Areas to live - Employer slating most areas we look at! Help...

Growler

Hi we really need to ask advice, we have done a reccie but didnt get to see the areas we are looking at now. Our employer says its "feral" and really rough at Port noarlunga, Christies Beach, Reynella, parts of woodcroft and parts of Happy Valley. He said of Port Noarlunga that you get rubbish thrown at your car etc.... But people on here who we have spoken to have said the complete opposite...ahhhhh. Really unsure as he is ruling out most areas! Help!!!

Where is your employer based? Providing you can commute from where you live to your employment comfortably then ignore your employer and choose somewhere to live where you can afford a house you like and you feel comfortable and happy. I don't know the areas you mention that well but when I have driven through some of them they seem nice enough. If you haven't seen the areas for yourself yet then arrange some short term accomodation in one of the areas for when you get here and try it out.

Where will your job be based? Some Adelaidians believe anywhere that isn't Burnside or North Adelaide is rough, but if you've done a reccie, then you know what suits you. Remember, one man's meat is another man's poison, and unless it makes a difference to whether he employs you or not, then really your employer's views on where you live don't have to matter, do they?

Hi Diane and NicF, Thanks yes we are going to be working in Hallett Cove. We have 4 cats so can only really live in the areas that are defined by the Council of Onkaparinga as i beleive most of the other councils put a limit on 2 cats so it leaves us with a few areas to live...He has said basically anything other than Hallet Cove and certain parts of woodcroft and happy valley is rough! Which leaves us with a really bad taste in our mouths as we need to live in one of these areas.....

Definitely ignore him. Get a short term let down that way - lots of people on this site have places round those areas - and check them out for yourself. If you are going to be working in Hallet Cove then these are ideal locations for commuting. Happy Valley used to be a place to be avoided because all the brits went to live there, but they all go to Port Noarlunga these days :err:. Seriously though I doubt so many brits on here would keep living in those areas if they were that bad. I'm sure some will be on with there own comments at some point to reasure you.

Hi Diane and NicF, Thanks yes we are going to be working in Hallett Cove. We have 4 cats so can only really live in the areas that are defined by the Council of Onkaparinga as i beleive most of the other councils put a limit on 2 cats so it leaves us with a few areas to live...He has said basically anything other than Hallet Cove and certain parts of woodcroft and happy valley is rough! Which leaves us with a really bad taste in our mouths as we need to live in one of these areas.....

Hes talking like a true adeladian, from the past. There are good bits and not so nice bits in most suburbs, and some REALLY nice bits!!!. It wont be a problem.

Guest Guest6899

what a pompous prat!!! we have lived in reynella and port noarlunga for nearly a year and never had any issues. I'm not saying its perfect... where is!! we've just bought a house in christies beach and love it down here. make your own decisions and tell the pompous prat he is a dick!!!

Guest moonraker1959

My son lives in Happy Valley (just brought a house there as an investment)and has not encountered anything untoward going on in that suburb.My auntie and uncle live in Morphett Vale,and have done for about 40 years,and never had any problems either.

What a load of claptrap!

I have lived in Port Noarlunga and Christies beach for over 5 years...also spent 6 months in Old Reynella too. My daughter lives in Port Noarlunga too.

We have friends in Morphett Vale and my sons have friends in Hackam. I often collect them late at night and feel totally safe.

If I could afford to buy another house it would be in Port Noarlunga, Christies Beach, Seaford or Hallett Cove.

With the large number of new migrants who decide to live around here you would certainly have heard about any horror stories of "garbage throwing bogans"!!!

:biglaugh:

Tamara

Just thought i would mention we moved to Oz just over a year ago and found a rental in Happy Valley. My 10 & 11yr olds looked around the school and hated it so much that they begged the head to let them start that day! After renting here for 6 months and hating it as much as the kids we decided to buy our home in Happy Valley too. I've not been lucky enough to have any rubbish thrown at me or the car but there are lots of people out and about that say hello or stop for a chat! My older daughter goes to Reynella high to.

I'm sure whatever area you have come from there's a part of town you wouldn't want to live for whatever reason and you will find areas accross Adelaide the same. After all we are all individual so come and take a look and see what you think. The guy sounds like a complete idiot who probably seriously pi**** someone off hence the throwing of rubbish at him.

Hehe Happy Valley was not known as Nappy Valley for nothing as it was a place that families bought into in their droves. I can understand your bosses thoughts on Christies Beach ( Bad reps take a long time to die in Adelaide and are handed on through generations haha) but I have never heard anything bad about the other suburbs. I say take a look for yourself, buy or rent somewhere you can afford and then you will enjoy your new life , not work to live in some "good" suburb. There is so much to choose from down South and therefore more Bang for your Bucks. Plus if you rent first and do find yourselves in strife with rubbish throwers :) you can then move. It's the beauty of moving somewhere new, you are not held down by all those urban myths like the locals about what is good and what is not.

We lived in Christies Beach until 5 weeks ago. If we could have found a house there with the land that we wanted, we would have bought there. Lived there 2.5 years and never a problem. We got told it was ok but could be a bit rough. Must say UK was lot rougher. Have a look for yourself and see waht you think. All I will say though is that everywhere has somewhere rough

Niki

There's good and bad in ALL areas and that includes those he mentioned. I've lived in Woodcroft for over 19 years, and a couple of years in Morphett Vale. We've had our car egged 5 times this year and had the odd bottle chucked on the house roof, but I'm not moving any time soon. I've seen vandalism, parties that have got out of hand, and there is crime here ......... BUT it's the same everywhere. I do remember about 10 years or so ago there was a LOT of trouble in Happy Valley with gangs of youths causing mayhem, but it seems relatively quieter now. There are definitely areas down south I would avoid like the plague .............. Noarlunga Downs, Christies Downs and some parts of Hackham ................ but it comes down to whatever floats your boat in the end.

Guest NewInOz

I can only guess that your employer had a house he could rent to you but not in those areas. I can only think of two or three suburbs south of Adelaide that could be deemed rough by UK standards and none of them have been mentioned in this excchange of messages. I personally really like Port Noarlunga and I think Christies Beach is a great place for investing in property.

We've had our car egged 5 times this year and had the odd bottle chucked on the house roof, but I'm not moving any time soon. I've seen vandalism, parties that have got out of hand, and there is crime here ......... BUT it's the same everywhere.

In the 5 years ive been here i have never had bottles thrown at my house or my car egged once, let alone 5 times this year! I certainly wouldnt wanna live anywhere thats a regular activity!!