Guest The Pottertons

Australia-Is it really worth it?

Guest The Pottertons

Hi all, have been researching again today and have come across a lot of info from people living in adelaide which is heavily negative, Not just on this site but mostly others. (just find you get a more mature viewpoint on here) So the big question is how many of you regret it, find they are just as disillusioned as living in the UK? Its a massive move and once made i imagine its pretty horrendous and difficult to throw in the towel and move back. The overall impression i got today is that is becoming more and more difficult by the week to afford to live there and that people are getting into financial difficulty.

We arent moving for money but are comfortable here and would hate to live with the stress of money worries and not be able to enjoy the place.

Any advice whether it be bad news or hopefully good would be well appreciated, i feel really confused!:confused:. xx

Guest pickard family

Good question Mark, I was thinking the same the other day, obviously there are going to be fors and againsts or is it that fantastic, everybody that I see have done it are are doing it seem to be really happy and don't regret for a moment they did it. Is it all its cracked up to be???

Carol

Guest Nicky&Andy

:jiggy:hi mark, like you we are comfortable in the uk, but want more for our children, the biggist thing for us is lifestyle, here in the uk a good six months you have to stay inside, with the door shut and fire lit, in aus ive been told the doors are shut and air con is switched on, (but at least you have a choice, old neighbours of my parents moved 20 yrs ago and love living in aus)where ever you live you have to work to make life comfortable, it all depends on the people you leave behind and weather you cope without seeing them, our family is not that close oh parents live in spain, only time will tell at the end of the day its whats best for you , personally id rather try it and if it doesnt work out for us at least i wont ever regret not trying

nicky

Guest graandjac

Good point, we think that if its purely the money then that is not a strong enough reason to go , as the cost of living is on the up in Australia, but .....so it is here.....and yes the wages are on average lower out in adelaide, but.........as the cost of living goes up so must the wages , a mate has gone to Perth and after the boom which they have had.....(soon to arrive in Adelaide) , the trades wages are on par with what he was earning in the uk . But nobody (i think ) in Adelaide will argue that the lifestyle and way of life is better than the uk , and after all thats why we are going for the lifestyle and outdoor living.

The big one to watch for us is to live within your means sunshine or not. " Dont get into debt trying to keep up with others who are already in more debt than you ":idea:.

Cheers Graham

Hi all, have been researching again today and have come across a lot of info from people living in adelaide which is heavily negative, Not just on this site but mostly others. (just find you get a more mature viewpoint on here) So the big question is how many of you regret it, find they are just as disillusioned as living in the UK? Its a massive move and once made i imagine its pretty horrendous and difficult to throw in the towel and move back. The overall impression i got today is that is becoming more and more difficult by the week to afford to live there and that people are getting into financial difficulty.

We arent moving for money but are comfortable here and would hate to live with the stress of money worries and not be able to enjoy the place.

Any advice whether it be bad news or hopefully good would be well appreciated, i feel really confused!:confused:. xx

OK Nice clean city but no work & low pay, really a large country town, sneered at by other Aussies. Lived there for 3 1/2 years. If you've got to go go to Brissie

All the families that were there the same time as us have either come back or moved on. If you're comfortable here don't go. We left here in 95 and came back in 2001 after living in Melbourne and Brissie, only just getting back on our feet now! Main plus point is schools for the kids while they are in primary, once in secondary it's another matter. It is a hard place both environmantally and mentaly. Brissie is much more laid back, but the climate might not suit you, only 2 seasons. Can give you more info if you want.

Good question Mark, I was thinking the same the other day, obviously there are going to be fors and againsts or is it that fantastic, everybody that I see have done it are are doing it seem to be really happy and don't regret for a moment they did it. Is it all its cracked up to be???

Carol

Once you emigrate you are different to everybody else who hasn't done it. When you come back you have things in common with others that have been through it, you can feel unsettled and feel you don't fit in in either country, which is why so many go backwards and forwards. There are good things about it, but be aware of the hype, why do you think so many of the Aussie stars don't actually live there!

i could be all night typing the reasons why im going to oz but i cant be bothered..now think to yourself what is good about living in the uk? we are constantly paying tax on everything and dont get anything back unless your name is ABDULA MADACQABLE SOMYTHER DEIINKOMUYT SMITH your will get a free 5 bed house all bills payed and we will give then loads of money as well because we are scared of kicking them out the counrty :arghh:

GOD I HATE ENGLAND

alex

i could be all night typing the reasons why im going to oz but i cant be bothered..now think to yourself what is good about living in the uk? we are constantly paying tax on everything and dont get anything back unless your name is ABDULA MADACQABLE SOMYTHER DEIINKOMUYT SMITH your will get a free 5 bed house all bills payed and we will give then loads of money as well because we are scared of kicking them out the counrty :arghh:

GOD I HATE ENGLAND

alex

Don't forget, in Aus you are the immigrant!

