Guest Kel87

Quoted 6k for agency fees! Would you use one in our situation.

Guest Kel87

As the title says really, I contacted Ian Harrod migration agency and just had a lovely and very informative conversation with one of his staff.

My original plan was to do without an agent however my husband is originally Turkish and Im worried that this may cause problems and the more I look into the more I feel we may be best with an agent. They did state that it can get complex with him having only lived in the UK for 7 years.

Ian Harrods quoted appox 6k for IELTS, nurse skills assesment, visa fees, medicals, police checks and their fee. I forgot to ask if that is $ or £ as she was quoted some costs in £s and others on $s like visa in $, medicals in £s etc.

Its a lot of money but I think we may need them!

Ian Harrop (I think that is who you mean) has a great reputation. If you want to shop around other reputable agents and see what they say, fair enough. But if you feel after that Ian is the way forward, then pay your money.

Just be aware there are so not so good agents/companies out there who may charge less but won't do a decent job.

I would just like to say that Ian Harrop has retired and sold his business on. He is a neighbour of mine and had a very good reputation as an immigration company, and I trust that the new owners of the company are continuing in the same vein.

Why not start the application process yourself as I did. Only when I struck a problem did I appoint an agent (Thames Migration). You realy dont need an agent for IELTS or even skills assesment (although thats where I struck the problem)

Guest Kel87

Thanks all for the replies, yes Ian harrop is who I mean :)

Why not start the application process yourself as I did. Only when I struck a problem did I appoint an agent (Thames Migration). You realy dont need an agent for IELTS or even skills assesment (although thats where I struck the problem)

Didnt realise you could do that. I feel very confident that I know what I'm doing just worried that with my husband being Turkish we may encounter some problems!

I didnt realise you could appoint one at certain points, I think I may do our IELTS ourselves and then apply for my skills assesment alone. At this stage am I right in saying my husband doesn't really matter as its only my skills being assessed?

Ive got a feeling that any issues we may encounter wont really appear till we actually apply for the visa and they need his CRB check etc.

The only stages my wife has become involved has been

1 visa application

2 medical

3 police checks

With visa application they wanted to know her background, employment, country of origin etc and education level. Everything else has been for me to demonstrate as the main visa applicant.

S

Guest LittleGreenMan

I agree. We did it ourselves as we'll. As long as you read up and provide them with plenty of what they want and in accordance with their guidelines it should be smooth sailing. HR country or not, the process is the same, only the checks DIAC will run will be more extensive resulting in a longer processing time which will also be the case if you use an agent. Good luck.

I would just like to say that Ian Harrop has retired and sold his business on. He is a neighbour of mine and had a very good reputation as an immigration company, and I trust that the new owners of the company are continuing in the same vein.

I just want to say I feel a bit sad reading this post that Ian Harrop has retired (although I'm sure he's earned his Big Rest!), because he was our inspiration and rock in the the early stages of our application process for our visa to return to Oz after a very long absence.

I just want to say how much we appreciated all his help and sage advice during those early stages (as well as his lovely wife Jenny and Peter), and even though we ended up engaging a MARA agent in Adelaide (recommended by Ian), who saw us through the rest of the process (to a successful conclusion!!), my husband and I will never forget Ian and will always be grateful to him for all his help and advice.

Thanks Ian! Happy retirement! God Bless!! xx

Hi All

https://www.mara.gov.au/agent/ARDetails.aspx?ud=3491&BackToSearch=True&FolderID=394

Please see the link above. I do not know whether or not Ian Harrop has retired but I think that the MARA has fairly strict rules about all this.

I certainly believe that Ian will probably have considered retiring because the recent changes to Australia's skilled immigation programme has decimated the volumes of work that RMAs (Registered Migration Agents) have been able to attract during the last 3 years or so. I think this is probably worse for RMAs in the UK than elsewhere because of the enfeebled state of £££ sterling against a basket of other currencies, including against $$$ AUD.

