The Macvicars have arrived in Adelaide!!!

cormcvcr

Hi all,

just thought I would borrow by cousins computer before we move into our rental as we won't have access to one until our internet is up and running and wanted to let you know the story so far........

we arrived on sunday 2nd March and so far have our rental house, bought a car, bought pretty much everything we need for in it too, OH has a job starting monday too

We went to Bunnings to buy the bbq and didn't realise how big it was and couldn't fit the box in the car no matter what we tried to do with it, I then burst out laughing and said I think we have been set up with this, there will be a video camera somewhere recording our many hilarious attempts at trying to get the bloody thing in the car, when..........

a lady came across the carpark, laughing hysterically and asking where we were heading and if she and her husband could be of any assistance, they then very kindly offered to take the bbq in the back of their jeep and take it too our door in hallett cove....... it turned out that the man was also a painter like my OH.

So if anybody has any doubts about the kindness of australians, don't fret any further, I have never experienced such kind and considerate people in a long time, even without the bbq incident!

Again the very best of luck to all who are still waiting, by the time you get your visa, we will be settled and will offer as much help as possible in the way it has been offered and done for us with other PIA members.

Speak to you all soon x

Guest Django

Good to hear you've arrived safe and well Cornelia.

Glad you're keeping the locals entertained;) Good luck with the settling in. Now you know the ropes you can sort out getting our BBQ home from the store when we get there. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Good to hear you've arrived safe and well Cornelia.

Glad you're keeping the locals entertained;) Good luck with the settling in. Now you know the ropes you can sort out getting our BBQ home from the store when we get there. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Cheers for that Pete, only too happy to help, if I can't offer a solution, you'll have a good laugh at seeing us trying!!

HI Cornelia, have been watching avidly over the last few days expecting you to post your experiences. Glad to hear its all going well. I knew you'd take to it like a duck to water. Were hopefully having a Scottish meet next week before Lippy flies off - be sure we'll raise a glass to you all.

look forward to hearing more of your experiences.

take Care

Moira

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:glad your enjoying your new life so far, good to hear every one will go that extra mile to help, will keep an eye out for future posts

nicky

Guest jill wright

Hi

Nice to hear from you, we too have been watching out for your post.Keep them coming its great to hear how you're all doing and kind of you to take the time to let us all waiting over here to go what its actually like

Cheers The Wrightsx

Guest suejohndan

Hi There,

Glad to hear you got there safely.

How was the flight with the children. We have an 8 and 5 yr old and I'm dreading the flight already.

Good luck with your future plans in Oz hope all goes well. Keep us all informed.

Guest mOZzy

hello hello!

so how is it on the other side of the world?!?!

great to hear that things seem to fall into place for you!

how was the house renting experience?

and how did you get a job for andy so quickly?!?!

and yes, how was the flight with the kids and well, everything really :biglaugh:

have a great time settling in and we'll see you soon ;)

Guest stufi1997

Well done guy's,...nice to see things done in true scot's style...do first think later . Good on Andy getting work so quick...can he put a word in for me??????

Hi Cornelia, So good to hear that things have all gone to plan for you all, well done on the job front. You seem to be settling in well, don't go wearing that bbq out keep it warm for us and the beers cold.

Can't wait to join you we're just waiting now !!!

Keep in touch

Karen and Keith

Hey hun, you've finally arrived. I keep driving past your place wondering if anyone had moved in. I saw the window open yesterday, so thought that must be a good sign!

Give us a bell when you have a mo and I'll pop round for a cold one!

Judi x

Guest Libby1971

Welcome to Adelaide!

I am so pleased you have found the Aussies friendly, and have the barbie sorted already, truly impressive!

Take care

Libby x

Hi guys,

just sneeking on again this will be the last as we are leaving my cousins in Morphett Vale just now to move into our house in Hallett Cove and need to wait until our own internet is up and running.

The flights were okay as we stopped off in Hong Kong (novotel, 5 minutes courtesy bus from the airport, rooms only sleep 2/3 max unfortunately so we had to book 2 rooms, but they were interconnecting which was good. The hotel was stunning, food good and access to a shopping mall and across the road from a swing park. 92.50 gbp, per room per night, but worth it!)

We flew with Cathay Pacific and were told we could take 40 kg, only to find out we were only allowed 20kg because it was a temporary visa, so watch out for this guys! The cost of taking the luggage with us was 35gbp per kilo, which worked out at 2500gbp! we contacted the shipping company who luckily were based in edinburgh who flew them over 2 days later at a cost of 435 with a charge of $240 at the other side, so a bit annoyed but cheaper than we first thought.

Kids coped brilliantly, flight was good but preferred quantas personally, they just have a bit more attention to detail!

speak to you guys soon. x

Guest stufi1997
Hi guys,

The cost of taking the luggage with us was 35gbp per kilo, which worked out at 2500gbp! we contacted the shipping company who luckily were based in edinburgh who flew them over 2 days later at a cost of 435 with a charge of $240 at the other side, so a bit annoyed but cheaper than we first thought.

:err:£2500...........!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP........... We contacted singapore airlines and they said they wer'nt sure but they would forward out a note our connections to say it would be alright with them???? but what a chance to take . It would be cheaper booking an extra seat!:confused:I can see us filling all the bins at the airport yet. i dont think our clothes are worth that anyway........that's it i'm going in my boxers and only taking a toothbrush!!!!1:biglaugh: Stu.

Guest donna T

Hi Cornelia

Welcome to a rather hot and sticky Adelaide:v_SPIN:

Well done on getting the barbie set up - record time that!

We are based in HC so if you need anything - let me know.

Good luck and we are sure to bump into you sooner or later

Donnaxx