Nursing experiences

Guest alan smallman

Guest alan smallman

Hi :)

Are there any nurses out there who may be able to tell us how they've found working conditions compared to the NHS back in UK. We appreciate that you'll need a level of diplomacy if you decide to reply to this thread, but we're just after general stuff really. y'know, like was it a good move to nurse over there, what opportunities are there, how do the practices differ? we've heard that there are dedicated manual handling teams who hoist heavy patients. stuff like that really. What type of culture is it at work (appreciate this may differ from hospital to hospital). Does a 'can-do' culture exist where you get support for courses, etc? we'd be interested in any feedback people can give us regarding their experiences on the wards or in theatre. We plan to come over with an agency who are gonna set us up with a couple of informal tours around a couple of establishments when we get there. Just had a really bad shift on my ward :sad:and I'm trying to cheer myself up by thoughts of how better its going to be. we've done some research but there's no substitute for experience (Alan). Any thoughts please? Cheers

Pauline & Alan:)

Reccy Planned in May 2008

House up for Sale

CRB checks in

Hi there

My hubby is nursing over here (I am yet to start - but I am a midwife so things will be a nit different!). Andy worked in the NHS in the UK as most people do but is working in a private hospital here and is loving it. He says that he has never felt more appreciated - for example Friday is scone day - the managment send round scones and coffee for the staff (free), once a year all the staff and their families are treated to an all expenses paid trip to the races (food and drink included). Andy is all set to do his ALS soon - he will carry crash bleep for the hospital when he has completed it. He is in bed at the moment as he has just finished a night but I will ask him to post once he gets up. He has done agency at 2 of the public hospitals (ICU) and has enjoyed working at both of these although both units are huge compard to the units he's worked in, in the UK - with 28 -36 beds (I think - will get him to confirm that and fill you in on the rest later!):)

Lindsey

Guest alan smallman

Dear Linds (sorry that's the Brummie coming out in me - we always shorten names)

Can't tell you what a piece of 'silver lining' it was to receive your thread. Like the scones idea. We are lucky if we get a break to eat or drink in!! I do nights but I'm looking to get back to days - being a vampire kind of puts you out of the loop a little in terms of what's on offer to day staff (courses etc). I would be interested if Andy had any feedback as to how he was initially received by nursing staff as a 'newcomer' to the team but with experience? My outlook is as long as people are cool, then everything you have to face is made easier - its a great outlook but I realise that it has its flaws with the world not being THAT perfect!!! I'm just trying to get a 'handle' on what we may be letting ourselves in for. We'll have more of an idea when we come over in May, but your feedback is very heartening and it's the kind of stuff that spurs you on, so a BIG thank you as I'm feeling a little cheesed off and lacking in the old confidence at the mo. You've cheered me up no end. Scones eh? very nice. Thanks again and take care

Good luck to you all.

Best Wishes

Alan

• 2 years later...
Guest Peachie
Dear Linds (sorry that's the Brummie coming out in me - we always shorten names)

Can't tell you what a piece of 'silver lining' it was to receive your thread. Like the scones idea. We are lucky if we get a break to eat or drink in!! I do nights but I'm looking to get back to days - being a vampire kind of puts you out of the loop a little in terms of what's on offer to day staff (courses etc). I would be interested if Andy had any feedback as to how he was initially received by nursing staff as a 'newcomer' to the team but with experience? My outlook is as long as people are cool, then everything you have to face is made easier - its a great outlook but I realise that it has its flaws with the world not being THAT perfect!!! I'm just trying to get a 'handle' on what we may be letting ourselves in for. We'll have more of an idea when we come over in May, but your feedback is very heartening and it's the kind of stuff that spurs you on, so a BIG thank you as I'm feeling a little cheesed off and lacking in the old confidence at the mo. You've cheered me up no end. Scones eh? very nice. Thanks again and take care

Good luck to you all.

Best Wishes

Alan

Hi Al (worked in brum for a while)

we moved over at chrimbo and I got a job quickly at a public hossie the shift patterns are a bit behind the UK the lates feel late!!) but feel I do loads less have more patient time and get more dosh for less hours than I did in the UK would defo recommend it the grass is defo greener (I stiill have a snigger to my self when the locals moan their busy!!!)

good luck Peachie x

Guest cornish Busdriver

My missus is a theater nurse in flinders and loves its there.

When she came over here she got a job though and agency and got a job at the Calvary Wakefield which she was not at all impressed with or happy with.

She said its very much the same as the uk just that some things are done or called differently but there are a lot more oppituintys for progression.

Wages are better than the UK if you work public but less in the private sector.

Guest Carolandcraig

Hi all, my wife used to work with Alan in the UK and we met up a few time here. Things didnt go quite as planned for him and has returned back to the UK.

On a plus note though my wife loves here job here, she works in a private hospital and says "I can actually do my job now and give people the proper care they deserve" well most of them any way lol.