Visa enquiry for my Mum

niknjas

Hi

Hoping someone can help as am totally confused.

My Mum is 74 and lives in Cyprus (She is English). My Dad has just died and would like if possible for her to come over here for good.

I am her only living direct relative.

Looked on Oz governmnet website to first of all get her a visitors visa as she is going to spend Christmas with us. Totally changed from when Jason had a visitors visa before we validate our permanent visa.

How would she stand on her age?

Which visa is the best one to go for?

Would she need to go through part of the process that we did to obtain.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Niki

Guest Mitchell

Hi

There is a thread on here about parent visas. It's long but a good read. It's very tricky and slow to get parents over. Read the thread though as it will give you an idea.

Hi

Hoping someone can help as am totally confused.

My Mum is 74 and lives in Cyprus (She is English). My Dad has just died and would like if possible for her to come over here for good.

I am her only living direct relative.

Looked on Oz governmnet website to first of all get her a visitors visa as she is going to spend Christmas with us. Totally changed from when Jason had a visitors visa before we validate our permanent visa.

How would she stand on her age?

Which visa is the best one to go for?

Would she need to go through part of the process that we did to obtain.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Niki

There is a visa for last remaining relative Subclass (offshore) 115 this might be worth looking into.Only available for those already on a Pr visa or Citizens.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/115/how-the-visa-works.htm

Thanks for the feedback.

What is the difference between a 114 and a 115? What happens about waiting, is this when a bridging visa applies?

Just want to sort this for my mum asap as she has no-one else apart from me and it looks like to me her true friends are showing their true colours.

Thanks

Niki

There is a visa for last remaining relative Subclass (offshore) 115 this might be worth looking into.Only available for those already on a Pr visa or Citizens.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/115/how-the-visa-works.htm

Hi SWMBO

Parents are specifically excluded from eligibility for the Remaining Relative visa. The only way round this is where all the Parent's children are in Oz but all of the Parent's siblings are also in Oz. In that situation, a sibling in Oz can sponsor the offshore sibling and the offshore one's children are no loner relevant.

So the Aussie Government has been onto this one for ages, unfortunately. Also, Australia makes a substantial amount of money out of the Contributory Parent Visa scheme, so it is no surprise that the CPV and Contributory Aged Parent Visa (CAPV) are the only ones that will secure PR for a Parent swiftly (albeit hideously expensively.)

My mother has a Contributory Parent Visa that was granted in 2006. Before we made the application in 2005, Mum was dithering and making excuses. She thought it was very expensive at her age (she was then 83.) Mum was in the UK with me at the time and she tried to say that she wanted to go out to Australia, to chew the cud about the idea with my sister in Oz. I barked, "NO, Mother! I've talked to Elaine on the phone and she agrees that we should make an immediate application for a CPV. So that is what we will DO, gedditt?" I felt bad about bullying the old dear but with hindsight, thank god I did because the fees have been rocketing ever since.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Niki

I know what is is like when one has to try to sort out a viable solution for a widowed parent. I've been through it myself, etc.

I am very sorry to hear about your father, hon. I know that I can't say anything that will make it better but I found, when my own father died, that it helps to know that other people do care, even if they can't actually do anything.

Your Mum. Please could you answer the following questions for me?

1. Is Mum British? If not, what nationality is she, please?

2. Has she ever been to Australia before? If not, do you think she would be able to settle well in Oz because you are there, irrespective of whether or not she really likes Australia once she goes there?

3. Are you thinking about moving Mum to Australia permanently? If yes, do you and she both want that to happen as soon as possible? Would she have to sell up in Cyprus first? If yes, how long would that be likely to take, do you think?

4. Could she afford a Contributory Parent or Contributory Aged Parent visa? Please study the stuff on the links below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/family-visas-parent.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

5. I've just been reading that the Aussie Govt intends to introduce a new type of extended Tourist visa for Parents. Apparently every application will be considered on a case-by-case basis and blah blah but the intention is to introduce the idea of these new, extended visas by December 2012. As yet, I've only just seen very sketchy details in a newsletter that I get by e-mail from a firm of Registered Migration Agents in Oz.

