Permanent Residency ???

adkat

Hi everyone, im pulling my hair out with all the visa infomation, can anyone tell me if you are able to apply for PR whilst still in england, i am a nurse and would like to do it before leaving.

My family consists of 2 x children (3-13) and my hubby who is a dental technitian.

We have made the decision to leave england and its took over 12 months to decide.

I dont know if its true but i have been advised to get PR instead of a working visa, i just dont know what to do for the best.

I have also been told it cost's quite a lot, is this true?

Please help,

Thanks Kathy :arghh:

Hi. We recently made the 1 way trip from the UK and we had to answer the same question back in April. In the end we did a lot of research on the various websites (including APHRA as Kathleen is a nurse) and posted a lot of questions on this forum and pomsinoz. In the end we came up with 2 options. Option 1 was to apply for the PR visa which would give us more flexibility when we arrived in Oz but the cons were that it would cost more and maybe take a little longer to get. The 2nd option was come on a 457 working visa which would be cheaper/quicker but less flexibility. We opted for the 457 visa as we had 4 years on it, we got to move quite quick and we saw it enough to cover a trial period here in OZ with a view that if we do like it (going well so far) we could then apply for PR. We did it all ourselves tho we did do a couple of free consultations with migration agents back in the UK (personally we found the forum community more informed though). We also were led to believe that once our employers saw us in action the more willing to be they would want to keep us and therefore pay some of the PR visa costs (which they have now offered). So as some above have already said, lots of research and scrolling forums and then you need to make the best decision for you and your family. All the best. Craig

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MandiMR2
Hi everyone, im pulling my hair out with all the visa infomation, can anyone tell me if you are able to apply for PR whilst still in england, i am a nurse and would like to do it before leaving.

My family consists of 2 x children (3-13) and my hubby who is a dental technitian.

We have made the decision to leave england and its took over 12 months to decide.

I dont know if its true but i have been advised to get PR instead of a working visa, i just dont know what to do for the best.

I have also been told it cost's quite a lot, is this true?

Please help,

Thanks Kathy :arghh:

Hi Kathy,

In my opinion the PR is better for security to stay in Oz & gives you the flexibility to do what you want once there, it is more expensive but the working visa is only temporary & unless an employer helps out with the fees for the PR you'd have to pay for it anyway to remain there. Total cost for my PR application was £3,112.94. You can apply for your visa from anywhere in the world, you just can't be in Oz when its granted (well I couldn't as I'd applied offshore, but check your own circumstances with your Case Officer). Hope this is useful, but as recommended by others, research is key to deciding what is best for you. Feel free to PM me should you require additional information, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Mandi

Edited by MandiMR2
clarification of statement made

Guest MandiMR2
????

Hi Westly, when I lodged mine, as it was done offshore I was unable to be in Oz at the time when it was being granted, some legal requirement regarding the electronic sytems of the visas so I was told by someone in the Dept of Immingration. I therefore had to keep my CO updated to my whereabouts, as at the time I was travelling. I'm certain this has now changed & as long as CO's are updated then PR 190 applicants can be in Oz, whether their application was lodged on or offshore. However, I do know that there are some visa's where the applicant definately can't be there when granted, such as parent visas, child visa & De facto visas.

Apologies for confusion...Mandi