areas to rent for young couple?!

Guest NatsandSteve

Guest NatsandSteve

Hi everyone.

We are arriving in Adelaide late January 2013 and cannot wait!

I wanted to ask you lovely people about areas to rent for the first few years we are in Adelaide before we decide to start a family and move to the burbs...

We are looking for somewhere that is reasonable lively...a place where there are cafes, shops, bars, restaurants, cinema etc etc for a couple in their late 20s early 30s. I have heard of Glenelg and Grange...anywhere else anybody can think of to start our search?

I know Adelaide is reasonable quiet compared to Melbourne or Sydney but I am sure there must be some places that will fit the bill.

Any suggested are greatly appreciated! :-)

If you want to be near the beach then Glenelg is probably the place to be. If you're not so bothered about the beach then both Norwood and North Adelaide would be great suburbs for a young couple. Do you know where you're likely to be working, as this could have some bearing on where would be best to live.

The best bet is to find yourself short term rental for when you get here and then have a good look round for somewhere that suits you.

Guest nakigirl

If you want to be close to the city I would say Parkside, Unley, Hyde Park and Goodwood are all great suburbs. These areas all have there own shopping strips, cafes etc but you are also really close to the city. We live in Parkside just off Unley Road and love the proximity to everything. Rents can be a bit more expensive but you save in petrol and transport costs. I walk or cycle practically everywhere.

• 1 month later...
Guest garthsmydog

Hiya we have a one bedroom really nice apartment for rent in Jan on the corner of Brougham Place and O Connel St in North Adelaide ( Place on Brougham), its not furnished but we could organise something if you needed furnished. If you google Place on Brougham you ll see it its got a concierge and pool/spa gym sauna etc . We are looking for $400 week unfurnished.bit more if you need furnished as we will rent furniture to whatever your needs are . Would be happy to work the lease around whatever date suited you, If its still available when you get here would be happy to make a time to show you through if youre interested before you arrive or dicuss further via the internet or skype or whatever before you get here.

Unfortunately we arent allowed do a short term lease , I think 6 months is the minimum but I promise its lovely!this is the link from when we bought it last year

the green gold course looking thing is the roof of the car park ( theyve tried to make it look a little better)

http://www.thehomepage.com.au/property/residential/31661-69-brougham-place-north-adelaide/343807

goodluck with whatever you decide

:) Wendy

Guest J&MGlasgow

Hi Nats and Steve - We arrived in Adelaide in April of this year. Started in Westbourne Park in a furnished unit and then moved to Glenelg to an unfurnished unit. I've seen a lot of the places around Adelaide as I travel around quite a bit with work and by far the most up-market spot is Hyde Park - lots of shops, cafes, restaurants and a nice pub, the Hyde Park. Quite expensive though and the people that frequent that area are very well to do! Then closeby is Goodwood which is a cool wee area and minutes by car to the city. In Glenelg you're spoiled for choice with restaurants, cafe's and of course beaches. There's a handful of pubs, some better than others. I think the downside to Glenelg though is that it's full of tourists! It can sometimes feel like a bit of a holiday resort and has a completely different vibe to Goodwood or North Adelaide. Our main reason for moving here is the beach. If I could put Hyde Park next to the beach I'd be loving it! We're enjoying Glenelg so far though - There's a good mixture of shops, some cheap, some high quality and not too pretentious. It's lively at night, plus not too far from the city if you want to go to a club or something. And after all, what's the point in moving to Australia if you're not going to live by the beach? Isn't that why we're all here!!! I'm guessing the novelty of living at the beach will wear off for us in a year or so and we'll probably head back to Goodwood!! We'll see. Like the posts above, I'd also recommend having a look at Norwood, Unley or maybe even living in the CBC itself. Anyways, hope the move goes well, Keep in touch, we're always looking to meet new people, no kids yet so always up for a drink or 5!! Jo & Mick from Glasgow