2 Months in!

Guest ali

I can't believe that I've been here two months already.

I have settled in quite alright. I have a job and still looking for ways to start my business with minimal costs. I went to the cricket at the Oval even though I didn't see the game itself as I was invited to the members area and spent a wonderful afternoon there. Yesterday I went to a party in Brighton and fell in love with the area (first time I've been to the beach since arrival). The weathers been kind of strange but I have no issues with it whatsoever.

Sometimes the loneliness gets to me but then I go out to the local pub and have a few with the guys and head back home.

My advice to the new arrivals or people who are about to move is to see Adelaide for what it is. A wonderful small city with many lovely friendly people. To accept that it will be different from home and that is why you are moving here. Try and do what it takes to find some sort of employment as paying the bills with money earned while working here is definitely worth it. Try anything and everything (legal)!! At worst you are making extra money, meeting new people and creating connections in a country you have just moved to. Don't compare the prices to back home. This is Australia! What you find expensive here or not a good value for money you can always buy online.

One example is that the shoes I've liked here are very expensive compared to the money I'm making so I'll shop online. Nothing wrong with that.

Enjoy the OZ beer even though its very different. I have always found Stella Artois my favorite but since arriving here I've had only one bottle of Stella and am now sort of accustomed to the local South Australian brew Coopers.

I don't know if I've made any sense or if anything I've put down will be useful or not but ask me any questions you might have and I'll do my best to give an honest answer. I don't know much about moving here with family and children though.

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

Great post Ali, but can't agree with you on the Coopers - it's gnat pee! I'll be shot down in flames for saying it but used to drink VB when we first got here. Have more refined tastes these days and buy Becks or Perroni when it's on special. Trying to persuade the old man to go and brew his own again as it was genuinely great beer but he's just too busy :(

Continued good wishes for the future mate, I reckon yours is looking particularly bright...

all the best

Liz

I actually like Coopers and sometimes buy it in UK from Waitrose although expensive. When in Adelaide we liked the McLaren Vale beer which is very nice, smooth and goes down very nicely in warm conditions.

Ali, was finding a job quite easy and is the job in your chosen field ? Work is my main concern as I would be leaving a good secure job in UK which I enjoy however I think we are ready for a new adventure.

S

Great post Ali, but can't agree with you on the Coopers - it's gnat pee! I'll be shot down in flames for saying it but used to drink VB when we first got here. Have more refined tastes these days and buy Becks or Perroni when it's on special. Trying to persuade the old man to go and brew his own again as it was genuinely great beer but he's just too busy :(

Continued good wishes for the future mate, I reckon yours is looking particularly bright...

all the best

Liz

Thank you Liz:smile: And I wish you guys the best as well:smile:

Cheers and Merry Christmas in advance:smile:

Great post Ali - glad you are settling into your new life so well.

If you have transport and fancy a trip down south the Mclaren Vale, I can recommend this little brewery - http://www.goodiesonbrewery.com.au/cellardoor.html

Thank you guys:smile: That's one issue I will have to resolve in the coming months. Once I find my feet I will visit the brewery and maybe we'll have a pint there together:smile:

Thanks for being a friend:smile:

Ali

Great to here you are settling in - sounds like you are embracing the Oz way of life - good on ya!

We arrive early Jan so hoping we settle in quickly too

Thank you Cornish Pasties:smile: Don't worry about settling in. If you have an open heart and are eager to start life in a new environment then you will give it a go and you'll be all right!:smile:

Safe trip and good luck:smile: Adelaide awaits your arrival:smile:

Ali

I actually like Coopers and sometimes buy it in UK from Waitrose although expensive. When in Adelaide we liked the McLaren Vale beer which is very nice, smooth and goes down very nicely in warm conditions.

Ali, was finding a job quite easy and is the job in your chosen field ? Work is my main concern as I would be leaving a good secure job in UK which I enjoy however I think we are ready for a new adventure.

S

I got here late October (21rst) and as it was near the end of the year I wasn't getting much. No the job I've got is not related to my expertise but I was willing to give it a go. We all leave a secure and warm place behind when we decide to start a new adventure. That is the whole point of an adventure, to go beyond our comfort zone and make something out of it. You might get a job in your field once you get here and yet you might have to look around for a few months. It doesn't work the same way for everyone. Be prepared to and go on the hunt. I hope you find what you are seeking here and I'm sure you will if you really want to!:smile:

Cheers and good luck:smile:

Ali

Guest dhanam.ravi
I can't believe that I've been here two months already.

