Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kel87

Turkish community, restaurants,, cafes etc.

Guest Kel87

Not that It matters really but I was wondering if anyone knew of any Turkish restaurants/cafes in adelaide with Turkish staff. My husband is Turkish and although he gets on perfectly well with scottish people here in the UK it's also nice that he has a few Turkish friends also and it helped a lot when he first moved here.

so far I've found a Turkish coffee shop cikolatte and a Turkish cafe 'ottomans' both in adelaide, anyone know if the staff are actually Turkish?

Ive also noticed there is a Turkish/Islamic mosque however my husband isn't really religious and despite there also being a mosque here he has been maybe a handful of times and this isn't how he met his Turkish friends.

Like I say it doesn't particularly matter as I'm pretty sure he'll mix well with everyone else as he enjoys a beer and a Barbie like most men :) and is now more Scottish than me but it would still be nice to still have a bit of Turkish around, I quess it's the same as us mixing well with Aussies but still nice to have a catch up with a fellow Pom :)

Guest Kel87

Thought I'd update this incase anyone stumbles across it in the future. :biggrin:

After a bit of digging it turns out adelaide does have a small Turkish community, spoken with an Australian born Turkish girl who runs a Turkish association centre, there is monthly meet ups, group bbqs for people to meet each other and events held on Turkish and Islamic holidays. She says of all the states adelaide has the smallest Turkish community, some Australian born and others who have emigrated from turkey.

There is no Turkish restaurants but there is a couple of coffee shops owned by Turks.

The aim of our move is not just to mix with Turks only, it's more than likely my husband will make friends with Aussies and fellow poms, just like he has plenty of Scottish friends here but it is nice for him knowing there is at least a small Turkish community there also.

Guest Brummie Stew

Your perfectly right on pionts, the Turkish community small and well established.

As you hopfully will find out in Adelaide their are many nationalities and different cultural groups, much more that you would expect or maybe informed of, and also lots of culturally mixed marriages. This I believe makes a very diverse community, and one of the very reasons I love living in Adelaide.

Good Luck with your endevours, and let us welcome you with open arms.