Guest soggy
    Don't forget, in Aus you are the immigrant!

In Aus you don't have to go back too far to find most are from immigrant families!:)

Simon

yeah i know i will be an immagrant but at least i will be welcome in australia and i will pay my way if i dont work i dont get dole or free health care, im just sick and tired of this counrty giving everything away we have worked so hard for

alex

Guest Libby1971

Hi

An interesting thread this one. People can be very upbeat when talking about Oz. By the time most people find this site, time money and energy have been invested in trying to make the move.

Is it worth it - it's relative. Moving to Aus won't make the streets suddenly paved with gold. You still have to work, you still have to pay bills, have to buy petrol, drive around, work with and for people you don't want to, still have to pay tax, still have to listen to useless politicians, have traffic jams and roadworks, environmental change etc etc etc.

At the moment I would say yes it is worth it. But not in an over the top way. It has been hard emotionally - when I hit 4-5 months in, I could cheerfully have walked back to UK, anywhere as long as it was out of Oz. I have worked through it and feel more relaxed. I doubt I will ever be as passionate about Oz as my hubbie but for now this gives us the life we want with our children. I don't think we will stay in Adelaide for ever although the thought of another move is enough to send me for a quick lie down with a cool compress!!! I can't say whether we stay in Adelaide or move elsewhere, in Oz or out of it. But for now this is good.

Our dream was to have a place mortgage free but in reality it hasn't worked that way. We just can't afford that. But we are paying it back as quick as we can but in a managebale way. It is all about knowing your limits - don't take on more than you can in any area of life. We don't live extravagantly IMO but it takes time to get things up and going and when trying to establish a home, it costs money!

Life doesn't necessarily get easier, it does get different. In some cases, yes it does get harder in some areas. But hopefully this is in the short term and if it starts looking like it will be long term, then some serious chats need to be had.

We have been here for 7months now and absoloutely love it! We have got such a massive better lifestyle. We are better off financially, we do still have a mortgage, but no other debts....it was never about money for us - (we would still come over if we were the same financially as the Uk - does that make sense?) its all about lifestyle......its cleaner air, theres so much more to do for the kids. I think the cost of living is roughly the same give or take a few things than the UK - but we spend less as there are so many more things to do for free .

Its the best thing we have done - no regrets.

sarahx

Have to agree with Libby & Sarah, its about a lifestyle change for us, definitely. Outdoor living, my children play out now like 'children' I feel happy & safe. We have no regrets about migrating & we are 6 months in.

Good luck

Angela

Having been in Adelaide for 4 months now, and visited 10 times in past 15 years, we can truly say that we are enjoying living in Adelaide. The heat of the past 11 days has been quite overbearing and it is due to go on until next Tuesday, every day over 35degrees and often nearer 40. This is an all time record for an Australian city.

We have been to Central Market this morning to stock up on all sorts of goodies, and my wife say's that this is 1 of the reasons we are here. Although staying in quite a lot due to the heat, we have still walked on the seafront and along the beach, and been out somewherte most days.

Having said that, it is not utopia here, water is getting extremely short, and gardens are looking parched, Interest rates are rising, along with petrol prices, so really not that different from most of the news from England!!.

It's a big decision to come, and a big decision to stay, but good luck to all those trying to make up their minds.

Guest Django
    Hi all, have been researching again today and have come across a lot of info from people living in adelaide which is heavily negative, Not just on this site but mostly others.

Just imagine you where on a site called 'Aussies in UK'. How much negativity do you think you would read? Percentage wise I reckon a lot more than on here.;)

Where ever you go in the world you will never find the perfect place to live. There will always be something to moan about or think it could be better. What I read on here and other lesser sites:p there is more plusses than negatives.

Pete

Here's my say on this matter.

