Guest seekingsunshine

would you train to be a teacher or a nurse?!?!

Guest seekingsunshine

Hi,

was wondering if any one had any advice?

I already have a degree so would enter both courses as a post grad..

for early years/primary teaching i would be doing two years of post grad study

for nursing be two years of study-entering at the second year level...

i think i would enjoy either course and would enjoy both jobs just not sure what the job market is like for teachers? nursing i believe would offer more current employment opportunities...

anyone have any ideas?!

That is so difficult to answer . I love Nursing and would not make a good teacher in a classroom situation . What does your heart tell you to do ?

Choices Mmmmm !

All the best with whatever you choose.

Personally I wouldn't choose either. They are pretty different careers though and I think you need to consider exactly what each would involve and which you are better suited to and which you would prefer. Or maybe compromise and teach nursing.

Guest RobJ1978

and nursing means working shift, school holidays...and worse of all...xmas!

So true Nic!! How's your job going? we are flying out Jan 9th. I havn't started looking for a job yet, trying to get a short term rental sorted, its doing my head in!! Hope everythings going well for you.

Bev x

Guest AngPhil

I have been teaching for 13 years and it is not the job to do if you are not 100% sure. I have a really good friend who is a nurse, she would say the same. Both are vocational careers. With teaching you get 1/4 of the year off work, but are responsible for up to 32 children all say. My advice wold be spend a few days job shadowing both and see if you find a passion or either.

Good luck

Ps I had a job virtually straight away when I got here and my nurse friend was the same.

Guest lynne x

Hi,

Are you studying in Adelaide ?If so I think there are financial incentives to encourage people to study nursing /midwifery here.

There are lots of nursing jobs available,Im obviously giving you a biased opinion as a nurse but really cant imagine getting the same level of job satisfaction from any other career .

Good luck with whichever path you choose ,

Lynne :smile:

Guest julie2010

I dont think its as simple as a teacher or a nurse... There are lots of variations in each role. For example I love Mental Health Nursing, it is a branch that you can study. I could not however, have been an Adult nurse or a Child nurse. Also its not an easy degree to do, it involves 50% of the 3 years working on placements that are out of your control and often in areas you are not interested in. You have outcomes to meet on placements, portfolio's to put together whilst also doing assignments set by the uni. You dont get the holidays other degree students get... However, if it is something you love and really want to do it is the most fulfilling role but I cant quite remember when the last time I had nothing to do was!!!

Guest RobJ1978

i wouldnt presume ur going to get a job as a nurse. things have changed and its hard to get perminent employment now. i see it going the same way as uk ..strong statement i know but where i work arent recruiting and contracts arent getting renewed....sad but true.

Guest xhaylesx

Hmm no incentives to study nursing/midwifery at all. In the UK your given a bursary but here there is no such thing.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

Guest Amy Denyer

Hi there

I am a teacher looking to move (hopefully - visa permitting) in July. Great to hear you got a job straight away! What do you teach? Could you tell me how you went about securing it?

Amy :)

Guest AngPhil

Hi Amy,

I teach secondary Maths. I started applying before I left the UK and had an interview when I arrived. I think it is much harder from primary teachers and they do relief teaching before getting something more permanent.

Good luck

Ang