Guest jakeandshelley

Selling a car

Guest jakeandshelley

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, wasn't sure where to put it!!

Has anyone sold a car in Oz. We are hoping to bring opur car over to sell it but have heard that you cant sell and imported car for 2 years? Also that an imported car with books that are not Australian are worthless? Can anyone help, trying to decide whether to bring it or not as shipping is expensive!.

Thanks

Shelley Scott.

Not sure how long you have to keep it but a lot of people will not touch it as its an import and is worth a lot less as its an import.

There is a thread in the Poms in Oz website for taking your car over! I would strongly advise looking on there. It is in the transport section as a sticky.

Guest USA soon just SA

I seem to remember from the government forms i read that the ability to sell it has something to do with whether or not you paid the GST and tarriff or not. I think the idea was that you could bring a car for your ouwn personal use, with the intent to take it away again and not pay those charges, but if you want it freee and clear with no restrictions (like if/not you can sell it) then you need to pay it. I don't remember anything about the 2 year thing, but then again we were looking to bring it because we were looking to keep it until it died, and not to sell, so my earch may have been leaning in that direction. But I have heard MANY times on this site that an inporeted car becomes an "orphan" and has virtually no value, so even though I am not there yet, i would certainly believe that part. Good Luck!

Guest Crushfamily

If you are bringing it to use it then a good idea as used cars are expensive - if you are bringing it to try and make a buck then forget it!