asthma

Guest jamdon

Guest jamdon

Hi all my son has quite bad asthma and takes inhalers , sometimes steroid tablets but what healthcare would be better for us ? Although i have also been told that his asthma will be much better over there , is anyone in the same position as us all help and advice will be much apreciated.

Many thanks

James

James,it depends on the individual some people may see an improvement in their asthma,others it may worsen.There are a lot of pollens and native plants in South Australia which can worsen asthma.

The main differance you will see is cost.Autohalers here cost me around 32 dollars and i would imagine steroids would be similar.The non auto inhalers are generally a little cheaper.Prescriptions here for children are not free as in uk so medical fees can have a negative impact on finances.

Until you are living here you wont know if its better or worse.

Sue

Guest wijaya

Hi

I am not sure about children's prescription, but for adults, you could buy your inhalers in the pharmacy without any doctor prescription. I use inhaler only in spring/summer months when I got a very bad hay fever. Ventolin costs around 10 dollar.

Although i have also been told that his asthma will be much better over there ...

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. SA has one of the highest Asthma rates in the world - Adelaide being one of the places often described as the world's capital of asthma (although there are many other contenders!) There are all kinds of triggers to asthma, so different people are affected by different things, meaning that for some it will ease if they come over here, but for many others it will be worse.

Jim

Where do you get your inhalers for 22.66,i recently paid 32 dollars,if i can save somewhere that would be interesting to know.With regard to ventolin,that is a reliever and is cheaper as you can buy it not on prescription,but preventers are only available on prescription.Prescriptions are going up shortly to approx 36 dollars. There are variations in price but the bottom line is that if you have any chronic illnesses,especially where children are involved you will see a difference.

Sue

My good friend and her two sons have asthma and they moved from Mt Gambier to Adelaide about 10 years ago and their asthma is much better here in Adelaide. I think they also do a lot more swimming here, so their lungs also get a good workout. (Mt Gambier is one of our cooler country areas.) As Jim says I think it does depend on the triggers. There was an article that I read not that long ago that in some areas where people use wood burning heaters, asthma can be worse in those areas too which I suppose is logical.