Guest magicsprout

health insurance

Guest magicsprout

just a word of advice to newcomers, in your first year take a look at your wages and the medicare levy. If you are close to the threshold its well worth taking out private medical insurance before the end of the first year to avoid a loading in premiums should your wages change in later years especially if you are getting towards 40. Also look at the cover, some policies are cheap and just designed for the basics, however, should you require more than basic dental work for example you are not covered and it gets expensive.

just a word of advice to newcomers, in your first year take a look at your wages and the medicare levy. If you are close to the threshold its well worth taking out private medical insurance before the end of the first year to avoid a loading in premiums should your wages change in later years especially if you are getting towards 40. Also look at the cover, some policies are cheap and just designed for the basics, however, should you require more than basic dental work for example you are not covered and it gets expensive.

Hi, thanks for the post, do you happen to know what the threshold is for a famiily?

Many thanks :-)

Guest magicsprout

think its 84 thou for a single and 168 for a family this year, but worth checking on the taxation web site

Guest Kel87

I doubt we'll ever make that much as a family however I am really interested in taking out extras insurance when we arrive and using Medicare. If we have enough disposable income then I will take out private health insurance however waiting to see How the finances go so just staying with Medicare at first but Definately wanting extras for dental etc, can you recommend any? I'd hope to keep it under $100 per month for 2adults and 2kids.

Thanks

Guest magicsprout

best bet is to shop around when you get here, you can get extras only cover for under that but it wont be counted in the medicare rebate. Also im pretty sure kds get a certain amount of free dental etc i dont have any so somebody else may be able to help you with that. If you assess your wages when here over the first year and are sure you will never go over the threshold all good.

Im just going on my experiences, Im only a nurse but had a slightly lower earning partner whos wages offset mine a little and kept us just under, when we split up and i started doing overtime and more out of hours work to make ends meet i just pipped the threshold and ended up with a massive tax bill rather than a rebate. having been here over a year at that point it meant that the cost of private health also went up as its loaded for age so mine is 20% more than it would have been if i had had the foresight to think ahead and look at our wages.