Guest DWB

Hi Everyone

Guest DWB

I've spent the last couple of years investigating Perth, but have a few things ongoing for Adelaide at the moment including an interview in 8 hours time.

The interview is for a place in west Adelaide (and im slightly confident), I've been looking at Happy Valley but it seems like travel through town takes a fair while considering the distance is not particularly far. So I'm thinking its time to start looking at communities in the west. Does anyone have any recommendations looking at upto the $500 a week mark for 3 bedrooms. I don't intend on bringing anything with me I'll start again when i get there.

It's a 457 visa I'm looking at getting but I fully have no intention of ever returning to Scotland. I have a partner and one child 3 years old. So would be looking at permanent residency before the end of it.

Guest Jo&Phil

When you say 'west' where do you mean?

Happy Valley to western suburbs is relatively straight forward along 2 main roads (can get a bit busy in the morning / evening traffic). www.realestate.com.au is an excellent site to guage price ranges for rentals. Western suburbs can be a bit cheaper to buy into but rental market can be a bit different as some areas have limited availability.

Sorry, that might not help you much but ..........Good luck with the interview.

I agree with what do you mean by west? Some parte of the western suburbs would be easily accessed from Happy Valley, others less so.

Guest Lorraine Doyle

I'm living up the road from Happy Valley and used to travel into the city everyday. I love this area, at weekends you feel like your on holiday!! But I also love nature and the trees so I'm biased :)

Guest DWB

The place I'm looking at working is in an area called waterloo corner. It's not far from Happy Valley but most reports I've read have stated its 50 minutes to the CBD from Happy Valley, this is a little further and i don't want to spend forever commuting.

The place I'm looking at working is in an area called waterloo corner. It's not far from Happy Valley but most reports I've read have stated its 50 minutes to the CBD from Happy Valley, this is a little further and i don't want to spend forever commuting.

Waterloo corner isn't west it's north. Or at least according to google maps it is anyway. In fact it's north of Salisbury North, which is quite far north. It definitely isn't commutable from Happy Valley. Areas around that way to consider would be any of the north east suburbs - Highbury, Banksia Park, Fairview Park etc, or places like Golden Grove or Mawson Lakes.

Guest DWB

Why does commuting take so long? It doesn't seem like such a big distance from Happy Valley yet most people say your looking at over an hour.

Thanks for the other areas to look at. On it now!

Why does commuting take so long? It doesn't seem like such a big distance from Happy Valley yet most people say your looking at over an hour.

In terms of miles no it's not that long. However if you use google maps to do directions then look at the route it gives you, most of the roads between happy valley and waterloo corner are 60kmh speed limits with traffic lights every 5 meters (slight exageration but pretty often anyway). Throw in the fact that you would be travelling during rush hour towards the city for part of the route with extra cars all going the same way and you have a pretty slow trip.

Just another quick point. For $500 a week rent you could get something pretty decent in most suburbs around Adelaide. We pay $420 for a three bedroom, two bathroom, good condition newish house just 9km from the city.

Guest DWB
    Just another quick point. For $500 a week rent you could get something pretty decent in most suburbs around Adelaide. We pay $420 for a three bedroom, two bathroom, good condition newish house just 9km from the city.

Yes I've noticed Adelaide does seem to be much cheaper than the areas I was looking in Perth. Needs to be dog friendly though that narrows options.

I may cycle it the only thing that keeps me off my bike here is the weather.

Interview in 15 minutes :D

Guest Guest5035

I may cycle it the only thing that keeps me off my bike here is the weather.

:D

not so much the weather but on main roads the fear of losing your life to a b double truck or a car, for $500 a week you can live in the western suburbs right ON the beach.

stevo

Guest DWB

Well I got the job (well a different one) So now the plannig starts in earnest :D

Can't wait to get there!

My husband used to cycle to a place called Edinburgh Park which is not that far from Waterloo Corner from here in Highbury, so if you are a fairly serioius cyclist that's do-able. Have a look at the Northeastern suburbs if you are not too bothered about being right next to a beach, or somewhere like Semaphore in the northwest would be a straightforward drive along the Port River Expressway (but probably you wouldn't want to cycle along that). Mawson Lakes and thereabouts is an option as are some parts of Salisbury such as Salisbury Heights which is a very nice area but often suffers from the fact that it shares the "Salisbury" bit of its name with some less nice parts. A friend of my son's lives in a gorgeous part of Salisbury Heights, it feels very countryfied there and there are lots of places to dog walk nearby.