Cost of Furniture in Adelaide:

Guest julie2010

Guest julie2010

Hi,

We have just been discussing what are plans would be regarding furniture and shipping. A large proportion of our furniture is getting pretty old now, possibly 8-9 years old and there isnt so much that I would say was expensive. We have refrained from replacing the furniture as we have always tried to avoid having to pay for a container on leaving. However, with it becoming clear that furniture and white goods are very expensive in Adelaide is it worthwhile to perhaps have a spree around places like IKEA in the UK and keeping items flatpacked.

However, in order for us to calculate our savings we are wondering if anyone could provide an average price for any of the following items:

Flat screen TV approx 42 inch.

King Size Bed

Double Bed

Single Bed

Bunk Bed

Washing Machine

Tumble Dryer

TV Table

Bookshelves

Computer Desks

Laptops (nothing flash)

Coffee Tables

Chest of Drawers

Outside Table and Chairs

Barbecue

Hoover

Fridge/Freezer - Large family size for 5 people

Sofas

Dining Table and Chairs

Jacuzzi - 6 person or more.

Ill update the prices on here as people report back in order for others to use it as a guide too. We only have basic models at the moment as most were bought when I moved into my first home and we are not looking for anything flash.

Thankyou

I'd suggest using an online search and check out some Aus stores that also have an online option and pricing up the stuff you are after. Its easy enough. Once you have the names of a few stores (hopefully people on here will give you some) you should be good to have a browse and get an idea.

For example, one quick search for plasma TV got me this

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-lcd-led-plasma/

And beds got me

http://www.bedsonline.com.au/ plus loads of other returns

I know when I've researched the cost of things and used online stores and Ikea Aus etc I've been able to find the goods from cheap to really expensive (Aus $$ wise). Also you can haggle on prices in Aus still it seems.

Be aware if you buy new and leave it all flatpacked etc you may get stung for import fees when it arrives in Aus.

Ikea are in Aus and there is one in Adelaide. http://www.ikea.com/au/en/

Guest vikkiann

Le Cornu and super a mart are cheap for furniture. We bought a 55" tv for about $900, not a big brand but good enough. Furniture in ikea is double the dollars that it would be in pounds. A 6 burner BBQ set us back about $20 from k mart. A bedroom suite, queen bed, 2 x bedside tables and dressing table was $1500 from super a mart, mattress was about $400 fro le Cornu. You just need to haggle and shop around

Hi,

We have just been discussing what are plans would be regarding furniture and shipping. A large proportion of our furniture is getting pretty old now, possibly 8-9 years old and there isnt so much that I would say was expensive. We have refrained from replacing the furniture as we have always tried to avoid having to pay for a container on leaving. However, with it becoming clear that furniture and white goods are very expensive in Adelaide is it worthwhile to perhaps have a spree around places like IKEA in the UK and keeping items flatpacked.

However, in order for us to calculate our savings we are wondering if anyone could provide an average price for any of the following items:

King Size Bed

Double Bed

Single Bed

Bunk Bed

Washing Machine

Tumble Dryer

TV Table

Bookshelves

Computer Desks

Laptops (nothing flash)

Coffee Tables

Chest of Drawers

Outside Table and Chairs

Barbecue

Hoover

Sofas

Dining Table and Chairs

Ill update the prices on here as people report back in order for others to use it as a guide too. We only have basic models at the moment as most were bought when I moved into my first home and we are not looking for anything flash.

Thankyou

Hi, I don't have a list of all the individual items but we came over a year ago and were in the same position of having old stuff that was past its best and would be cheaper to buy new than ship. I shipped a couple of my favorite kitchen basics but other than that bought everything for a family of 5 for under $10,000. A brief list 8 seat table and chairs, 2 tv units, 3 seat sofa and 2 recliner armchairs, 2 queen beds, a single that converts to double,cabin bed, desk, large computer desk, dressing unit and mirror,Fridge freezer,washing machine,dishwasher,tv,dvd player,6 seat outsde table and chairs,BBQ, all bedding,all kitchen equipment,laundery bits. Theres probably a few bits i missed but thats the basic picture. We kept within the lower price range generally but could have gone cheaper on most items if required. We used places like: Le Cornu,Ikea,Super A Mart, Big W, Good Guys. Hope that gives you an idea.

To be honest it really depends what kind of thing you want to buy. We have some solid oak, european made, modern pieces of furniture that cost quite a lot in the UK and the equivalent would cost a small fortune in Australia. However it is possible to buy modern, solid wood furniture made in Australia, or from Australian wood for a comparable cost, if not cheaper, than what we paid for ours in the UK. Ikea is more expensive than the UK, especially at the current exchange rate, but there are plenty of other shops that sell similar quality stuff. Check out prices online but remember a lot of places will let you haggle so you can often buy things for less that the advertised price.

I'm a big believer in if you've got it ship it, or if you need it right now buy it and ship it. However I wouldn't go out and buy loads of new stuff to ship unless there was something specific that you really like that is either not possible or not easy to get hold of in Australia.

Guest julie2010

Thanks for the info everyone, it really has made me realise that we would be best waiting till we get over there. We are not too fussed at this stage about getting the best quality furniture and the prices in the Ikea catalogue alone look really promising. We are hoping to rent a furnished place initially with the aim to buy our own furniture over the space of 12 months so I believe we will be ok.

Thanks for the input!

Julie

• 2 months later...
Guest nickcoumbe

Personally, if I had the choice now I would have shipped everything in terms of furniture and kitchen stuff.

i still can't quite believe how expensive stuff here is.

we ended up using radio rentals and buying that stuff after a year. It was more expensive in the long run, t it helped the cash flow.

Guest magicsprout

Ive probably replaced everything in the last 4 years aside from the sofa, but bringing it with me saved alot of initial expense and there are things i got rid of in the uk i wish i had kept. In my experience bring everything no matter how insignificant. my biggest regret is not shipping my motorcycle :(

Don't think your statement is correct. Both furniture and white goods are comparable with costs in the UK. Look at some of the shops listed in the previous post and search online.

Furniture may be, white goods are definitely not.

To be honest I would say bring your stuff. I tried to do this research, couldn't get prices, and then seriously realised how difficult it would be to furnish a house from scratch, and also you would still have other stuff you wanted to bring. I think the shipping is cheaper.

fridge freezers in the UK are around £200 for a named brand. here they are upwards of $600 and more like $1K.

zanussi (electrolux)washing machine in the UK- around £200, in Australia Electrolux is between $600 - $1K.

Australians complain that white goods are more expensive here than elsewhere. And here people MEND fridges. In the UK we throw them away...

Just looked on currys website and a equivalent LG fridge freezer is £450 and an equivalent Samsung washer is £400. TVs are cheaper here to. Yes there are cheaper models in the UK but their was cheaper here too.

This is a good point though, don't take other peoples words for it people do your own research. Google your stuffs prices in the UK and then look on Aussie sites like the good guys and dick smiths and find out the prices here.

Guest MandiMR2
Hi,

King Size Bed

Double Bed

Single Bed

Bunk Bed

Washing Machine

Tumble Dryer

TV Table

Bookshelves

Computer Desks

Laptops (nothing flash)

Coffee Tables

Chest of Drawers

Outside Table and Chairs

Barbecue

Hoover

Sofas

Dining Table and Chairs

Thankyou

Hi Julie,

I've been comparing all our household possessions with view to either ship or leave & from my research I've found its gonna be cheaper to ship everything over & replace things as required!