HELP HELP HELP Aldinga Beach Primary??????????

OMGoodness what a year it has been and we seem to of had our share of 'BAD LUCK'. Long story but wont bother anybody with it but I do hope that somebody can please, please comfort me.

We have been liveing in Mitcham but have decided to move to Aldinga Beach and also need to put our daughter into a primary school. We have heard more bad things about Aldiinga Primary School than good, can somebody please give me thier honest thoughs on the school????

We were told that we can put our kids into Willunga Primary but the school is now zoned, as are Mclaren Vale and Mclaren Flat, none of which include pupils from Aldinga Beach.

We have looked at getting rentals in Mclaren and Willunga but there is not there, (everyone has different needs).

We were offered a rental in Aldinga Beach during the school holidays but due to the holidays I have not been able to speak to the schools, hence why I am in a mad rush to do it all today and tomorrow as the agent would like to have a deposit by 5pm on the 9th Oct.

We really dont want to move our daughter once she starts Reception as the kids have been through so much already and our daughter tends to make friendships very quickly and bonds really with them and I feel as though she shouldn't have to keep moveing, she still gets upset when Scotland is mentioned as she misses her friends so so much, family also. She is in kindie at the mo and she has become very close with one little girl and it is going to break her heart when we tell her she will not be attending the same reception class as this little girl in January.

Teri:nah:

Guest vikkiann

My girls go to Aldinga.

The standard of teaching is not the same as what we had in the uk and I think that is everywhere not just Aldinga!

I have 3 girls, a 5 year old in reception, a 6 year old in year 1 and a 10 year old in year 4.

My 5 year old is doing fab but she had done almost a year in reception in the uk, I'm not happy that she has to redo reception next year because she started in term 3 but that's how it goes here.

My 6 year old always needed extra help in the uk, here they picked up on that straight away, she has been given that help she needs and is now up with the rest of the class. Her reading level is now 11 and she is doing fantastic. I am amazed at how much she has come on. She is naughtier now but I think that's more her playing up to her move than the kids she plays with.

My 10 year old was getting bored and I mentioned to her teacher that she needed harder work but they couldn't give her any so I said I'd just send her in 3 days a week then! Quite rude I know but the very next day she was being set work for year 5 students so my rudeness paid off.

Overall, my girls are doing fab. They have made lots of friends and are happy.

Lin the principal does tours on a Wednesday I think. Judy Beale is in charge of the primary years and is great. When I was concerned about my 5 year old doing reception again I met with Judy and she reassured me that because Katie is already at the top, she'll be given the support to push her further.

The reputation of the school is not good but the standard of teaching is. There are some kids who swear and misbehave but all schools have that.

If you need any more info just shout.

Vikki

xx

Guest Tina P

Hi, There is a couple of rentals in Mclaren Flat, my girls go to Mclaren Flat primary and its an excellent small school of 200 pupils.

2 of the rentals are walking distance to the school.

Good luck

Tina

Guest vikkiann

What would you like to know?

In my opinion and just my opinion .... The teaching is very relaxed here, not at all like the standard of education my children received in the past and I'm not just talking about Aldinga.

Where do your children go to school?

@ Vikki -- thank-you for your honesty on the matter. I do understand that each school has their ups and downs. I would like to be sure that there is no bulling also as I feel if a child is being bullied that often has an impact on their learning and other aspects. You say there are children that swear and misbehave and I 'get' the fact that this happens but I want to know 'how do the teachers deal with this?'

@ AJ Ford -- Yes people have mentioned Mypnga as a go so will check it out thanks.

@ Tina -- Yes we have looked and looked at Mclaren Vale and Flat. The newer house that is available in Mclaren Flat is perfect but only has split-system air/con and with out situation it will not do and the older house we have also veiwed and it doesn't not have a garden. We have also seen the lovely big 4 bed in Mclaren Vale and that home is much like the one we own in Scotland but we can pay $400 per week on rent, it is outrages price for just renting, we would be better off takeing a morgage but at the moment that is not what we want to do,. But thank-you for offering you help.

Has anybody got any veiws on 'Galilee Catholic School'????

Again thanks guys for your help.xx

Guest vikkiann

As far as I am aware, any child that is caught swearing is sent straight to focus. I haven't heard of any bullying so can't help you with that. I'm sure it must go on though because it happens in most schools.

What would you like to know?

In my opinion and just my opinion .... The teaching is very relaxed here, not at all like the standard of education my children received in the past and I'm not just talking about Aldinga.

Where do your children go to school?

My kids go to Stradbroke primary in Rostrevor and while I would agree the teachers here are more relaxed (or less uptight) than those in the UK I don't agree that the standard of teaching is not as good as the UK. And my kids went to a school that was rated as outstanding by ofstead. I think the standard of teaching will vary from teacher to teacher and school to school, just as it did in the UK.

I certainly haven't found teaching standards here any worse than the UK - admittedly my kids had an English teacher for Years 6 and 7 who was absolutely brilliant, but he moved here himself when he was very young so had been through the aussie system and aussie teacher training. As anywhere, it's down to individuals I think. It's not all that unusual for kids to move schools for one reason or another, so if you are unhappy with teaching standards and school responses with the school your child is at, move them elsewhere. I certainly would, but I guess we are lucky in that we have several excellent schools within easy reach so moving would be fairly straightforward....

@ Vikki -- thank-you for your honesty on the matter. I do understand that each school has their ups and downs. I would like to be sure that there is no bulling also as I feel if a child is being bullied that often has an impact on their learning and other aspects. You say there are children that swear and misbehave and I 'get' the fact that this happens but I want to know 'how do the teachers deal with this?'

@ AJ Ford -- Yes people have mentioned Mypnga as a go so will check it out thanks.

@ Tina -- Yes we have looked and looked at Mclaren Vale and Flat. The newer house that is available in Mclaren Flat is perfect but only has split-system air/con and with out situation it will not do and the older house we have also veiwed and it doesn't not have a garden. We have also seen the lovely big 4 bed in Mclaren Vale and that home is much like the one we own in Scotland but we can pay $400 per week on rent, it is outrages price for just renting, we would be better off takeing a morgage but at the moment that is not what we want to do,. But thank-you for offering you help.

Has anybody got any veiws on 'Galilee Catholic School'????

I can't really comment on the school situation that you have as I don't have children and I do live nearer the city so appreciate that prices are higher but $400 a week doesnt seem too bad for the size of house and if its in the exact area you want and the house is fab it might be better to spend a bit more to know that your kids are going to be ok. As a newbie I have found sometimes its better to just bite the bullet and have exactly what you want as we all have enough to deal with what with new jobs, new country, meeting new people etc that to settle for something you are not 100% sure on just gives you an extra thing to worry about

having said that you know whats best for you so good luck and I do have friends with kids in school in Aldinga and they have not complained to me about anything

Have you thought about a private school?? obviously I dont know your financial situation however if it were an option for you I would recommend Southern Vales Christian College at Aldinga. My daughters have been to a public school here and I was dissappointed with the teaching and discipline so when we moved to Aldinga we went to a private school.

I know several families who have moved their children from Aldinga Primary to SVCC because they were unhappy with it there.

I'd just like to say that Judy Beale is an excellent teacher and I can't praise her enough. She was deputy principal at Woodcroft Primary School until the start of this school year and I was heartbroken when she left, as were pretty much the whole school. If she's at Aldinga Primary now you can bet your life she'll address any problems you have.

The only reports I have heard re Galille are excellent. We would have put our son there only at the time the OSHC didn't meet our needs. The school has grown and is continuing to far more than any of the others in the area. Southern Vales is also a good school and gets good reports. Aldinga primary has had not so good reports but I never looked into it to comment.

@ the fishers----Yea we have consided so many options now that we have decided to put her into Aldinga Primary for her reception year, as she starts that in January and if she is doing well or not happy then we will change schools. I dont like the thought of changeing schools all the time but she is only 5 and will bouce, she is very outgoing and independant but I dont want to push her too far also.xx