Guest Charl.M

electrical work info needed

Guest Charl.M

Hi, my name is steve and this is my first thread. We are moving to adelaide, hopefully aug 2013, we are going there on my wife's visa. she is a nurse. I am an electrician and have been qualified now for 18 months and i'm just after some info regarding work. i don't have enough experience to get my skilled assessed so think i'll have to work as a trades assistant for 12 months to get my liscence. big question is, where do i start.

cheers

steve

Guest Lorraine Doyle

Hi Steve,

My son is in his 2nd year apprenticeship here. He is doing it through PEER VET. They may be able to advise you if you don't get any answers here. http://www.peer.com.au Adelaide office number is 08 8348 1200. The other way to get your licence once your qualified is through the Business Licensing Dept., Grenfel St, Adelaide. This has to be done once you arrive and not before.

Hope all of this helps.

Guest Katangel

My husband says if you have your nvq3 and jib gold card, the years of experience shouldn't matter. However if you have the domestic installer certificate you will need to do a full apprenticeship.

Guest Charl.M

Thanks for the replies. Lorraine thanks for that info. Katangel unfortunately I don't have nvq 3. The thing is I,m self employed and sub contract to a company. I wire boilers. Not sure if that is in demand in oz. I also do all kinds of domestic installations but don,t have the paperwork to back it up.

Hi, just to confirm you say you are qualified but have not done a NVQ3 ? Does this mean you are a domestic installer ? If you are then it's bad news as it is not recognised here. To get your trade recognised they are looking for a level 3 apprenticeship course like a C&G 2360 or 2330 I think the newer one is and time served. On top of that you will need the gap training which is different if you get vetassess recognised or TRA recognised. But in short if you are not a full UK electrician you are looking at an apprenticeship.

Edited by minty

Guest Charl.M

I,ve got C&G 2330 level 2 and level 3. 2392 inspection and test and 17 th edition wiring regs. I,ve spoken to vetassess and they won,t assess me as I,ve not got enough experience. Is a trades assistant the same as an apprentice. And would that be what I had to do, if so how long would I have to be an assistant for. I am a little concerned that I will struggle to find a job. Sorry for the bombardment of questions the bacons but I see you have put a lot of usefull info on here

OK. So you are qualified and have the Certs and now just have to have the experience side. From memory it's 5 years I think but check that. I know it's 5 years experience on the TRA route. This can include training time aswell.

A TA is just an electricians mate. You won't get a restricted though unless your Certs and your history have been assessed by Vetassess or TRA. You won't need to do s new apprenticeship you just need s bit of experience and to meet the time requirements.

Guest Charl.M

I thought it was 5 years experience that I needed. By the time I come over I will have roughly 4 1/2 years including training. With that info what would you suggest my best option would be upon arrival in oz.

Thanks for the replies and info

Cheers

Steve

Guest Charl.M

Sorry about that. Didn't realise you had posted twice. That's reassuring knowing that I won't have to start again. So what are the chances of work for someone in my position

If I was you I would leave it until you get here and then go down the TRA route. Make sure you bring over your working history, pay slips, accounts, references, etc. you can get work as a TA quite easily and most if the sparkles I know have had no issues finding work as a TA.

Edited by minty