Guest uma

Admission into Glenunga and Unley High schools

Guest uma

Hi,

I have been informed by Glenunga High school that if we reside in their Zonal area, kid will be readily getting admission in their school.

One doubt I have got while reading other threads regarding schools is - if they give admission to all the kids residing in their catchment zone,

why does the competition factor comes into picture?

Will there be any limit to the number of seats for each year of school? My kid will be eligible for year 8 when he reaches Adelaide in the month of May 2013. So can he get an admission into the school immediately once he reach?

One big fear is if we take our rented house in Glenunga school Zone and my kid do not get an admission, what to do? we cant immediately break the rental bond and cant go to other school zone :(

Please help me while suggesting on this.

Thanks in advance.

Uma

If you are in the zone for the school your kids will get in, and if the school have said it will not be an issue then it will not be an issue. As soon as your son arrives in Adelaide then he will be eligible for a place at the school if you are in the zone for it. There isn't really competition for school places here in Adelaide in the same way as in the UK that I am aware of. Glenunga does have a gifted and talented program that kids from outside the zone can get access to the school through which will have a competative element, but not the general admission.

If you live in the zone then they are obliged to take your child. There is no competition factor. The zones are there just to ensure that children can attend their local High school. If there are spare places then these go to those living outside the zone by whatever criteria the school sets. The only school to which this does not apply except for children entering yr 8 is Adelaide High school because it is too full. They have a special exemption from the rule.

Guest uma
    If you live in the zone then they are obliged to take your child. There is no competition factor. The zones are there just to ensure that children can attend their local High school. If there are spare places then these go to those living outside the zone by whatever criteria the school sets. The only school to which this does not apply except for children entering yr 8 is Adelaide High school because it is too full. They have a special exemption from the rule.

If that is the case, by the time my son reaches Adelaide that would be almost half academic year is complete. Hence won't there be any opportunity for him to get an admission? :(

If that is the case, by the time my son reaches Adelaide that would be almost half academic year is complete. Hence won't there be any opportunity for him to get an admission? :(

No this is not correct. If you are in the zone then they have to take your son.

You may find though that they wish to see a rental agreement of at least a year as proof of residency within their zone: Just getting a short term rental in the area is not enough to prove you actually "live" there.

Hi, I have a son who will start yr 8 at Glenunga in Jan. We are not zoned but he passed the Ignite exam so he has a place. The co-ordinator told us that all kids in the zone will have a place so relax, your kid will have a place definitely.