However, the gist seems to be that the Parent who wants to visit Oz repeatedly will be able to get a Long Stay Tourist visa that will allow repeated, lengthy visits over a period of up to 5 years. As yet, I don't know whether they'll do this simply by tweaking the legislative details about the subclass 676 Tourist Visa or whether they plan to introduce a Parents-only Version of sc 676. However, please see the link below for the sc 676 Tourist Visa because the new arrangements will not differ substantially from the sc 676 apart from the ability to make repeated visits to Oz without having to get a new sc 676 visa each time:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

Why get Mum out to Oz for a short visit when she can make a long visit instead?

I'll try to help in any way that I can but I need more background infomation first, please, as I have tried to explain.

Finally, is Mum in reasonably good health at the moment?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Niki

I know what is is like when one has to try to sort out a viable solution for a widowed parent. I've been through it myself, etc.

I am very sorry to hear about your father, hon. I know that I can't say anything that will make it better but I found, when my own father died, that it helps to know that other people do care, even if they can't actually do anything.

Your Mum. Please could you answer the following questions for me?

1. Is Mum British? If not, what nationality is she, please?

2. Has she ever been to Australia before? If not, do you think she would be able to settle well in Oz because you are there, irrespective of whether or not she really likes Australia once she goes there?

3. Are you thinking about moving Mum to Australia permanently? If yes, do you and she both want that to happen as soon as possible? Would she have to sell up in Cyprus first? If yes, how long would that be likely to take, do you think?

4. Could she afford a Contributory Parent or Contributory Aged Parent visa? Please study the stuff on the links below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/family-visas-parent.htm

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

5. I've just been reading that the Aussie Govt intends to introduce a new type of extended Tourist visa for Parents. Apparently every application will be considered on a case-by-case basis and blah blah but the intention is to introduce the idea of these new, extended visas by December 2012. As yet, I've only just seen very sketchy details in a newsletter that I get by e-mail from a firm of Registered Migration Agents in Oz.

However, the gist seems to be that the Parent who wants to visit Oz repeatedly will be able to get a Long Stay Tourist visa that will allow repeated, lengthy visits over a period of up to 5 years. As yet, I don't know whether they'll do this simply by tweaking the legislative details about the subclass 676 Tourist Visa or whether they plan to introduce a Parents-only Version of sc 676. However, please see the link below for the sc 676 Tourist Visa because the new arrangements will not differ substantially from the sc 676 apart from the ability to make repeated visits to Oz without having to get a new sc 676 visa each time:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/676/

Why get Mum out to Oz for a short visit when she can make a long visit instead?

I'll try to help in any way that I can but I need more background infomation first, please, as I have tried to explain.

Finally, is Mum in reasonably good health at the moment?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

Thanks for getting back to me and your support.

Just feel like it is all coming in on me at mo unfortunately. Never done things by halfs - just moved into a wreck, kids started new school and run a business and firstly try to sort Mum out.

She is in good health just a bit of blood pressure.

She is British and arrives for a 3 month holiday on the 24th of November with her tourist visa (same day as my MIL).

Probate has to be sorted first before she could move over permanently.

She never entertained leaving Cyprus, that was their forever home and tbh Dad was really ill and they never thought of something like that happening. We have said do three months to see what she thinks of Oz and just to make sure it is not a knee jerk reaction. Not that I am trying to put her off because I'm not, I just want her to be sure. Thing is friends aren't being very supportive and this is when she needs it.

She has talked about selling the house, but I don't know how long that will take. Apparently though the area, she is in, people are always asking for houses. We were told probate if straight forward would take a couple of months. She has planned once her holiday is over to start clearing the house and also clear some of Dad's stuff.

I've just read the links quickly, - SO many visas. I shouldn't think it would be a problem with the fees and I have no problem sponsoring her. She only has me and my family apart from my Dad's brother and his Mum. We have been here nearly 3 years in Jan on a PR visa. Also looks like the the other visa type, extended may be a viable option as well. We even said if she stays for six months at a time, that might be another option. I would like her here for good though as she is wanted and she is 74, and don't want here having to travel backwards and forwards all the time.

Thanks for all your help and any info is much appreciated.

Niki