impact other than make sure it's clean and tidy for viewings!