I have settled in quite alright. I have a job and still looking for ways to start my business with minimal costs. I went to the cricket at the Oval even though I didn't see the game itself as I was invited to the members area and spent a wonderful afternoon there. Yesterday I went to a party in Brighton and fell in love with the area (first time I've been to the beach since arrival). The weathers been kind of strange but I have no issues with it whatsoever.

Sometimes the loneliness gets to me but then I go out to the local pub and have a few with the guys and head back home.

My advice to the new arrivals or people who are about to move is to see Adelaide for what it is. A wonderful small city with many lovely friendly people. To accept that it will be different from home and that is why you are moving here. Try and do what it takes to find some sort of employment as paying the bills with money earned while working here is definitely worth it. Try anything and everything (legal)!! At worst you are making extra money, meeting new people and creating connections in a country you have just moved to. Don't compare the prices to back home. This is Australia! What you find expensive here or not a good value for money you can always buy online.

One example is that the shoes I've liked here are very expensive compared to the money I'm making so I'll shop online. Nothing wrong with that.

Enjoy the OZ beer even though its very different. I have always found Stella Artois my favorite but since arriving here I've had only one bottle of Stella and am now sort of accustomed to the local South Australian brew Coopers.

I don't know if I've made any sense or if anything I've put down will be useful or not but ask me any questions you might have and I'll do my best to give an honest answer. I don't know much about moving here with family and children though.

Ali

Hai Ali

Like you, I am newly in Australia for one month.

It is really happy to hear that you are settling here with jobs particularly.

i am vigourously in job hunting.if you could let me know any sort of a thing to start to go.

i have applied for 100s of jobs and everybody is asking for previous experience even for cleaning jobs.

i am somewht worried but not without hope.

dhanam.ravi

Guest Paula H

8 weeks wow

i too have been looking for work, applied for loads to no avail.

so I'm in the process of setting up a cleaning business, any money coming in is smth. Need some clients now lol

Thank you guys:smile: That's one issue I will have to resolve in the coming months. Once I find my feet I will visit the brewery and maybe we'll have a pint there together:smile:

Thanks for being a friend:smile:

Ali

Thanks for the offer Ali - but I may not manage a pint (they do 6 different beers and a couple of them are well over 6%) a small sample of each will do

This is my husband and our son enjoying tasting them all! I'm surprised there's no camera shake as i tried them too.

DSC04859.jpg

Wow! Two months!! Doesn't seem possible lol! It's good to learn your positivity and sense of adventure has not lessened :)

Here's hoping you have a happy Christmas, new year and that 2013 brings you further successes.

:cool: LC

Hi LC,

I know!:wink: But strangely I feel as if I've been here longer than two months:jiggy:I've done so much and yet so little and the latter is pushing me forward. There is so much to do and so much to see (I yet have to make it to Glenelg and see what it's all about)!:biglaugh:

Merry Christmas and a great Happy New Year to you and the family:smile: I wish you guys all the best:smile:

Ali

Hai Ali

Like you, I am newly in Australia for one month.

It is really happy to hear that you are settling here with jobs particularly.

i am vigourously in job hunting.if you could let me know any sort of a thing to start to go.

i have applied for 100s of jobs and everybody is asking for previous experience even for cleaning jobs.

i am somewht worried but not without hope.

dhanam.ravi

Well dhanam you have to look for any opportunity and don't be shy about it. Look for staff wanted signs. Walk in and give them a print of your resume. Sign up with recruitment agencies, apply for jobs online. Visit company headquarters that work in your field and hand in your resume or if possible ask for an appointment with the HR manager. You have to give it a go man.:smile:

Ali

8 weeks wow

i too have been looking for work, applied for loads to no avail.

so I'm in the process of setting up a cleaning business, any money coming in is smth. Need some clients now lol

Paula have you worked out the costs of setting up a small business here? Have you registered a company or a brand name? The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking about setting up a small home business and bringing in extra cash (unless it starts doing really well then I'll manage it on a full time basis)

Good luck with it all and clients will be in abundant if you give them a good service at a good rate:smile:

Ali

Thanks for the offer Ali - but I may not manage a pint (they do 6 different beers and a couple of them are well over 6%) a small sample of each will do

This is my husband and our son enjoying tasting them all! I'm surprised there's no camera shake as i tried them too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5869[/ATTACH]

Hi Jane,

Thank you for sharing this picture:smile: Over 6%? Hm I've got to taste the 6 sample's and then crawl back home:wink: The brewery looks nice as well:smile:

Ali