Moving to Adelaide-Feb/March 2013!!(Anyone living nr Semaphore,Henley,West Lakes?)

Guest Leanne

Guest pennykate

Hi Mamaworld3

My name is Penny and myself, my husband and 2 children Ages 10 and 6 currently rent in West Lakes Shore.

We are also from Bolton :). We moved out here in March of this year and are so far loving every minute of it, we are currently on a 2 year secondment with my husbands job but all going to plan he can get a permenant position as the kids are adamant that they are not going back to Bolton.

Holly and Sam attend Nazareth Catholic primary school and we are very happy with how the school is and how similar the curriculum is to back home.

When we first got our Rental property we thought we would be in the Zone for West Lakes Shore primary school, which has a really good reputation, but unfortunately we are just out of this zone and were unable to get into the school.

We love the area, there is a small shopping area 2 mins walk from our house, Foodland (similar to the Coop), post office, chemist, Doctors, Coffee/Bakery shop and a hairdressers and also Thirsty Camel which is sometimes a little to accessible for a cheeky mid week bottle of wine.

We spend a lot of our weekends on the beach either at Semaphore or Grange where there is a nice walk along the front and nice coffee shops and cafes in both these areas.

My husbands works up at Elizabeth, Edinburgh Parks, which isnt far from where your hubby will be working, and its a 20/25 min drive which he never complains about, not like back at home getting stuck on A666 :(.

Hope this little bit helps and if you want to chat about anything or any advice then please dont hesitate to message me on here.

Would love to meet up also once your out here and my kids would love to show your kids the parks etc :).

Hope all final preperations are going to plan I remember it well with all the emotions and ups and downs, but believe me its worth it in the end.

Good Luck

Regards

Penny :)

Edited by pennykate

Guest MAMAWORLD3

Hi Penny,

Thanks so much for your message it was so kind of you to post it and very helpful.

So nice to hear you and your family have settled in so well and the children are wanting to stay. West Lakes Shores sounds lovely and what we are looking for. Is it possible to live close to West Shores Primary School or is the area around your childrens school better?

Im struggling to find many rentals online especially 4 bedded homes is there a shortage or are they snapped up quickly. We want to rent a holiday home for the first 4 weeks, until we can have a good look around. Is that what you did when you first arrived? Where did you stay and did you ship across your furniture. If so how long did the container take to arrive and did it unload at your new address or did you have to go collect it?

I have lots of questions to ask but dont want to take up too much of your time. I hope you dont mind!

Carmen

Hi Penny,

Thanks so much for your message it was so kind of you to post it and very helpful.

So nice to hear you and your family have settled in so well and the children are wanting to stay. West Lakes Shores sounds lovely and what we are looking for. Is it possible to live close to West Shores Primary School or is the area around your childrens school better?

Im struggling to find many rentals online especially 4 bedded homes is there a shortage or are they snapped up quickly. We want to rent a holiday home for the first 4 weeks, until we can have a good look around. Is that what you did when you first arrived? Where did you stay and did you ship across your furniture. If so how long did the container take to arrive and did it unload at your new address or did you have to go collect it?

I have lots of questions to ask but dont want to take up too much of your time. I hope you dont mind!

Carmen

I can't comment on West Lakes, but as far as shipping goes there are lots of threads about all things shipping in the transport and shipping section of the forum. If you have a look through some of thise it should help to answer some of your questions. Basically though the shippers come and pack everything up for you in the UK and load it in to a container. This is shipped to Australia and the shipping company at this end sorts out it going through customs etc and then delivers everything to your house. Some companies will even unwrap and unpack everything for you as well. Our container took 9 weeks door to door, but they can take longer or even a bit less.

Guest MAMAWORLD3

Thanks for that, gosh 9 weeks! that sounds so long how did you manage?

We may have to look at renting furnished house for longer than 4 weeks or sleep on blow up mattresses this side for a month!

Ha ha fun days ahead...

Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for that, gosh 9 weeks! that sounds so long how did you manage?

We may have to look at renting furnished house for longer than 4 weeks or sleep on blow up mattresses this side for a month!

Ha ha fun days ahead...

Thanks again for your help.

We managed by living with my mum in the UK for seven weeks before moving over and then spent two weeks at my mother in law's house. Lots of people do the whole camping out in unfurnished rental thing though and quite often there are people on here who are able to lend you stuff or who are giving things away for free.

• 1 month later...

Hello

We leave here 18 jan.

we are looking around Semaphore.

our stuff only goes from here 14 jan. we have no one to live with in UK or OZ.

so we will be camping in OZ in our rental until our stuff arrives.

My plan is to buy the basics and then sell them on once we dont need them

i am hoping to find garage sales and charity shops!!!

Can anyone let me know about schools please around semaphore?

thanks

Hi, our visa finally arrived this week! Soooooooooo scary now as its feeling more and more real! We will most likely be looking around Semaphore and will probably do the camping in unfurnished too! We'll arrive end of Feb, no dates finalised yet.

(I'm also interested in Schools in semaphore but won't need them yet as my little one is just 3)

Anyone else moving over feeling terrified..!?!?

Leanne x

Hello

We leave here 18 jan.

we are looking around Semaphore.

our stuff only goes from here 14 jan. we have no one to live with in UK or OZ.

so we will be camping in OZ in our rental until our stuff arrives.

My plan is to buy the basics and then sell them on once we dont need them

i am hoping to find garage sales and charity shops!!!

Can anyone let me know about schools please around semaphore?

thanks