Ian Harrop used to work for DIAC, as they are now called (the [Australian] Depaartment of Immigration And Citizenship. I heard that someone persuaded them to add "And" because otherwise they would have been called DIC....) I was told by another RMA that Ian Harrop came to the UK during the 1990s, to be the Principal Migration Officer at the Aussie High Commission in London. He then left DIAC - whatever its name was at the time - and became an RMA instead.

I have always had masses of time for Ian Harrop. He has always been brilliant at getting a problem by the scruff of its neck and sorting it out.

Kel87, I have no hesitation in recommending Ian Harrop to you. The "fees" sound quite reasonable because they are actually a description of the overall costs. Also, you have explained that you might run into problems because of your Hubby being Turkish etc.

Have you come across a lady called "Professional Princess?" PP posts on the British Expat forum. That has some sort of "general chat" section, on which PP posts. She is English but her husband is Algerian. They used my friend George Lombard in Sydney. (PP calls him 'The Lombard!') Apparently, it took two years for the couple's PR visa to be granted but they got it in the end and moved to Perth. I love PP's posts because she is a very good writer with a wicked sense of humour.

George Lombard always speaks very highly of Ian Harrop. George himself is also very, very good at being an RMA. I can't count the number of times that I have told visa applicants in strife, "Please relax. Thee and me will wail at Uncle George and I am sure he will be able to sort this out." He has never failed to succeed.

https://www.mara.gov.au/agent/ARDetails.aspx?ud=4208&BackToSearch=True&FolderID=394

If for any reason Ian Harrop cannot help then I would recommend George Lombard instead. Otherwise, stick with Ian unless he really has retired.

Cheers

Gill

Edited by Gollywobbler

Guest Guest11535

We are using Go Matilda and they are very good, £6k seems about right for the fees and skills assessment etc, Allan Collett puts quite a lot of posts on PIO forum although I haven't seen him on here yet. My suggestion is to shop around the MARA agents and use the one which would suit your needs.

Best Regards

garyupnorth.

I realise that everyones situations are different and can only speak about my own. My wife and I also went to an agent at first and the price was so high (too high for us at least) that we decided to handle the whole process ourselves. I am British with a British education, so the trade recognition part was relatively straight forward and for my wife's part (she is Israeli), only the IELTS and a few translations were required. The Visa was in my name and I didn't claim points for my wife, so we only needed to prove her English abilities (to cut the price of the visa in half). It took 1 year in total for the whole process and now we have the visa and the flights booked for August. I am sure that the process could have been cut shorter by the agent, but it all worked out perfect for us in the end without her and we saved the equivalent of 3 months salary.

Like I say, in our case it was quite straight forward (well I thought so anyway) - although you need to do a lot of reading of a lot of Pdf's, forums, application guidlines, application requirements etc. Its like a degree, but if you read everything carefully and follow all of the steps 1 by 1, there's no reason why you won't be granted the visa (assuming of course that you can prove that you are eligible to receive the points that you claim).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Geoff.

Have a good shop around with agents recommended to you. We are now complete, visa granted and all in I would guess we paid circa £3,500 plus IELTS. I was a simple case however prices being quoted do seem a little high. I can only praise the service we received including face to face consultation and a free show/presentation, always happy to answer questions and importantly always picked up the phone unlike a lot of other agents. Finally it is important to have an agent with experience or even a presence in Australia in case of any issues.

S

Hi, just read your post and thought I would put your mind at ease I know the money is a lot but we used Ian harrop and Jenny was our main contact and they were fantastic helped us every step of the way so we would fully recommend them, any questions just ask away

Best of luck scott&kerry

Guest Angie1

You can do it yourself! These companies are out to make money get on the immi.gov web site and research it yourself. You will be quicker applying for sponsorship through your nursing. Go on the Australian nursing board website and look at how to transfer you skills. All you need to do is send the form to the uk board and they do all the work. You just have to supply the correct documentation. The uk board has all your training profile. If you start writing to the hospitals in Adelaide looking for jobs I'm sure you'll get one. They can then sponsor you. All you have to do is work full time for two years and then you can live or work wherever you want