Guest y not

trades in Austraila

Guest y not

Hi I hear the trades are not very busy at the mo, is that the same all year round in SA? I am coming over in feb,to have a good look around, because i just love the look of Adelaide and the sub. Im a bricklayer with two children, 6, and 4, I do all trades. Because at the moment i am in building maintenance, (last 7 yrs) so i have to plaster, plumbing, painting, ect, thanks Lee

Edited by y not
    bit more info

Guest Guest5035

i hear theres a down turn in the housing areas at the moment

stevo

Trades are struggling just now and have been for the last year or so and no sign of improvement in the near future, I see you are a bricklayer they have been hit real bad as there is not a lot of housing going up.If you are able to do general property maintanance you should be able to pick up something in that line but in general its very slow.

It is quite slow at the moment. The government is trying to stimulate the building / purchase of new homes by substantially increasing the first time subsidy for new build purchases.

I am in a business where i want people to come and settle in Adelaide but to be entirely honest I do know former guests who have decided to move to other states because of the slowdown here and sporadic nature of getting work in the building trade.

Do yourself a favour when you get here and visit some of the construction sites. Another useful thing to do would be to get hold of the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs, sort out your licence to enable you to work for yourself.

You can also do the white card which is required to work on building sites. It only takes a few hours and is availble to do online now.

Contact Master Builders or TAFE and see when they are doing their two components of the small business management course (required for the business licence).

Register yourself on the ATO website and get an ABN number as well!

Best of luck.

Tamara

Guest Guest5035

might pay to go interstate on your travels aswell.

stevo

Guest y not
    might pay to go interstate on your travels aswell.

stevo

Thanks for your help, thinking of a quick trip to Perth as well.

Don''t do the white card course on line as its not accepted by a lot of places its a day course in a classroom and about $100 .Tamara makes it sound so easy its a long struggle to get your builders licence can take at min a couple of months and can cost well over $1500 .

It is quite slow at the moment. The government is trying to stimulate the building / purchase of new homes by substantially increasing the first time subsidy for new build purchases.

I am in a business where i want people to come and settle in Adelaide but to be entirely honest I do know former guests who have decided to move to other states because of the slowdown here and sporadic nature of getting work in the building trade.

Do yourself a favour when you get here and visit some of the construction sites. Another useful thing to do would be to get hold of the Office of Consumer and Business Affairs, sort out your licence to enable you to work for yourself.

You can also do the white card which is required to work on building sites. It only takes a few hours and is availble to do online now.

Contact Master Builders or TAFE and see when they are doing their two components of the small business management course (required for the business licence).

Register yourself on the ATO website and get an ABN number as well!

Best of luck.

Tamara

Guest y not
    Don''t do the white card course on line as its not accepted by a lot of places its a day course in a classroom and about $100 .Tamara makes it sound so easy its a long struggle to get your builders licence can take at min a couple of months and can cost well over $1500 .
    thanks for the info all helps