siandear

paying bills back in uk

Hi

I am moving to Adelaide in April, but I am keeping my home in Uk, is it easy enough to pay bills from Australia? I am unsure as each time I look it seems complicated. Also, with a salary of $82000 - what sort of wage will I take home in british pound terms!!

I am very new at this and would appreciate any advice or help - my 20 and 22 year old sons are staying in Uk and I want to make sure I keep the family home for them, but I cant seem to work out how easy it will be to pay bills once I am there - or convert my wage to see what I will have (if anything) after I pay for my UK home!!!!!:sad:

Guest Chris_J

Hard to say, but divide your wage by 2.2 for cost of living. A bit more difficult though as you're buying sterling too at the exchange rate.

What bills will you be paying? Are you renting the house out? You could use income from that to pay bills and save the transfer fees.

Comapnies like Currency Online LTD often give better rates for currency transfers - once set up it is very easy to use.

If it's things like council tax/ insurance, pay the year upfront so you don't have monthly bills. Other than that you shouldn't really have many bills if you aren't using the services.

I have just set up a Caxton Fastpay account (took about 2 minutes to do it online) as you can use them to transfer funds with no/minimal fees - my parents use them to pay bills in Spain at the moment, we will be using them both to transfer cash to Australia before we arrive (into Westpac accounts we have already set up) and to transfer money back into UK bank accounts for the same reason as you (bills etc back in the UK). Might be worth a look, we have never had any problems with them and set up is quick and easy.

I am paying for a house in UK - mortgage bills etc for my too sons (in their 20's who do not want to come:sad:(yet) and I am going to send money back for one who is still studying. Divide by 2.2!!?? Oh no, thats not as great as i thought, but I will have to survive - maybe sending it back to UK somehow saves me some back again?

Thank you for the Caxton fastpay tip - sounds useful - i will take a look. Or the HSBC bank maybe a good idea - maybe I can set up payments direct with that.

If your sons are working and earning a decent wage and don't wish to move to Aus, I'd seriously consider asking them to pay the bills they will be running up like electric, water and so on. If you are paying all the bills in both countries I think you'll really struggle to make a go of it emigrating.

Also, with a salary of $82000 - what sort of wage will I take home in british pound terms!!

I am very new at this and would appreciate any advice or help - my 20 and 22 year old sons are staying in Uk and I want to make sure I keep the family home for them, but I cant seem to work out how easy it will be to pay bills once I am there - or convert my wage to see what I will have (if anything) after I pay for my UK home!!!!!:sad:

If the $82k is gross, then obviously your 'take home' wage needs to be worked out from the net. Is super on top of the wage or does that too need to be deducted?

Unless you've got a partner also earning, you'll really struggle to pay a mortgage and bills in the UK and set up a new life here. On the other hand, your sons sound like they're getting a very good deal ...

Good luck!

Jim

My husband is out there so I will not be paying all the bills - I feel a bit guilty going, which is why I am paying the bills - its a stressful situation, but you are all right - they are getting a good deal and it is not something I can keep up long term

My husband is out there so I will not be paying all the bills - I feel a bit guilty going, which is why I am paying the bills - its a stressful situation, but you are all right - they are getting a good deal and it is not something I can keep up long term

O that's good. At least you'll have someone to help share the costs. But you are right, you could not keep it up long term. If your son's have chosen not to emigrate then I'd not feel too guilty about going and letting them pay their own way. If they are working and earning they should be able to support themselves (which is what they would be doing if you were in the UK anyways I'd guess).

I know - its hard - as they have their jobs, college, friends and dad here etc (although he is a bit of a waste of time!) so I do feel bad - but I wanted them to come with me. Its a difficult situation for us, but I am hoping I am not being selfish and keep wondering if I should go!!!

If your kids are all older and working etc and you want to go, why not.

I'm of the school of thought that you can't live your life for your kids (once they are grown) nor should they live their lives for you. They may end up heading overseas in a few years anyways or moving away and then what?

It doesn't have to be forever and if its something you want to do, go for it. If it ends up you return to the UK at a later sate, so be it :)

Thank you for that. Its true - I could stay and then find they both leave home - and I will just be alone!!! If I keep my home - at least I have some security here.

Where are you in Adelaide?

I'm of the school of thought that you can't live your life for your kids (once they are grown) nor should they live their lives for you. They may end up heading overseas in a few years anyways or moving away and then what?

Couldn't agree more!