sharons dream

How do you break a rental lease??

Hi we have found a house we really like for rent but we already have a rental. How do we go about breaking a lease. Can we apply for another house while we still have our first one? Help any advice would be great x

Guest Guest6899
    Hi we have found a house we really like for rent but we already have a rental. How do we go about breaking a lease. Can we apply for another house while we still have our first one? Help any advice would be great x

Hiya Sharon, we have broken our lease to move into our new house although only a few weeks early so incurred minimal costs. i spoke with our property management and i was advised to put it in writing which i did. you maybe liable for some costs so i would speak with your agent. we were advised that we were liable for the rent until it was re let, and if they have to advertise i was liable for a proportion of this cost too, depending on how long was left on the lease. i don't know if all agents are the same but i would check it out, as it may end up costing you a fair bit if you end up having to pay for two properties.

Cant you wait until your lease ends? you have a while before you need to sort schools?

Guest pixie7

HI we broke lease- just emailed agent to let them know and got on with the application for new house. I have the formula sheet somewhere to work out the costs if you would like it? Its a set formula state wide. A percentage of the remaining lease but it only applys if you are over the 6 month point in your lease. So you will be liable for rental costs until someone rents it, you will pay a fee for breaking lease and a fee for any re advertisement- all dependent on the number of months/weeks you have left.

Guest Mitchell

Ask your letting agent. I told mine in person and later on she announced that didn't count as it wasn't in writing.

hi when we broke ours, 4 months into a 12 month lease, we emailed agent saying we wanna break lease but we are happy to stay in rental until a new tenant found, that way covering ourselves against double rent, a new tenant was found within 4 days, we had to pay 2 weeks rent for breaking lease plus advertising costs, but all in all very simple and painless, we were moved out into new home within 2 weeks of tellin agent we were moving out!! good luck x