Guest Kel87

Options for buying a car, what did you do??

Guest Kel87

Our move is at least a year away however I'm such a worrier/planner that my Australia folder is already huge!

We're considering options for cars on arrival and from our budget we estimate we'll have about $10k to spend but will likely need 2cars, I know that is not going to get us much! I will be working and my husband will need one to get about with the kids.

We have considered a few options and are looking for some feedback and also some idea of what you all did when you first arrived.

We will be renting a car for at least 2weeks on arrival.

*With the $10k we are not sure wether to buy 2 okish cars for $5k each?

* Buy a newer type car for $7500, through research we've saw quite a few nice cars for that price. Holden viva, Holden barina, Kia rio and similar models/spec all between 2006-2008 models with low Kms.

* if spending 7500 then using the other $2K to buy a cheap run around that will only be used when I'm working to get to and from work and that's all.

*use the $10k and split it as a deposit on 2 brand new cars on finance (not too keen on this commitment)

*buy the 7500 car a cheap 2k car for me until we are settled, sell the 2k car and use that as a deposit for finance on a brand new car for me, therefore we'll be left with a 7500 car and a brand new car once we are settled.

Advice/ideas?

Thanks.

Guest PaulandVicky

You have thought of everything. All your options are good ones, so I wouldn't worry until you get here and see for yourself what's available or around then. Cars seem expensive compared to the uk as well you may find. But you have thought about prices, etc. good researching...keep it up... But don't stress too much, it will all work out when you arrive.

There is a list floating around on pia 'what to do before and when I arrive' which is handy.

good luck

Guest declan magee

Hi

Couldn't advise on which type of car to buy but I used http://acaciacarrentals.com/ to book my hire car for a few weeks after arrival.

They will even come and pick you up from the airport for free.

They do not have new cars like Avis and Hertz but mine was reliable and clean. It was a 3.5 litre Mitsubishi estate car and cost about $40 per day, you get cheaper rate for a booking longer than 7 days.

Also one thing to remember , when you have purchased you car , when you are registering it in your name you will also have to pay GST.

I got a car for $20k and the GST was $758 , I nearly fell over after handing the girl a $10 note and she told me it was 7 HUNDRED.

Also worth looking at is the Government auctions, if you would like Toyota Camry , about 2 years old with full service history and low KM, it will cost about $12k

I would have gotten one myself but someone insisted on a 7 seater.

Hope this helps.

Are you sure you will need two cars? I catch the bus to work and my OH has the car. Before that my OH was working and he took the car to work and I walked everywhere. In a couple of weeks we will both be working and I will catch the bus And he will drive to work. Of course it depends on exactly where you are living and working but if you could get by on just one car, at least to start with, you could buy something a bit better then save for another one. Or just get by with the one car.

Guest Crushfamily

If the move is at least a year away then consider buying a car to take (you have to use and own a car for a year). A serious consideration would be something along the lines of a diesel Toyota Prado or Landcruiser a these are much cheaper in the UK and would have a good resale value here. Other cars are late BMWs. A base 320 diesel is $65000 here in SA against $39000 (£26000) in the UK. Factor in how much you could buy a three year old one in the UK probably £15,000 or less whilst here in SA cars do not depreciate. A $7500 medium sized car will be at least 10 years old and have 150,000+ kms. Shipping and import duties are to be added but if you choose wisely and it is a model that they have here you could do very well! I brought what I had and have done okay but wish I had had a years warning to choose something else!

Guest AngPhil

We bought a second hand Astra and got a 5 year warrenty on it. It was $6000 and has been great so far. We also bought a really cheap run about $800 to put us on. My OH got a vehicle with his job, so I sold the $800 car (and made a little profit).