Guest pitrat

local work V mining

Guest pitrat

Hi all, we are moving over to Adelaide in March/April and wanted to pick some brains or get bit of reaction. I am a deisel fitter with experience in every thing from cars, trucks, busses and trains and have been thinking of what is best to do for the futrue. I have looked at some jobs on SEEK.COM and get the jist that the mines pay about $40-$50 an hour for FIFO and workshop roles back in Adelaide are about $25-$35 an hour for 40 hour week and home every night, with the FIFO jobs I take it you don't recieve pay when you not at work so this would drastically reduce the hourly rate down to not far off what you would get for a job close to home. So does anyone work local or in the mines that could shed some light on this and are there any waysto try and land a job before we get there so my mind could concerntrate on other things rather than worrying about where the next payday is coming from!

Steve

They allways seem to be looking for deisel fitters, depends what you want to do stay here or go to the mines and where you are going to live most of the bigger haulage companys plant hire etc are located north of the city around wingfeild area which is industrial area I have heard of a couple of people on here sending e mails to haulage companys and landing jobs that way before they arrive.

Guest Guest5035
    Hi all, we are moving over to Adelaide in March/April and wanted to pick some brains or get bit of reaction. I am a deisel fitter with experience in every thing from cars, trucks, busses and trains and have been thinking of what is best to do for the futrue. I have looked at some jobs on SEEK.COM and get the jist that the mines pay about $40-$50 an hour for FIFO and workshop roles back in Adelaide are about $25-$35 an hour for 40 hour week and home every night, with the FIFO jobs I take it you don't recieve pay when you not at work so this would drastically reduce the hourly rate down to not far off what you would get for a job close to home. So does anyone work local or in the mines that could shed some light on this and are there any waysto try and land a job before we get there so my mind could concerntrate on other things rather than worrying about where the next payday is coming from!

Steve

normally the mines can be long hours, i have a friend who works at Gladstone in Qld she does 28 on 9 off, before she was in Olympic dam mine 14 on 7 off 12 hour shifts. Don't understand your bit about the pay if you work 40 hours thats what you get paid for, no one gets paid to be at home!! I work 4 on 4 off 24/7 in the metro area, there are jobs in the metro area that the rates can be compareable to mines.

stevo

Edited by Guest5035

You only get paid for the hours you are working at the mine - that's correct, however there is also plenty of overtime, so plenty of opportuity to earn good wages. Having said that, mining life is not for everybody. I have spent some time up at the mines working with my clients and the fist time I went up I thought it was the worst place on earth. I have gotten used to it now, but I'm only there a day or 2 at the most. The conditions are really hard, they work regardless of temperatures and weather. The only time they stop is when the rigs are under water. Often there is no phone or internet access, so contact with home can be difficult. Shifts are usually 12 hours on 12 hours off on a rotation basis. Some new starters only make a couple of weeks at most before realising it really isn't a way of earning a quick buck.

If you are looking at it as a quick way to make a buck, I would say, not the right environment for you. If you are looking at a long term career, then it might be the right choice. but you really have to take into consideration all the pros and cons before making a decision.

Guest pitrat

Hi Lynsteve, What i meant was if you take out the 7 days you home and balance the hours over a 4 week period you would bring the rate of pay down, so the sacrifice of working 12 hour days and being home 1 week a month has to be looked at against the 40 hour week over a month as you home every night! I see how the money can be made but as always in life nothing comes for free, so just depends on what you value more, being at home with loved ones or working your plumbs off in the heat to make a quick buck! (been there and worked away) I would love to give the mines a bash as I have always wanted to work on the real big stuff since I left school in the late 80's, the ambition has never left me, I just hope I can get the chance to try it as I hear it can be impossible to get there without inside people there! or is this just hype again?

I don't know for certain, but of the increased hourly rate up at the mines, do you need to pay for accomodation - once that's taken into consideration how much more do you actually earn?

Guest Guest5035

where my friend works everything is included, all you have to pay for is the taxi from home to adelaide airport and back.

stevo