When my family moved here in the late 70s, I was 10, admittedly we came on an easy visa as my father got a government job here. We left a large house in a country town and lived in a flat with no air conditioning on the top of a 3 storey block. My mother got a job after about 3 months. We had no car( we didn't have one inEngland either), however we had steak, roasts ,grapes, mangos. At one stage my father had lamb chops for brekfast every day. Summers were very hot and the other kids coming home on the bus from school didn't seem to be sitting in a pool of sweat. Years went by and we eventually bought our house, sold the house in England and my parents got tenure in their jobs. I went to high school but still felt myself as English. It took me quite a few years to shrug this feeling of it not being home. Christmas was usually hot. People had aunties, uncles, cousins. They were very settled whereas we started from scratch. In those days you couldn't get a loan unless you had saved with the bank for a couple of years and had a reference from someone. I went back when I was 15 for a holiday at christmas and went back when I was 19 after uni. I met my husband there, but came back to have our first child. It was then I realised how much I love this place and how much it had grown on me. We ended going back to London for 2 more years and had another child there, before hubby decided to say yes to him permanently emigrating. I guess my advice is take a chance, even if you go back you will have done what others only dream about. In the 60s my parents went to work in Saudi when there weren't many westerners there, my older siblings have been shaped by what they experienced there and the freedom they had. My parents drove across the desert in a little toyota, stayed in old palaces, trekked through Turkey, nearly got robbed by bandits in Iran, but as they were a family were let through, minus my sisters'dresses. Of course they could have stayed in England, doing the same things that English families did then. My parents took another chance coming to Australia. Here I am thirty years later, I still feel that I am English, but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Oh and if you sell up and move on, normal settlement dates are a month after the contract has been signed. Sometimes a bit longer if both partys agree. Your children wont suffer in the long run. My brothers and sisters went to Pakistani schools in saudi, were behind when they went back but were rich in experience. They all ended up being happy, only one of them lives here in Adelaide, the rest have spread out around the world successful in whatever tthey have chosen to do. It will take time to settle in here, some of you will love, some of you may use it as a stepping stone for somewhere else. There will be times when you think its almost too hard, but then you'll see or do something amazing, realise you are ok and it is only a flight away to get back if you hate it. Like I said, if you actually want to leave UK enough to go through all the expense and upheaval of emigration, then you have to be prepared to give it a good go. Think of it as moving to a foreign country where they just happen to speak English. Don't look back and compare too much, remember the good times, but remind yourselves of your fortune in applying and being accepted.

For those of you who may be trying to work out the maths I am 40...lol,. Oh and you will acclimatise to the heat, my house does not have aircon , but usually there are only a few days/nights when the heat is unbearable. You adapt to early mornings, and after darks. Opening up the house to allow breezes. This heatwave will not last forever and it will rain, that gorgeous heavy rain that you can lie in bed and hear on the tin roof. It will rarely drizzle and your coats will stay in the cupboard most of the time. You can go skiing in Victoria for the weekend or in the July school hols. You can laze on the Murray in a houseboat. Fish off the local jetties......dream away.

Guest donna T
    Here's my say on this matter.

