Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kiki

Thought this was good...

Guest Kiki

Hi Guys,

I was checking out another forum and there was a thread about a Nationwide current account and how you were not charged for using your card in OZ. Unlike many other bank card companies.

I thought it was a great idea for our Recci in March so I don't have to get a small amount of money changed over I can just use this card and use my UK funds. Thought it would be great when we move as family and friends can put cash in for birthdays etc and we can spend it in OZ and not get charged.

I applied online so it was really easy. Just thought Id pass it in on. Any extra input from peeps already there with if its works etc would be appreciated. I think some cashpoints/banks in Oz charge you so you have to watch out for that. :mad:

Kimberley x :wubclub:

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:hi kimberley,

definatly let us know if it works, that would be a great idea, do you think it would work long term though,i suppose you would need someone to look after the account and statements etc from the england side of things, have a great recci & let us know how you get on,

nicky

Guest Kiki

Hi Nick and Andy

Theres a second tier to the account so you can opt for online banking ( I think I read it right) so that would take care of statements. Im sure there is someone out in Adelaide who has this. Its supposed to be really popular with travellers and students as it saves them money.

Kimberley x:cute:

Guest Matt & Suzi

I have heard it is the same with Barclays, you can take money out with your UK card and not get charged, not 100% sure but I did read it somewhere.

Guest Libby1971

Good idea

In Oz, for those not familiar with the system for Oz banks, they don't have a debit card system (ie.e the 3 in one all singing/ dancing chq guarantee, visa debit, cash card).

Instead, you can use your eftpos card (cash card/ swipe card) and the money is taken out. You are allowed x withdrawals at the cash machine free each month but after that amount you are charged. Cheapest way is to ask for cashback at your supermarket.

Some places/ companies will let you use cheques but there is no guarantee card!

The cash machine that you use in Oz will usually charge a fee if not linked to the bank it represents so watch that.

Libby

Guest sarahsmartiepants

There is no charge here, or from the nationwide if you get your money from Nationwide via the hole in the wall here. My mum does it all the time.

I also still have my nationwide account open in the Uk for peeps to transfer monies for bdays and chrimbo. I can get it out here with no charge on my nationwide account. Also they send me statements and new cheque books (good for sending in cards for Uk bdays and chrimbo!

sarah