One Year In - a bit long, sorry!

Guest donna T

Guest donna T

I can't beleive that I am writing a 1st year post already - time has flown and we feel as if we have been here forever.

We landed just over a year ago after flying with Singapore Airlines who were fab. The nightmare of taking a 2 year old and a 5 year old didn't happen - they were asleep within an hour on both legs which was a huge blessing to both us and the man in front of my daughter who had hit him on the head repeatidly for the first 35 mins!

We took OAA at Novar Gardens which was really basic but very central and very cheap - gave us a real incentive to get off our backsides and find a house asap.

We took a week to orientate ourselves and then Russ looked for work - he is a Print Finisher and rang a number of companies from the directory and had a couple of immediate interviews. He was lucky enough to be offered both jobs to start straight away. He doesn't much like the job and it is poorly paid but they treat him well and who knows what is around the corner.

The first 2 weekends we looked at around 40 houses in all sorts of areas and drove and drove and drove - no fun with 2 squabbling little ones in the back. It isn't easy deciding on area but we had a long list of suburbs that we had done a bit of research on and then drove around them putting either question marks, ticks or crosses against - not terribly scientific I know but it sort of worked for us.

We decided that it was a toss up between Hallett Cove (even though we had been determined to avoid it) and Flagstaf HIll, looked at schools in both and then went to every open in those areas. In week 3 we had bought our first Aussie house and moved in 4 weeks later.

The first weeks are a whirlwind and if you can d any of it leaving the kids at the beach with OH - do it!

Financially, we don't have much as the wages are lower and the prices a bit higher than we expected but most of the things we do don't cost much - swimming, beaches, little athletics, barbies and coffee mornings so I believe that the standard of life we have is far superior. There is always enough in the pot for a few bottles of red and a cold beer or two!

Joshua, my now 6 year old is thriving, from being a boy who wouldn't get his hair wet in the shower or swimming - he now boogie boards and crashes through the waves and is just learning to skimmer board too. He has lots of friends, an Aussie accent and plenty of attitude!

Isabelle, now 3, has sloted in beautifully, goes to a number of playgroups, and is due to start Kindy in September

I don't work at the moment so have plenty of time to meet up with all of the fantastic friends I have had the good fortune to make in the last year. Making friends is the key to settling here in my opinion, without them I would not have settled so well. I would urge everyone to be as open and honest about themselves as they can and accept every invitation. Thank you to all of those wonderfull people who I now call my friends (you know who you are)

So, we are settled, we have had our first visitors which was wonderful and horrid when they went back (but didn't sway us from being here) the kids are thriving, our social callender is certainly fuller than it ever was in the UK and we call Adelaide home.

Best of luck to everyone starting the process or newly arrived - it was the best move we ever made.

Sorry it was a bit of a waffle

Love from

Donna, Russ, Josh and Izzy x

Guest mOZzy

hello donna and thanks alot for taking the time :wubclub:

and there is never a 'too long so sorry' for an update!!!! :jiggy:

what a great post it gave me something to think about!

lovely to hear that the kids settled in so easily and you 2 of course!!

glad the aussies (and poms) made it so easy for you!

Guest graandjac

:notworthy:Not long at all, good to see that things have worked out for you and the kids have settled in to their new life . Although things some things are a little dearer it's nice to see that a good quality of life is not about how much money you have in your pocket. "The good things in life are free" keep enjoying . Cheers Gra & Jac

Guest caoimhe

Financially, we don't have much as the wages are lower and the prices a bit higher than we expected but most of the things we do don't cost much - swimming, beaches, little athletics, barbies and coffee mornings so I believe that the standard of life we have is far superior. There is always enough in the pot for a few bottles of red and a cold beer or two

Love from

Donna, Russ, Josh and Izzy x

That's what we are hoping for, as long as there are things to do with the kids that don't cost much and we can get by that's enough

Thanks Donna:wubclub:

Guest Django

Keep waffling away Donna. As mOZzy says you cannot post too much info in these sort of posts. For those stuck in the UK its good to see people can in just a year feel at home on the other side of the planet.

Who cares about money? So long as you can pay the bills and the kids don't miss out then what the hell. I know lots of people with lots of cash and are miserable as hell. Life is for living not for sitting at home counting how much money you have. ;)

Keep enjoying the good life. Hope to join you all soon.

Pete

Guest The Pottertons

What a great post, thanks so much. Im sitting here and althuogh determined to make it work when we get there, have real doubts about whether i'll manage it emotionally. Feel scared alot of the time that i wont settle and my family will. But your post and others like it make me realise it is possible and that life is too damn short. Ive now got butterflies in my stomach and i CANNOT WAIT!!!!! I'll write one of those posts one day! :cute: xx Thanks again Yvonne

Great post Donna, I'm surprised you have any energy left in you after today's punishing gym class!

So glad you've settled in to Aussie life. Like Libby, I kind of knew you had too as your always upbeat.

OMG in 3 weeks time, I'll be writing my one year on post too.....arghh, better start making notes! :P

Judi x

Guest Guzzler&Sas

well done Donna - always good to read people's thoughts because sometime you forget to ask people how they are getting on ...

See you soon

sas

xxx

Guest steve&tracy

Great Post Donna So Glad You And Your Family Have Settled.long May It Continue.

Like You Say The Key I Think Is Making Friends And Keeping The Kids Happy.

Guest louiesmum

Hi Donna & family!!

What a great post, glad its going so well for you & your family, hopefully a few more of us will be joining you very soon, thats what I think we are all looking for the simple things in life that give, often, the most pleasure!!

Love the post Donna, very honest & up beat. Having read yours & Jeannies reccie post I feel quite emotional, it must be the heat !!

You were one of the first families we met in HC & you introduced us to a lot of very good friends, made us feel very welcome & helped us settle into the adelaidian way of life 'wine & coffee ' & I thank you for that.

See ya soon hun

Angela xx

Guest deb and stoo

Yo Donna dude

A wonderful post and the sort I lapped up when still in the UK, it's inspired me to do a 6 monthly one as Angela did probably on one of the wet lonely nights up in Darwin over the next 3 weeks:confused:.

I think out of all the people we've met since being here you really sum up the positive get on with it spirit and are always smiling and happy, as you mention things are not quite what we imagined they would be, the money for example, but that never seems to get you down, and I like the bit about the bottle of wine/beer, good old Dan Murphy's I say.

Looking forward to seeing you and yours again soon and wont be long before Josh is surfing for Australia, he already has the hair for it.

:)

Guest deb and stoo
LOL

He's on nights - what is a girl to do:D

Yo Donna dude

Well.........you could always........:v_SPIN:.....or.......:D.....there again a large glass of wine will help you sleep.

:notworthy:

Guest Nicky&Andy

:Dhi donna loved reading your thread , its great to know you have settled in so well , may many of us follow in your foot steps, like you we intend on a big drive around to see where we want to settle (not easy considering weve alreaady moved 8 times in the uk)

best wishes to u all

carrying on enjoying & dont leave it so long its great to hear other peoples experiences

this time last year Richard was on a reccie and sorting out a job and you were just moving over. He had your phone number but just didn't have time to call.....we were really worried when he returned to the UK and it seemed ages before your first post. I have been following what you have said closely and you seem you have really got the balance, good on you. You never know, our paths may finally cross one day!!! Take care and keep enjoying that red wine-remember you have to sample every single local one, only another 500 or so to go for me!

It wasnt too long at all, its great to read things like this, we are still in England, been granted visa's

but still dithering, coming over for a reckie in April so that should make us decide one way or the other.

Would love to hear more about your suberbs research

Cheers

Melanie