Guest Jo rainbow richards

Second week in Adelaide from Devon UK

Hi we are looking for a long term rental and to buy a car, the rentals that we have looked at are getting snapped up super quick, we only got another two weeks left in our holiday home, anyone got any ideas? we are using real estate.co.au and Domain.au x

Hello and welcome :)

Have you checked some of the ads on here for people breaking their leases etc? In the Accommodation Available section. Have a browse. Some of our members have listed lease breaks this week.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/accommodation-available/

Also some members are selling cars in the For Sale/Wanted forum

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/sale-wanted/

Guest weegie

HI there, I have been looking at rented accommodation in Adelaide for a year,sad, I know, since we don't arrive till next Feb, but anyway...

This is my main stay - it is fantastic - all the estate agents in one place - http://www.homehound.com.au

It won't let you down x

Try gumtree or the local paper. Some landlords don't use agents so won't be on the agents websites.

Guest nakigirl

Definately try the Advertiser on a Saturday. Lots of private landlords advertise here and in our case this has worked really well.

Hello fellow Devonians! We are three months in, also from Devon (Newton Abbot). Good luck with the house hunting.

hi fellow Devonians, how is it going three months in? We are from Plymouth and have a feeling that once we have a long term rental things will get easier, cos we can get the kids into a school etc. It's only our first week, I can nearly do the accent!!! thanks for making contact x

Thanx maki girl will get one this weekend x

Guest waltzingmatilda

Well done on your move over there in the first place!!! We are also from Devon Tiverton to be exact. We have sold our house and wanting to move in Feb sometime but getting really nervous about where to live, getting jobs etc Good luck with finding somewhere!!

Quite a spread from Devon then! Plymouth up to Tivey...

I think Adelaide is a bit like Plymouth in some ways - very under-rated as a city, Plymouth has one of the finest harbour views of any city in the world - the Hoe is a marvel.

It all seems like a huge mountain to climb, but 3 months in and we are feeling like we are living here - we just dealt with each thing at a time and whilst we weren't blown away to start with (afterall Devon is probably one of the best bits of the UK to come from, not that I'm biased or anything!), it's really growing on us and certainly no talk of it not working.

I think the hardest part was working out which bit of Adelaide we really wanted to live in - so many choices and so dependant on what you want. For us it was, near beach, near places to cycle and short commute to work (i.e. the city) and the Lockleys area fitted the bill best.

Oh and I was really worried about not getting a job but that just seemed to happen too....

It'll all work out dreckly!

We secured along term rental today yippee! So we move in on the 20th of this month and wait for all our stuff to come on the 29th of next month so we will have to get some airbeds for a few weeks but that's good, we can do that, pretty used to camping anyway, and now that we have a rental lease agreement we can start looking at schools for the kids. Glad you got a job pretty quick, my hubs starts his next month, and I will start looking in the new year. The cycling is great round here isn't it, there are routes everywhere, got a few free maps from the library today. Stay in touch dreckly, me lover n all the jannerisms!!! Xx

Thanx waltzing Matilda things ate getting by the day good luck in feb with your move x

I cant read n I cant write but that don't really matter cos I come from the west country and I can drive a tractor x

Guest yer tiz

Bovey tracey to Happy Valley on a tractor 3 years ago

Adelaide needs a Trago Mills.

Edited by yer tiz

Guest MarkIngram

Welcome fellow Devonians - I was born in North Devon and lived here now for about 3.5yrs. Best move ever!!!

This is quite an interesting thread to me in that Devon is a pretty decent part of the UK - and yet people are still moving from there to SA and Adelaide and are settling. I do miss the Devon hills and how different the towns are, etc and I've struggled a little with the fairly samey suburbs of Adelaide. The terrific weather makes a huge difference however and I've found that it's very easy to get out of the city for a countryside fix :)

Guest MarkIngram
    hi fellow Devonians, how is it going three months in? We are from Plymouth and have a feeling that once we have a long term rental things will get easier, cos we can get the kids into a school etc. It's only our first week, I can nearly do the accent!!! thanks for making contact x

Good ole Plymouth. I was at Marjons Uni up by the hospital. I used to live just off Mutley Plain (where all the students lived) - loved it!!

Guest echunga14

Hi fellow Plymouthians.

I too am from Plymouth (Deer Park Eggbuckland) and have been here 3 yrs this weekend but 4 in total (long story)

Welcome to Adelaide! we live in the beautiful Adelaide hills and have bought a house oct 12. Do you know what areas you are looking and where you will be working as journey times can vary big time.

Sorry just realised how old this message is! but if you get it maybe you can get in touch and see how your getting on. Our kids in Echunga primary and doing well..