Guest Kel87

Not many nursing jobs???

Guest Kel87

Having a look at the SA health website and seek there doesn't appear to be as many nursing vacancies as I thought. Are they hard to come by now? Even tho I'm very passionate about respiratory I'm not fussy and will happily take any permanent medical nursing job however I'm slightly worried by the lack of vacancies just now and worry that by the time we get over it may be worse.

Do any nurses already there have any input on the job situation?

I really like the look of Flinders, the location etc seems to fit the suburbs we would be interested in however I can not find any flinders vacancies. Do flinders private hospital pay much less than the public as I have saw that the private hospital do have a section for international nurses to apply?

Just looking for a bit of reassurance really that if I'm not fussy then a permenant position should be easy to come by.

Thankyou :)

Guest jones1541

HI, I got a job in Burnside hospital, I applied on line and an agency called healthcare elite contacted me and I did it all through them! In my experience you will only find work in private hospitals,as the public hospitals only want agency nurses, However this may be completely wrong and different when your actually living there. We fly out 26th Jan, agency have been fab, good luck :)

Claire

Guest Kel87

That's great Claire! Good luck with the move :) do you mind if I ask the salary in private hospitals? I reckon I'd be around a 1.5-1.6 level on the public scale.

x

SA health are still employing, the majority of jobs are advertised on http://www.vacancies.sa.gov.au - there aren't as many (if any) permanent jobs around, the majority being contract, please don't let that put you off. I have been employed by SA health for 2 years now and have until 2014 on my contract.

Have a look on there make sure you look for jobs that are open to outside employees

Lindsey

Guest magicsprout

i work for Flinders and its not a bad hospital, they have just taken on a load of new staff in my dept, you may find you can find vacancies in private hospitals through the year but more likely to score a public one at the end of the financial year when they look at the staff budget, that was my experience anyway a few years ago though it may have changed since. Noarlunga hospital is always looking for casuals but getting a permanent position there is hard very competitive. your best bet is to apply everywhere in your commute range and see what happens and dont forget to have copies of the work records you had for the visa including references and detailed work history you will need them to get on the correct grading, otherwise they will start you off on newly qualified pay

Guest Chelsea86

Hiya, I know of some possible nursing work in SA. Private message for details :)

Hi there, I have been looking at flinders hospital as this is also an area we are interested in living, looks lovely hospital, I just contacted the speciality ward that im qualified for and had informal chat with manager and there seems to always be work available, but I also couldnt find flinders jobs advertised, good luck when are you hoping to go over?

Guest magicsprout

you will find jobs in the private sector advertised through agencies overseas, but it would be unusual to get a public sector post, public sector is better paid and the vacancies fill quickly as a rule. your best best if you want a post quickly and cant afford to risk the agency/casual route is to apply for a private sector job for a foot in the door and then look at the public ones when you are here.

Guest happy feet

i also work at Flinders, in respiratory and i know we would love experienced respiratory nurses, there hard to find here!!! i guess it's about timing but i can speak to the boss next week and see if she's gonna have any vancanies coming up..When are you looking at coming over????

Guest rooney74

Hi Claire, I have also gone with Healthcare Elite and have landed a job at North Calvary Hospital, Adelaide.

Myself and my hubby are flying out in April.

Hope you have a safe flight x

Hi

I came out in Sept 2012 and managed to secure a job at the RAH. We did a lot of work back in the UK to get "known" by some of the hospitals. That included emails, phone calls and meeting SA Health (when they were recruiting in Manchester April 2012), finally met the same those same people from SA health when we came for a reccie in May 2012 and they setup tours of both Flinders and RAH. It was a lot of work but by the time we came in September I had offers from the RAH, Flinders and Burnside. Only reason I chose RAH was it was a permenant nuerology/stroke role which is my background back in the UK. Apart from that I would have been happy taking any of the 3 roles. I did it direct with SA Health and Burnside.

Kathleen

Guest hectorvector

There are jobs around, Ive found that SA health tend to advertise internally first and then put the job into the public realm if the position isnt filled.

They currently advertise on career one as opposed to some other job sights.

Ive also heard that SA health changes which job website it post vacancies on so it pays to do research!

Guest magicsprout

There are agencies that recruit from overseas which will land you a post when you arrive most of them for private sector hospitals, that have a high turnover of staff and struggle with the local workforce. Just be aware that these are private hospitals and therefore designed to make money so if you are in a post that does not have a set number of patients to look after for example theatre and ED and requires an on call commitment you will find yourself with 'surprise' overtime at the end of your shift to cover. Some of these also run on a high percentage of agency staff so you could find yourself after a couple weeks in the country trying to run things with someone else who doesnt know the department. Having said that its a foot onto the employment ladder here and you can look around and move when you get here.

SA not that many jobs at the moment .. Flinders private or Private Hospitals in general pay the same . Or not much in it at all.

More pt to nurse load in Private . You are worked harder.

Guest guest7049

Anyone know what the job situation is like for mental health nurses at the moment?

Guest Chelsea86

Hello,

If anyone is looking for agency work Healthcare Australia are very good, shifts always available.

Thanks

C x

Guest MandiMR2

Thanks for starting this thread Kel87, as I too was becoming concerned & thanku fellow members for some good recommendations & advice posted, especially the tip about getting detailed work history to ensure match pay grading, good one magicsprout!! good luck everyone x

I know private hasn't been sold well on here but if its any consolation my husband has worked at Calvary Wakefield since we arrived 6 years ago and he says its the best job he's had - dont let private put you off :)