Toni

Why do people "like"

Just chewing the fat..(there's a bit extra there since Christmas too!).

Noticed that there are some posts where there are "likes" and others where people are being helpful (well I think) and there is no "like"

Just wondered if there was some sort of etiquette around that or whether there is some direction on it on the Forum somewhere. Why do people "like" some comments and not others.....I know I tend to like ones that make me laugh or if someone is wishing me through PIA a Merry Christmas or something ..or if someone answers a question I've asked.

There is no hard and fast rule on it or anything. Some people use it all over the shop, others rarely. Some to Like things their friends say, others to simply thank someone, anyone. We all use it differently.

I tend to be hit and miss. I try to remember to click Like if I don't have time to reply to a nice post. I try to Like good replies to migration queries. And also settling in reports and so on. I often Like a post if its in reply to something I've said or asked and gotten a reply to. Posts that I feel are worthy, useful, informative I try to remember to click Like to show my appreciation of them.

I don't read too much in to it really though. I've seen it used on many forums and most of the time its used well. Sometimes not so well.

Guest Guest75

No etiquette really,just personal choice - must admit that it would be nice to see more people at least hitting the "Like" button with all the helpful posts in here - especially those lurkers!!

You can even give a cynical "Like" in the right circumstances.

Right - off my soap box and back to abnormal service.!!!

Guest Guest75
    Like? I really must get my eyes tested - all this time I've been using it I thought it said 'lick'!

No - that's what this is used for...................:tongue:

This one is doing pressups................:notworthy:

This one is making a milk shake................:arghh:

Like? I really must get my eyes tested - all this time I've been using it I thought it said 'lick'!

Really good....I really lick that....oops "like"....thanks...good chuckle always liked!:biglaugh:

No - that's what this is used for...................:tongue:

This one is doing pressups................:notworthy:

This one is making a milk shake................:arghh:

Speechless I am....what can I say...but as always this is really helpful to know...

Guest Guest75
    What about having like and dislike options ?

Oooeerr!! That would start a war.

Ya wonder why FB don't do it !!

Guest ali

:smile:I press like for various reasons:

-let someone know that I support the person on what they are saying/have done.

-when a post brings a smile on my face.

-when someone helps others out with their questions or problem

I like to 'like' :smile:

Cheers, :smile:

Ali

Absolutely. Sometimes it's helpful to like something where people are giving advice, but have differing opinions. THat might help the person asking for advice see what the majority of those reading are thinking. So it may not be so much of a popularity question (does my post look good in this??!!!) but actually helpful to weigh advice. I certainly do that on fb if I am in a group where someone asks a question and there are a number of replies - I will "like" all the ones I agree with before I add something similar, or I may simply like them and post nothing extra if it has already been said.

So it's good to like something you agree with even if you aren't planning on posting.

Good to like as well ,cos it creates goodwill and posters become familiar, etc.

I will also like if I think someone needs support or encouragement, or if they make me laugh. It's nice to know someone agrees with you where you have shared an opinion, so because that is how likes make me feel, I do the same for others.

There is my "like language" !!!!!!

Guest Guest75

At the end........it is simple recognition and saying thanks. A lot of this needs doing in a voluntary forum such as this. Lot's of folk would have struggled without PIA and it's members!!!

Edited by Guest75
    Shpeeling mishtak

You can even give a cynical "Like" in the right circumstances.

What are you on, you daft old man? How would anyone know if your 'like' were cynical or not? (Although when I appear to 'like' your posts, you know they are 'hate-likes', don't you?

I think there are people who 'like' some posts purely because they are mates with the poster. However, I tend to agree with most of the prior posters; I 'like' in support, agreement or thanks because I like the thread, or the fact they've posted on a thread I've started.

I would like to add that I have never, ever, licked any posts or their posters!:wink:

LC

Guest Guest75
    What are you on, you daft old man? How would anyone know if your 'like' were cynical or not? (Although when I appear to 'like' your posts, you know they are 'hate-likes', don't you?

I think there are people who 'like' some posts purely because they are mates with the poster. However, I tend to agree with most of the prior posters; I 'like' in support, agreement or thanks because I like the thread, or the fact they've posted on a thread I've started.

I would like to add that I have never, ever, licked any posts or their posters!:wink:

LC

I'm on the same as you but a lower dose ya daft ol' bint!

I mean..................... I've liked, er licked the Queen for years in the UK. Especially at Christmas time.

But "I" can tell if it is cynical as a Like!! Living in my own world - that is important.

Guest Guest75

Dennis Healy................. :frown:

Strobe light....................:chatterbox:

One named after me........:cute:

Absolutely. Sometimes it's helpful to like something where people are giving advice, but have differing opinions. THat might help the person asking for advice see what the majority of those reading are thinking. So it may not be so much of a popularity question (does my post look good in this??!!!) but actually helpful to weigh advice. I certainly do that on fb if I am in a group where someone asks a question and there are a number of replies - I will "like" all the ones I agree with before I add something similar, or I may simply like them and post nothing extra if it has already been said.

So it's good to like something you agree with even if you aren't planning on posting.

Good to like as well ,cos it creates goodwill and posters become familiar, etc.

I will also like if I think someone needs support or encouragement, or if they make me laugh. It's nice to know someone agrees with you where you have shared an opinion, so because that is how likes make me feel, I do the same for others.

There is my "like language" !!!!!!

I think I am on the same page as you - like this. Cheers Kris

LC

:biglaugh::biglaugh: Ha ha hahahahhahahah - really like this......sorry Tyke but really do:tongue: