Hot Hot Hot!

Guest Xhako

OMG just seen the weather report, am visiting for the first time in a couple of weeks and it seems to be BOILING!

How do you cope with it?

OH has an interview - fingers x

I was only saying the other day when I saw on the TV that Western Aust was having a heat wave, that we usually get their weather and it looks like we have! Let's hope it doesn't last as long. I like the hot weather but when it gets this hot you really can only go out in it in short bursts. As Tamara says at least it doesn't get humid very often. If you can sleep at night then that is half the battle. Drink lots of cool water and if you are out in it then make sure you have UV protection. We usually have salads to eat and it is quite nice to sit outside at night when the sun isn't beating down on you.

It might have managed to cool down by then!!!

As said ,it is a drier heat so easier to deal with.

As long as your car and house have aircon!!

If no air-con, a trip to a Westfield shopping centre like Marion is good and a long swim (with t-shirts and hats on:biglaugh:) after 5.00pm is nice too.

As long as your car and house have aircon!!

Jeez, but you're posh! Do fans count as aircon...... :goofy:?

Seriously, there are only usually a couple of weeks during summer and winter when I wish we had 'proper' aircon but I have found that my tolerance for the heat has risen - which is great during summer but totally sucks during winter lol! One day we will have ducted and my family will love me ;)

We make sure the curtains/blinds are pulled during the day and keep windows closed. Sometimes I will put soaking sheets near the screen doors etc if there's a bit of a breeze but I try not to go to shopping centres during the heat...it's horrible driving round and round trying to find a park cos the whole of Adelaide seem to be there! :shocked: Oh and I take the dogs out to the beach or early in the morning, put ice blocks in their water bowls etc.

I suppose I'm trying to say, it's ok. Not the best when it's over 40C but ok. And as everyone says, at least it doesn't tend to be humid

Don't worry,

:cool:

LC

Guest Guest75
Jeez, but you're posh! Do fans count as aircon...... :goofy:?

Seriously, there are only usually a couple of weeks during summer and winter when I wish we had 'proper' aircon but I have found that my tolerance for the heat has risen - which is great during summer but totally sucks during winter lol! One day we will have ducted and my family will love me ;)

LC

I've had to learn tolerance with SOME of the friends I have:tongue::tongue:

Have yer lungs gotten back to normal after the flare display????

Guest Guest75

Just while we are on about the heat.............. Don't forget your doggies...

Please don't walk them in this heat.

If you can't stand on paving in bare feet - why should they???:wideeyed:

Our Bedlington Boys are bored but at least they won't have blisters!!!

ahhh thanks guys, im currently in Sheffield scraping the ice from the inside of my windscreen before I leave for work, you can see how it could be a bit odd coming to such a hot place

LC & Tyke you crack me up. :biglaugh:

There's a neat guide that SA Health have produced around Extreme Heat - this is just one of them (link below) - they have others specifically for children, teenagers, older people, pregnant women. It's really quite serious when people underestimate what the really hot weather can do.

http://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/2e1d0880431be06eb42eff5fdfb58e26/Heat-Coping-with-extreme-heat-A5Book-PH-EMU-20111122.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=2e1d0880431be06eb42eff5fdfb58e26

Crikey! Has the weather changed since the 70's? We used to always have a couple of weeks where the weather would touch 40 or above!! I remember once that we were nearly sent home from school as the temperature was up to 44/45 but it had to be 46 to be sent home - how gutted were we as kids!

PS by a couple of weeks i mean total of days not a full week all at once.

Lazy Cow you saying about drawing the curtains etc made me smile as that is what my mum used to do when it got to 32 and above. We used to meet dad at the door and warn him that it was salad again and mum wasnt in a good mood.....................lol. He would have already worked that out as the curtains were drawn...lol! Hence the reason why they returned after 13 years!!!!!

Enjoy it Guys and Gals but sensibly.

Guest Guest75

Wait until we really get nasty with each other.

Cutting repartee at dawn!!

Apologies to the original poster.................. have to keep some folk in line!

Guest guest8040

Been reading about the heat - is this extreme unusual??? Thanks for the link to the leaflet, I was reading in the uk news about a British boy who died in Perth recently when walking with his dad :( as we have never been accustomed to such heat I wondered what advice there was so cheers!

Crikey! Has the weather changed since the 70's? We used to always have a couple of weeks where the weather would touch 40 or above!! I remember once that we were nearly sent home from school as the temperature was up to 44/45 but it had to be 46 to be sent home - how gutted were we as kids!

PS by a couple of weeks i mean total of days not a full week all at once.

Lazy Cow you saying about drawing the curtains etc made me smile as that is what my mum used to do when it got to 32 and above. We used to meet dad at the door and warn him that it was salad again and mum wasnt in a good mood.....................lol. He would have already worked that out as the curtains were drawn...lol! Hence the reason why they returned after 13 years!!!!!

Enjoy it Guys and Gals but sensibly.

Yes that's true. I've lived in Adelaide all my life and I don't think the weather has changed. We used to get heatwaves and that was in the days of no airconditioning, we were lucky to have a fan. Us kids used to not care and just play with water. In those days we also slept outside at night as it was pretty safe to do that. We had a big back garden and used to drag out our mattresses. It was fun - we used to look at the stars and talk most of the night. Always have nice memories of family times in the hot weather. Also the houses in those days were built with high ceilings, double brick and it took a while for homes to heat up but they did take a while to cool down.

Feel free to join in bagging Tyke...he loves it, you know :wink:

And even if he didn't, I would enjoy having someone on my side - he has the ArmChairDetective, amongst others. I mean, two big, mean guys against one poor little woman?? Hellllppp meeeeee pleeeeaassseee!

HNY,

:wubclub:

LC

Guest Richie_T
ahhh thanks guys, im currently in Sheffield scraping the ice from the inside of my windscreen before I leave for work, you can see how it could be a bit odd coming to such a hot place

oooh ur from Sheffield?! I was there just last week (family live in Crookes). was raining at least once a day over the xmas period. well, between manchester, macclesfield and sheffield it was, and i arrived back in adelaide 6:30am on the 4th and it was 29C already. It got to 45C in the city.

Main thing is to stay hydrated. That is of utmost importance. If you stay indoors, dont worry about the suncream, keep the aircon on in short bursts to save elecy, keep the blinds and curtains closed, open all the doors to keep air circulating from the cooler rooms, and keep closed to keep the warm ones out.

When out and about, jump from one air conditioned place to the next.

Or just go to sleep and wake up when its cooler! :wink:

oooh ur from Sheffield?! I was there just last week (family live in Crookes). was raining at least once a day over the xmas period. well, between manchester, macclesfield and sheffield it was, and i arrived back in adelaide 6:30am on the 4th and it was 29C already. It got to 45C in the city.

Main thing is to stay hydrated. That is of utmost importance. If you stay indoors, dont worry about the suncream, keep the aircon on in short bursts to save elecy, keep the blinds and curtains closed, open all the doors to keep air circulating from the cooler rooms, and keep closed to keep the warm ones out.

When out and about, jump from one air conditioned place to the next.

Or just go to sleep and wake up when its cooler! :wink:

Hey Richie, am in Crosspool is horrible, rainy/cold and humid, a hiddeous combo still v excited for my trip, thanks for the message