When my family moved here in the late 70s, I was 10, admittedly we came on an easy visa as my father got a government job here. We left a large house in a country town and lived in a flat with no air conditioning on the top of a 3 storey block. My mother got a job after about 3 months. We had no car( we didn't have one inEngland either), however we had steak, roasts ,grapes, mangos. At one stage my father had lamb chops for brekfast every day. Summers were very hot and the other kids coming home on the bus from school didn't seem to be sitting in a pool of sweat. Years went by and we eventually bought our house, sold the house in England and my parents got tenure in their jobs. I went to high school but still felt myself as English. It took me quite a few years to shrug this feeling of it not being home. Christmas was usually hot. People had aunties, uncles, cousins. They were very settled whereas we started from scratch. In those days you couldn't get a loan unless you had saved with the bank for a couple of years and had a reference from someone. I went back when I was 15 for a holiday at christmas and went back when I was 19 after uni. I met my husband there, but came back to have our first child. It was then I realised how much I love this place and how much it had grown on me. We ended going back to London for 2 more years and had another child there, before hubby decided to say yes to him permanently emigrating. I guess my advice is take a chance, even if you go back you will have done what others only dream about. In the 60s my parents went to work in Saudi when there weren't many westerners there, my older siblings have been shaped by what they experienced there and the freedom they had. My parents drove across the desert in a little toyota, stayed in old palaces, trekked through Turkey, nearly got robbed by bandits in Iran, but as they were a family were let through, minus my sisters'dresses. Of course they could have stayed in England, doing the same things that English families did then. My parents took another chance coming to Australia. Here I am thirty years later, I still feel that I am English, but I wouldn't live anywhere else. Oh and if you sell up and move on, normal settlement dates are a month after the contract has been signed. Sometimes a bit longer if both partys agree. Your children wont suffer in the long run. My brothers and sisters went to Pakistani schools in saudi, were behind when they went back but were rich in experience. They all ended up being happy, only one of them lives here in Adelaide, the rest have spread out around the world successful in whatever tthey have chosen to do. It will take time to settle in here, some of you will love, some of you may use it as a stepping stone for somewhere else. There will be times when you think its almost too hard, but then you'll see or do something amazing, realise you are ok and it is only a flight away to get back if you hate it. Like I said, if you actually want to leave UK enough to go through all the expense and upheaval of emigration, then you have to be prepared to give it a good go. Think of it as moving to a foreign country where they just happen to speak English. Don't look back and compare too much, remember the good times, but remind yourselves of your fortune in applying and being accepted.

For those of you who may be trying to work out the maths I am 40...lol,. Oh and you will acclimatise to the heat, my house does not have aircon , but usually there are only a few days/nights when the heat is unbearable. You adapt to early mornings, and after darks. Opening up the house to allow breezes. This heatwave will not last forever and it will rain, that gorgeous heavy rain that you can lie in bed and hear on the tin roof. It will rarely drizzle and your coats will stay in the cupboard most of the time. You can go skiing in Victoria for the weekend or in the July school hols. You can laze on the Murray in a houseboat. Fish off the local jetties......dream away.

Thank you:notworthy:

Guest Libby1971

Rachiegarlo

Thank you, you have brilliantly summed things up!:notworthy::notworthy:

Libby

Guest Perth Pom

We left England 12 years ago.

If we could turn the clock back, knowing what we know now, we would never have left. The trouble is, if we had never left, we wouldn't have known what we know now.

We are quite happy and settled here, our kids all belong here, so we will stay in this part of the world for the forseeable future.

We had a comfortable life in England, and we have struggled a lot in our last 12 years. We would have been mortgage free in UK by now. In OZ, we now have a HUGE mortgage. BUT, we have a pool, 5 bed house, 3 cars, spa, snooker room etc, etc.

Do we regret emigrating?.............................NO

Would we emigrate if we had known how things would turn out?................NO

Guest soggy
    We left England 12 years ago.

If we could turn the clock back, knowing what we know now, we would never have left. The trouble is, if we had never left, we wouldn't have known what we know now.

We are quite happy and settled here, our kids all belong here, so we will stay in this part of the world for the forseeable future.

We had a comfortable life in England, and we have struggled a lot in our last 12 years. We would have been mortgage free in UK by now. In OZ, we now have a HUGE mortgage. BUT, we have a pool, 5 bed house, 3 cars, spa, snooker room etc, etc.

Do we regret emigrating?.............................NO

Would we emigrate if we had known how things would turn out?................NO

Thanks for the post very helpful !!!!:confused:l:):):)

Simon

Guest The Pottertons

Just noticed youve sold your house soggy, Congrats!!:) Just wanted to thank everyone for their brilliant replies. I feel a lot stronger today and thats partly down to all of you! I really would be lost without a forum to air my anxieties. You are all great and if you are all in oz then it cant be that bad as a place is only as good as its people. :notworthy:. Look im getting sentimental now. Thanks again xxx Im sure youve helped many of us in the on here, not just me xx Yvonne

Guest The Pottertons

Thanks rachiegarlo for the lovely post. Really appreciate the time and effort you made to ease my concerns. You seem to look at life a lot like me and so your post knocked some sense back into me! Feel more positive about things now and know even if it doesnt work out how we intend the experience will enrich all our lives, Thanks again. Coming over in may to look around and cant wait to see the place!! Yvonne x

ok if anyone reads this before 9pm watch bbc2 at 9pm its about immigrants in barking and dagenham this is the borough i live in and you will see why i want to leave if you miss this programme i t might be on virgin cable on demand channel later

alex