siandear

Bridging visa

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of a bridging visa. I am moving out to Adelaide as my husband is out there - we have been advised to apply for a spouse visa once I am out - but have been told I can apply for a bridging visa so that I can work, whilst the spouse visa goes through - has anyone had any experience of this - how long it takes etc?

thank you :smile:

You either need to apply off shore for your spouse visa or onshore. Off shore currently takes about 8-9 months and costs $2680, on shore takes about 13 months or so and costs $3975

If you apply on shore you would need to go over on a tourist visa and then apply once there (get all your paperwork in order before you go so you can get it finalised and submit asap I guess) and am not 100% on how that works with regards to a bridging visa. Or if you are able to work on it should you get one.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/820-801/

Have a read of this http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/partners/partner/820-801/how-to-apply.htm and download and read the PDF that comes with it.

If you go over to Poms in Oz, our sister site, there is a large group of people who applied on shore who can chat to you about it all. I don't think there are many on here with recent experience of it all. The application changed a bit recently (in November it was revised and the fees increase in Jan and July be aware).

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/

I am applying off shore and submitted my application and have been assigned a CO etc now.

Brilliant thank you - I really need to be able to work, so not sure if a tourist visa would work. I will go to poms in oz and see what those guys are saying - thank you!

No, you go over on a tourist visa and then go on to a bridging visa once you apply your partner visa. But I am not sure if this is possible or not.

You can't go over on a bridging visa. That isn't something that is doable.

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of a bridging visa. I am moving out to Adelaide as my husband is out there - we have been advised to apply for a spouse visa once I am out - but have been told I can apply for a bridging visa so that I can work, whilst the spouse visa goes through - has anyone had any experience of this - how long it takes etc?

thank you :smile:

You have been badly advised.

There are no longer work restrictions on onshore spouse visa applicants.

Guest becsndave

i went over on a visitor visa, i applied for spouse visa once in adelaide and got a bridging visa whilst waiting for my spouse visa to come through and could work once i had the bridging visa