scooterdan

Laptop repair....?

Hi,

We have a Toshiba Satelite laptop that is basically a brick now! Just wondered of anyone know anyone who could have a quick look and give us a quote for repairs. After repaired we just want to sell it anyway!!

Dan

Edited by scooterdan
    dodgy spelling!

Guest Crushfamily

Did you make a recovery disk when you bought it? If not can you see the windows serial number on the sticker underneath or has it rubbed off?

Guest Chris_J

Does it even switch on? Is the screen working? Needs more info but brick to me suggests it doesn't even power on.

Guest locrain

Dan

This might be a battery problem. Sharons did something similar recently. Try taking the battery out and just powering from the mains.

John

If you have another computer and it can burn a cd or dvd you may be able to use some rescue tools to get it going again. An alternative is to - if it's not a battery issue and power is getting through - use a live cd/dvd of a Linux distribution to see if you can get it going. You can boot from a live disk if the guts of the computer is still operating and if the existing operating system is cactus. With your other computer just download an iso file, burn it to a disk so that i becomes bootable, shove it in the slot and boot up (again this is assuming that the bios and other bits and pieces are still working). Failing that you can probably find in one of the many computer magazines around the place a cd or dvd attached that may well have a Linux distribution on it already (that's how I got started using Linux).

If that works and you have a user-friendly Linux distro on the laptop (eg LinuxMint or Ubuntu or similar - stay away from Arch or Gentoo and other more arcane distros) you may want to keep it instead of selling it as it's as functional as a Windows machine and software is free (as in free beer).

Powers on to solid back screen for few seconds and turns off again!

I had a Dell that did this. Waaaay too much to get fixed so I scrapped it.