Guest happy-jools

Shipping

Guest happy-jools

Im after people's opinions on Shipping.

Weve had three or four quotes now, and our favourite was Allied Pickfords, but with the recent information in the News etc, were are hesitant in going with them.

Weve had Bishops Move, PSS and Whites all with similar price quotations.

Our 2nd favourtie is Whites. Has anybody used them, and what is their opinion.

Any info greatly appreciated. 16 weeks to go. OMG so exited. yeah!!!:notworthy:

Guest lippy

Hi

We had quotes from Allied Pickfords, White & Co and Anglo Pacific - all quoting about the same

We were stuck between Pickfords and White & co - Whites won - they were the cheapest!!

We went with Whites as well but they were our second choice. As for the packers, think Dumb and Dumber and multiply it by about 20, THAT'S how stupid these boys were. They even packed a couple of stamped addressed envelopes containing Thank You cards from our wedding!!!:arghh:

Hi Julia

We used Doree Bonner (as you know) but its true what Liz says, they bring lots of boxes, paper & its all packed neatly into them, very simple process.............but they all charge us a small fortune !!

Good luck

Angela x

Guest happy-jools

Thanks for that.

The Monaghans - despite the fact that dumb and dumber turned up, what was your overall experience. Did everything arrive all intact etc.

Cheers. Julia:skeptical:

Guest trish

Hi

We used White & Co, got a fantastic quote, but they under estimated how much we had! was not told we could not put booze in so we have a $110 bill for 3 bottles of spirits, in one of our boxes!

We had 2 fantastic guys who made the stressful experience so much easier, our container is due in on the 28th to home, but somehow we are not holding our breath!

Good luck

Trish Kev & Amy

arrived 24/01/08

y

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

We used White & Co could not fault them, 6 weeks door to door as quoted,

Good luck,

Guzzler

Guest stephb

hiya,

was interested to read that they charged you for booze- you'll have to pretend you're drinking super posh booze when you open them so it feels worth it:biglaugh:

was just wondering what other things might run into issues whilst going through aussie customs. i have a couple of wooden things i was wondering about taking, a guitar, and some carved stuff, some of which is varnished, some not. i gather theres a thing that wood needs to be treated- does anyone know more about this?

also are there any other things that could cause problems?! :err:

We have been told that all wood needs to be treated or waxed or vanished. Also dont take anything like wicker baskets.

Main thing is that everything needs to be cleaned with something like Jeyes Fluid, except clothes and that! Shoes a must to be cleaned

Guest sprayer

Hello everyone

This might sound stupid but what things are you shipping over?

We dont think it will be worth the cost to ship our TV, fridge freezer, beds sofa, childrens bikes etc. They are all about 3 years old and I assume it would be just the same cost to get new.

The only things I want to take are photos, important documents, special teddies and I think that is all.

Am I being mad to get rid of everything else?

:unsure:

Guest wayneandlindsey

Hi,

We used Pickfords - they were pretty cheap, it was packed/unpacked very efficiently - but it took 4 months to get here!!

Guest Libby1971

Hi

We used Whites - really good. Our quote with them was the same as one from Bishops Move in price but Whites included 10 weeks storage at either end. Everything arrived perfectly - I can't say they were the sharpest tools in the box if you get my meaning but they were decent and worked bloody hard. Absolutely non stop except when tea and a choccie biscuit was thrust into their hand.

We gave them all our booze as a thank you.

At this end Wridgways were the deliverer and they were great, so helpful when it came to getting our stuff through customs. We used them again when we moved.

We decided years ago that we would be coming and stopped replacing our furniture a few years ago. We brought only 1 sideboard and the rest was personal effects and clothes. It made perfect sense for us - new life, new start, new furniture etc. However it made it hard to settle as well as although it was exciting there was sooooo much new stuff that it didn't look like our house, if that makes sense. Other people I know brought stuff over and it helped the kids settle seeing familar stuff around them.

Saying that I would probably still do it all over again in exactly the same way!

Libby