Angela

6 Months Since In - Our Thoughts

Hopefully it will be useful to those of you back in the UK, I know I always enjoyed reading the highs/lows before I emigrated here.

Firstly, my OH Ashley still continues to work as an employee, his probation finishes this month so hopefully no surprises there . His trade is much slower & at times frustrating, there are day's he hasn't been busy & he has found that really hard coming from a self employed trade in P&D. The people are helpful & he has slotted in perfectly. The next 3 - 6 months we will be getting his license & ABN with a view to doing the same here at the end of the year.

The children love it, if we wanted to come back they wouldn't :wubclub:. They seem to like the school, its 10 minutes drive away. They have a more settled routine, swimming, SLSC, taekwondo & even golf (my eldest is pretty good so I am told :) but his Dad isn't LOL).

Our house, its taken some time to do the cosmetics. Its a 4 bed, single storey with a pool. We love the surburb, flat so we can take our new addition, MAX, out for walks. Lots of paddocks, no through roads so the kids can play out safely, at times I cannot get them to go anywhere they love it so much at home. We have had a few problems with the house, air con broke, pool's had a few ups & downs but we are getting there it just takes time. We are also 10 minutes drive from some of the best beaches IMO.

Me, well I left Boots back in August 07 after 21 years job sharing. I am now working casual for a neighbour & I've just started working 2 nights a week at the cinema, both allow me to be at home every day so there are no worries about not being there for the children during the holidays. I was hoping for something part time but this have proven quite difficult as my experience lies within supply chain management & job share is not common here, but I kind of thought it would be hard for me to continue in this industry.

Beaches, love them, favourite for me has to be Port Noarlunga South but recently we had the pleasure of being invited to our first wedding down at Normanville & the beaches around there are AMAZING :).

The weather, its been great, I've hardly ever needed a jacket (if ever) & we seem to have an extended Summer just now at 34+ degrees :).

I could go on more but in a nutshell :

Would I go back? No.

Has it been easy? Not all the time but you have to work at everything in life & this is certainly no exception.

Are we better off? Putting pen to paper yes, but often it feels like we aren't, but I don't have any regrets at all.

Good luck for those still waiting to come over, Adelaide is what we expected it to be, it hasn't disappointed us at all, we are all very happy.

Just one last thing, friends, we have met many great people here, they have been helpful, good listeners & I thought this might be a cause for being home sick but for us it hasn't, we feel very fortunate to have met so many lovely people.

Angela

Angela,

Great that you have settled in well, have been keeping up with all the pics on yourspace. looks all amazing. Cant wait to get out there now and hopefully bump into you all. Take care and carry on enjoying

Hey!

So good to hear you are all loving it.... Hope it continiues for you and your family!

See you all in 7 weeks!!

Dan and Steph

Guest happy-jools

Well Angela I knew you were going to do this post as we talked about this on MSN the other day. And you didn't dissapoint.

Great read, and so pleased kids wouldnt come home, cause if thats a worry for a parent(s) its the kids isnt it.

14 weeks to go and counting till we leave the UK, via USA to Adelaide. Cant wait and getting very exited. I know it will be winter when we arrive but may have to have a BBQ just for the hell of it. Catch up soon.:chatterbox:

Guest Roo1

Hi Angela!!

Even though I see you every now and again, its so good to hear that you have settled in to life in Adelaide. You have a great circle of friends around you, which I think is important when you are so far away from family and friends back in the U.K.

As you know, we all have our up and down days. Only yesterday I got a pang for the U.K when I read an email from an old neighbour telling me about the gossip on my old street. But to be honest, there wasn't much, as people's lives back there are still the same and they still do the same things.

I feel really blessed to have this lifestyle and thats all I'm going to say on that.

Big hug hun

Judi xx

Guest mOZzy

i can't believe it's already been 6 months for you :err:

thanks for the update - as you said it's always a nice thing to read for all us still in the uk!!

we don't expect it to be easy but good to hear that you were able to settle in rather quickly! especially great to hear that the kids love it - that's the main reason, isn't it!!!

good luck with all the things to come!

Guest Nick11

Can't believe we've only been mates for 6 months babes

Doesn't time fly.

Speak sunday

Nick

x

Guest donna T

Congratulations on your first 6 months - it feels a lot longer doesn't it?

See you soon

Much love

Donna xxx

Guest steve&tracy

fantastic post. Long may you keep enjoying yourselves.Great to hear your kids have settled.

Hopefully be over in June and possibly bump into you and all you others overthere already.

Guest jill wright

Hi Angela

Thankyou so much for taking the time to share your experiences its so encouraging to us all here waiting to go. Also invaluable as we can't afford a reccie so any insight whether good or bad is very much appreciated

Jillx

Guest pickard family

That is the post I have been looking for, I wanted to know the fors and againsts, the highs and lows, thanks so much.

Carol x

Guest caoimhe

Hi Angela, thank for taking the time to give us your thoughts on the place. It's nice to hear there is light at the end of this waiting game!!!

Good luck to you all

Guest weesp

How wonderful that you have settled into your new life. I really needed to read this today as I've had a really emotional day, saying goodbye to my sister who lives in Holland and won't see for a while, really felt like saying I've had enough and want to stay here, why, I don't know. We sold our house on Friday and I know I should be really excited but am really upset at leaving everybody, god knows how I'm gonna cope nearer the time when we go. It gives me strength to carry on reading your thread, and how quickly you and your family have settled. I wish you all the best and hopefully we should be there about May!!

Lynn

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:hi angela, loved reading your thread, its nice to you are all getting on well, and the kids seem settled in theie schools,hope things just keep on getting better,

nicky

Guest Donna

That's lovely - I'm pleased your all so happy - you deserve it love x

Great news Angela,

We arrived on 14th Feb, 2008. A great day to start our new life down under.

I hope our first 6 months is as good as yours, nears to the next 6 months,

Well done.

Guest deb and stoo

Yo Angela dude

Think you've just about summed up how we're feeling too, though slightly different in our case with the contracting around Oz, still never mind am sure permi work will come to me if I keep trying.

You're dead right about having friends that you can count on, it really does make all the difference and I think yesterday and today proved it, lots of smiling faces lots of friendly people and a great time had by all, the sort of day you can sit back and think yes, this is why we came as its not something we would have ever done in the UK.

Anyway once again a great post, maybe if I can get an internet connection up in Darwin I might do one too(off Wed for 3 1/2 weeks:().

Take care, see you when I get back and hope Ash treats you to a new cossie (please get similar style:notworthy:)

:)

Guest Lulujim

Hi Angela,

It was really uplifting to read your thoughts on the first 6 months in adelaide. The visa process is so long that reading nice messages about adelaide spurrs us on and confirms we are doing exactly the right thing by emigrating.

Thanks for sparing the time. We met up with some other 'Poms in Adelaide' users yesterday in Lincoln, and all said how kind it was for people who have now emigrated to still take the time to let us know what it's like in South Australia.

Hope the next 6 months are even better!

Guest graandjac

:notworthy:Thanks Angela, Ashley, great to see that things are still going well for you , it seems so long ago now that we met you at the meet....!!!! .Hope to be out there soon makes us burst with excitement reading other peoples progress reports:p, cant put into words how we feel right now, just want to be there. Cheers Gra & Jac